1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Attack on Falluja gets under way

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Wildfire, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    Amaster, where did i say that the number of paedophiles in the us is more then any other country? i just said there's a 'great' number. and lets say for example that there are 1 in every 500 people (probably a very generous figure)

then, with a population of 294,814,281
    the US would have 589.628.00 paedophiles - that to me is a GREAT number

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @Bion, no, have you? Have you been in war? Neither have I. The truth is that even under a murderous tyrant life goes on as normal for most people, heck, humanity have lived under murderous tyrants for most of our history. It is just under the last century we have managed to somewhat put people in place who dont kill us on a whim and that only in the "West".

It may be that for you Bion atrocities is a price to pay you are willing to pay to take away a murderous tyrant (with no real guarantees against a new one replacing the old one). If that is the case you should have no problem with the killing of unarmed people, rapes, torture, the occasional infant spitted, ear collecting, general abuse, decapitations and so on and so on and just see it as something acceptable which have to be endured for what you perceive as the greater good.

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    If 1 in every 500 people are pedophiles, then there is a "great" number of them everywhere except Antartica. I mean, are you even serious? The population densities in Europe are far higher than in the United States. There must be a whole lot of pedophiles in Europe. There's 1.3 billion people living in China. That means there must be 2.6 million pedophiles! Really, this arguement is totally ridiculous. If you admit that the rate of pedophilia is the same in the U.S. as it is everywhere else, then there are a whole lot of pedophiles (using your figures) the world over.

4. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Holding that there are occasions that war might on balance be just doesn't mean being happy with atrocities.

5. Shoshino

Media:
    Aldeth, can you read? ive already pointed out that i havent said that there are more in the US then any other country!

i mean, have you even comprehended what im saying? i pointed out that its not absurd for american soldiers to rape, pillage and plunder- because they are the same as everyone else! - if one human can be capable of it, so can another

6. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I think Aldeth was talking about your statement of one in five hundred and how innacurate it is.

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Shoshino said:

In response to my statement:

So I really think the failure comprehend written text does not lie with me. I do not see anything vague or abstract in my sentence that can be in any way interpreted to mean that you are of the opinion that there are more pedophiles in the U.S. than anywhere else. In fact my contention is the exact opposite - that you are saying the numbers are the same in the U.S. as everyone else. Please, if you're going to make inflamatory statements questioning my literacy, please make sure you first took the time to exercise some reading comprehension of your own. Otherwise your comments come off sounding quite silly. :D

The only point I was trying to make in my post was that I don't see what the point is of your post. You contend your point is simply:

I'm saying that this statement is incompatible with your previous statement that there are a "great number" of pedophiles in the U.S. Using the most basic logic, if there are a great many pedophiles in the U.S., and the rate of pedophilia in the U.S. is similar to that in other parts of the world, then the occurance of pedophilia should increase proportionally with population. The population of Europe exceeds the population of the U.S., and the population of China greatly exceeds the population of the U.S. So there are not a "great number" of pedophiles in the U.S. unless you are willing to concede that there are a great many pedophiles everywhere - in Europe, in China, in India - in pretty much any place inhabited by both adults and children in any significant number.

I was criticizing only your use of the term "great number" because this implies a non-uniform rate of occurance in different areas, which directly contradicts your contention that it is the same everywhere.

8. Shoshino

Media:
    Europe isnt a country
    and when i said about the "can you read" comment, you have brought in again:

I have already said this, i dont have to concede anything, to concede would mean that i had said different, which i havent.

BTW to clear up- i consider 10 paedophiles in a country to be a great number.

i know it was inaccurate, and considerably more then that when you consider that in california alone 11.000 of child sex related charges in 2002 were committed by clergy.

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Oh my! Such venom!

I'll keep this breif, because this is a waste of time trying to talk sense here, but a few points:

For someone who seems to get really pissed off about people quoting him (even if they do so accurately) it seems strange to me that you would so obviously misquote me. I never said Europe was a country. I compared the US to Europe, China, and India collectively as examples. The reason the other ones are countries and not continents is because it seemed ludicrous to compare the number of pedophiles in the US, to say (again this is an EXAMPLE) Switzerland, because the populations of the two countries are so vastly different that the U.S. will obviously have more pedophiles.

Perhaps you never said this verbatim, but you definitely implied it. Just to clarify, I did not imply that Europe was a country. Most reasonable people reading my post would have realized that I was using that as an example.

You see, this is what I'm talking about. When you use the term "great number" it implies you are comparing this to something or you are stating the sheer size or volume of something.

Comparison Example: You can say there are a "great number of insects in the world", and this is true when you compare the number of insects to mammals.

Size Example: "I have a great number of blades of grass in my yard". (While this implies I have a large yard, the exact opposite is actually true. I have a relatively small yard, but simply because there are hundreds of blades of grass per square meter, there are a lot altogether.)

You see, for me, a "great number" has to be significant. I have no idea what percentage of people are pedophiles, but I'm thinking the number is less than 1%. To me that's not a great number. However if you consider 10 to be a great number, then I won't argue with you. I'll just concede I have a "great number" of fingers and toes.

10. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Hmm...wonder what the latest from Falluja is...you know...ON TOPIC?? :shake:

[ My thoughts exactly ... :yot: ] - Beren

[ November 18, 2004, 12:31: Message edited by: Beren ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.