1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Be Very Afraid

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Chandos the Red, Feb 17, 2005.

1. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Since you're such a fan of research, I suggest researching Okinawa. It might put things in perspective for you.

2. Llandon Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Well, "millions" is grossly inflating the numbers, for the A-Bombing of Japan at least. Strange thing is that the bombing of Dresden Germany actually accounted for more civilan deaths than either Hiroshema or Nakasaki (sorry if I spelled those wrong).

3. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

Wow.

I have to echo AMaster here. Dendri...this may be off topic...but you are certainly off-base in your understanding of history.

In truth, the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki probably preserved the lives of at least 100,000 people. Maybe more, by some accounts.

Before you start to sling around the progaganda of "which country has used nukes on innocent citizens", do your homework first.

Nukes are a threat. There is a frightening quantity of Uranium out there that is unaccounted for...Plutonium too. Instructions for making a 'dirty bomb' can be found on the internet.

All of you need to pull your heads out of the sand (or wherever else they may be) and realize that nuclear attack is a reality for our time. There is nothing out of line with the reports of the administration nor the CIA. You remind me of the people who scoffed at the notion of jetliners being used for terrorist attacks when first proposed by Tom Clancy in 1989!

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    This kind of reasoning always cracks me up. Rather than saying "You're right BTA, Iran IS violating the NPT if they research or produce nuclear weapons technology, and that's just not right." you say "But, but, but the US violates treaties too!" As if it's only the US that wants Iran to abide by the treaty :rolleyes:

Because one country violates a treaty does that make it OK for everyone to violate any treaty? Of course not. That's like saying: "Look at that shoplifter! I guess that means it's OK for me to go murder this guy I don't like. You know, if they don't want me breaking the law, they ought not break any laws." Or maybe "Hey! That company broke its contract! I guess that means it's OK for me not to fulfill the contracts I made in good faith! If you want me to keep my contracts, they shouldn't break theirs!"

So, fine you can say the US is bad, bad, bad for violating whatever treaties you think they are violating, but at least concede that Iran is violating an important treaty they belong to if they research nuclear weapons technology.

5. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Nonsense. No one has his/her head in the sand. If anything we have a "leader" who has his head up his butt. I came of age in the early 80s, during the time that either side could have "pushed the button" down at any time. Throughout most of my life, America lived with MAD. So, the reality is nothing new. We made it becuase of a lot of give-and-take on both sides. In other words, some very cool characters got us through those years. I hate to think what would have happened if these guys were running things in those years.

6. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Of course not, and I agree with you on that. What cracks ME up is when it turns out this country in question is the one trying to force everyone else to abide by those same treaties. But then again, it's easily explained, especially when it comes to military-related treaties: if everyone abides by the non-proliferation treaty and the US (and its allies) don't, then this makes the US the sole arbiter of the world. Which is something the US has been clearly trying to become since 1990. And it does make me very afraid that one country, with its own personal interests here and there, should become such an arbiter.

Does it make me feel safe that Iran is violating a muclear treaty? Certainly not. Is it good? Most definitely not. Would I feel better if it weren't and the US ended up being the only country holding nukes? Sorry, but no. If two powers hold such a weapon, you could at least say neither would use it first. If only one power has it, nothing will stop this power from using it whenever and wherever it wants. And of course no one would dare protest, since no one else has the weapon.

I don't think either option is very viable, but having several parties with nukes at least makes for some balance. Which MIGHT not be as bad as a one-has-all situation.

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    What are you talking about? The US IS abiding by the NPT, and so are its allies. Perhaps you should read a little about the treaty if you don't understand what it is.

The US is not the sole arbiter of anything. There are 185 signatories on the NPT. That means 185 countries thought it was a good idea, and they all want all the signatories to abide by it.

And what is this about the US being the only country to have nukes? The US, Britain, Russia, France, China, India and Pakistan are acknowledged nuclear powers. Israel is assumed to have them, but hasn't declared so. North Korea and Iran appear to be trying to develop nuclear weapons capability.

Of all of those above, North Korea and Iran (I believe currently Iran denies it though) are the only signatories to the NPT that are in violation of it.

[ February 19, 2005, 19:03: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

8. Lord Sven Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

"Of all of those above, North Korea and Iran (I believe currently Iran denies it though) are the only signatories to the NPT that are in violation of it."

Well, whether they develop them in breach of the treaty, or just announce they quit the treaty (like the US did with the ABM-treaty) REALLY makes no difference to me...

The effect is the same, the US can get away with it, why would it then even object towards Iran?

9. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    To me, there is a VERY big difference between announcing you will no longer be a party to a treaty, and saying you are a party to a treaty thereby reaping the benefits of belonging, and not abiding by it.

And once AGAIN: It is NOT only the US that wants Iran to abide by the NPT.

10. Lord Sven Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

What are the benefits from the NPT?

11. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Well, we're getting off topic, but I'm sure you can imagine what the more direct benefits are for a country like Iran, as well as the more subtle benefits from world body goodwill.

Take North Korea for example. What happened when they threatened to withdraw from the NPT the last time? The world body got together and said "Look, we understand you have needs, and nuclear energy can help supply you. It just so happens your research and plans allow you to make weapons, so here's what we'll do: We'll build you different, safer types of nuclear reactors and in the meantime we'll supply you with fuel oil for your energy needs." Unfortunately, North Korea took the benefits offered and secretly continued their plans.

12. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I only have a couple of things to say.

All of the Muslim states have produced this, through their own process of Natural Selection within the actual religion. All of the Islamic charities filter money into weapons and explosives, meant to kill infidels. All of the clergy consist of the most aggressive and morally-deficient politicians that managed to live long enough to breed. Works the same way with the Catholic Church; your 10 percent tithe funds lawyers and settlements, and has been doing so for 1000 years. The kind and benevolent just don't have the opportunity to breed, because they are killed as quickly as they are recognized.

If you think "unilateral" action pissed YOU off, wait until someone drops 20kt into New York. Or Hollywood (which would have one hundred times the financial impact of New York). Or Miami, or Seattle, or Houston, or Chicago, or Washington District of Columbia. A "dirty bomb" wouldn't be the same thing as an actual firecracker, but the effects would be a little more....subtle. Slow.

Dexterity of ten, strength of twenty five.

13. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    And do you believe that George has a prescription for preventing such an attack? I'm serious, EJ. Do you think that by attacking Iran that it will solve the nuclear threat by rouge terrorists, such as Bin Laden? It could be that such an attack would put us more at risk.

14. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Thank you for the Okinawa reference, AMaster. And since the slaugther there is of no relevance to the fate of Hiroshima and Nagasaki I will let it pass me by.

Hack, may I point you towards a certain John McCloy and his statement on this business? Just to give one name here. Before I start slinging I tend to do my homework.

All Japan wanted was to keep the Tenno. Sadly this wasnt acceptable to the US - so came the bomb. After the bombing the Tenno was allowed to stay in office, of course.

Everyone can dig into the details. Its a matter of mere minutes.

Sorry for venturing off topic again.

15. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    LOL!

And by that statement, you confirm that, in fact, you didn't do your homework. So, again; I suggest you research it. More thoroughly, this time.

Helpful hint: no discussion of the decision to drop the A-bomb is complete without mention of Okinawa. I leave it to you figure out why.

16. Dendri Gems: 20/31

As I said: Information is easily accessable in this age. Lots and lots of interesting insights on this topic (hopefully not only in German ;) ). Enough to come to a conclusion whether Hiroshima was, or wasnt, unavoidable.
    Enjoy. Or not.
    I stand by what I posted.

17. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    AMaster and Dendri - Please stop giving cryptic hints at issues and sources and either post the issues and sources outright if they are on-topic (sounds like it and I'd be interested in reading what you are talking about) or take it to PM. This is becoming an off-topic snipe-fest and you are both better than that.

18. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Oh, well, if you're going to appeal to my ego, I can hardly resist, now can I? :p

With the benefit of hindsight, Hiroshima and Nagasaki were, of course, avoidable. Many of McCloy's arguments rely upon hindsight, of course. He says that the Japanese gave the unconditional surrender demanded by the Potsdam Proclamation some serious consideration, and only rejected it to keep their emperor--but that he only found that out after the war ended and he spoke with Japanese officials.

Which means that the Japanese did not communicate this to the Americans. If they were that keen to surrender, they would've sent a message to the allies along the lines of, "okay, let us keep the emperor, and you've got a deal." Which didn't happen. Which means the blame for the bombings, at the very least, rests equally with the Japanese as it does the Americans.

I won't bother arguing that each and every death that resulted from the war was avoidable, because that'd be belaboring the obvious.

Anyway. The thrust of my previous posts is this; the battle of Okinawa was horrendous. Of the 110,000 Japanese soldiers on the island, 93% were killed (read: fought to the death). An additional 100,000 civilians were killed. 12,000 American soldiers (5,000 of them naval servicemen) were killed, 36,000 wounded. 66 Navy ships were sunk, another 385 damaged (primarily by kamikazee attacks--thousands of kamikazees were used). Altogether, 35% of all American combatants involved in the battle were casualties.

As the architect of the Japanese defense said after the war (oh, hindsight once more), the Japanese defense was not intended to win. They knew victory to be impossible. Their goal was simply to kill as many Americans as possible before dying. The theory was that if they produced enough American casualties, the American public would force its leadership to settle for a conditional surrender that would not hamper Japan very much, perhaps even an armistice.

Understandable, then, that many Americans concluded that Japanese resistance was fanatical and quite a bit of killing would need to be done before Japan surrendered. Note that 2.6 million Japanese regulars were present in Japan, and the government claimed to be able to impress 30 million citizens into militia groups. Whether that claim was accurate is unknown.

After the battle, the American leadership determined two things. First, that they could indeed defeat the Japanese in an assault on Japan itself. Second, that any assault on Japan would result in a slaughter reminescent of Okinawa, and as such, steps needed to be taken to insure that the slaughter was one-sided next time.

The dropping of the atomic bomb was one such step. Some in the government felt that an invasion would be necessary following the use of nukes, which should indicate how fanatical the Japanese were perceived as being.

Another step was the deployment of 5,000 B-29s and an additional 5,000 B-24s and B-17s to the Pacific. Had the A-bombs not been dropped, "traditional" incendiary raids would have conducted by 10,000 heavy bombers. The death toll from that would've outweighed Hiroshima and Nagasaki by...

Well. Quite a bit.

Point being that Hiroshima and Nagasaki were, undoubtedly, atrocities. Yet, when compared to the likely alternative--a massive bombing campaign followed by an invasion--the bombings seem, somehow, less atrocious.

19. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Yes and the above proves that USA cannot be trused with nuclear weapons.

About Iran - we don't even know if they are developing weapons or not.

20. Dendri Gems: 20/31

I said the carnage of Okinawa wasnt of any relevance to the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki for the very reason that a continuation of fighting wasnt necessary anymore. The question whether the massive death tolls of an invasion where preferable to the anihilation of a city doesnt present itself as Japan knew that this war was lost.

So we are to believe that the US wasnt able to determine if there was a chance of avoiding nuking two cities by contacting Japan?!? Informing them of the consequences of continued resistance and trying to spare the Japanese this tragedy by allowing them to surrender on acceptable terms was beyond what the US could have done?
    Sorry, you are asking a bit too much of me here.

Even if Japan had ignored a warning of atomic bombing a humane civilisation would not have nuked civilians, but would have chosen to drop the bomb over uninhabited terrain. And as a humane civilisation, even a noble one, you always want to be recognized, no? Perhaps you can see why that is not the case.

But then there are those who say nuking Hiroshima and Nagasaki wasnt a strategic but purely a political decision. The US chose to make a display of what it was prepared to do - even to civilians, in order to make a lasting impression on the rest of the world, mainly Russia and post-war Europe. I would say you have succeeded.

An atrocity for sure. One that is defended and glorified by the US.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.