1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Bear vs. elephant

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Felinoid, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Elephant. A bear's claws are pretty long and nasty but an elephant's hide is just so thick. One standard hit from an elephant would seriously damage the bear whereas the bear's most vicious attack would hardly slow the elephant.

Even if the bear did manage to best the elephant it would be a phirric (sp?) victory. In order for the bear to damage the elephant it would have to get close, when an elephant dies it falls over and it would probably fall on the bear. Despite how strong a bear is I doubt its bones could withstand at least a ton of weight.

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

-That's what the height thing was about. I don't know what kind of elephant would have a similar shoulder height, but it's a clue to whoever has the time to look it up.
    -They start in a small clearing (maybe 30 feet / 9m ?), with trees all around. It's pretty dense.

3. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    Phanty. Because they pwn.

If the bear was on his back, the elephant would crush it into a tree or rock, methinks.

4. ion Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

gotta go with the elephant, just too much mass

The bear would attack with power and get crushed or impaled

If a brown bear had a cats dexterity it would be a more interesting fight

5. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    I'm going to have to go with the elephant. As it has been said before, should the elephant put his foot down on the bear, it's over...

But I think the more interesting question is wheter an elephant and a bear can make babies together or not... lol :lol: :p Just imagine it. The thick hide and size of the elephant with the claws and speed - agility of bears (plus hairy legs)...

6. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Elephant...nature's many creatures are lucky these guys don't get pissed off easy... :D

SO yeah...they've got tusks, they've got trunks AND they've got all that strength...

Its like this...Bear's have Bull's Strength cast on them, whereas Elephants have Stoneskin, Greater Magic Weapon and Aura of Vitality...

Who do you think would win?? :shake:

7. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    I asked my grandmother, she told me that although the bear has really powerful claws the elephant would win because of its sheer mass.
    I tend to agree with her. :)

8. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

i would say it depend on what kind of bear you avarage elephant is dealing with.

Brown bears, now your avage brownbear would be beated, humilated and probably raped by your avarage elephant. considering size, strenght and rage, the elephant its clearly higher in all 3.

taking a wild berzerk grizzly in my change the odds a bit one should think, but no. even this wild beast would stand a chance vs Dumbo or any of his pals.

Now the panda, a bigger loser bear then this dont exist, even teddybears and carebears kick more butt pr anno, then this black and white pirateflag impersonator.
    this animal is so stupid that it lives in the mountains eating only bamboo growing on the plains, and refuses to mate in captivety. in a fight vs an Elephant, the elephant would only have to watch while the Panda comitted some form of suicide.

Polar bear. now the polar bear might have a small chance, given it can convince the elephant to seek it out, seeing the polar bears live near the pole, where its very cold, the elephant might freeze to death. But considering the elephants past and its coolness, it would probably just develop mammuth pelt instantly and then procede to kick polarbearbutt.

So all in all I would say the Elephant wins

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Why do you ask?

10. Triactus

Media:
    @ Harb : Fel probably just has too much time on his hands... :p

11. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

What about a Werebear? ANyone remember those? Maybe they'd pwn some 'phant azz with there uber skillz.

12. Triactus

Media:
    Isn't there some kind of Were-elephant? If so, it's back to square one.. ;)

13. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

Elephants all the way, man. :grin:

What, you want some scientific explanation? :whoa:

14. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

A "wild berzerk grizzly" (to borrow from Equester's creativity) could take on Dumbo any day and come out well enough to slap around numerous more baby elephants. :evil: Its all about psychological warfare people!

[ October 30, 2006, 02:09: Message edited by: Celesialraven ]

15. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

@Equester - speaking as a representative of the polar bear community I must point out that even if the silly elephant developed a mammoth pelt the polar bear in question would just lure the elephant out onto some thin ice and snicker as it sunk to the bottom of the bay. ;)

16. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    I'd much rather see an elephant versus a were-duck.

17. Triactus

Media:
    or a were-mouse. Aren't elephants supposed to be afraid of mice?

18. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Hmmm, it's difficult to predict, given they dont usually fight each other and all. Not too many creatures would take on an elephant. The odd lion herd might, but then your talking more than half a dozen on one. Tigers have been known to take out baby elephants, and there has been one recorded as having killed a fully grown rhino. Earlier this year in Malaysia (I think) a guy got taken off an elephant by a tiger. A tiger is around 1/2 the weight of a grizzly but probably less fat, faster and better suited to ambushes (being able to climb trees better and pounce). So yeah, although a grizzly could probably take out a tiger 1 on 1, I would think that it's method of fighting would far less effective against the elephant, where it's weight and strength would be relative small against that of the elephant.
    So, my bets on the elephant.

And Equester - don't discount the Panda, just last week a baby one bit off 30% of his trainers finger.

As for Polar bears - remember the fight is in the jungle - it would be too hot for the polar bear. Wikipedia says that there was once a polar bear that weighed 1002 kg and stood 3.8 m tall, however an elephant this tall would weigh around 7000kg.

19. Cal Yhringlor Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

• Give to mice the power to overcome an elephant ...
    • For overcome a bear (or a mouse !), a CAT is sufficient. :bigeyes: You dont believe me ?

Read this :

LE CHAT QUI CHASSAIT L'OURS
    (The Cat who was hunting bear !)

[ That adress is for the French, clearly. If you dont succeed to find an english text for yourself, and that you understand french, thereafter is the integral text : ]

WEST MILFORD, New Jersey (AP) - Jack le chat n'aime pas que l'on empiète sur son territoire. Aussi lorsqu'un ours brun s'est introduit dans le jardin de ses maîtres, à West Milford (New Jersey), le félin de 7kg est passé à l'action. Effrayé, le plantigrade n'a eu d'autre choix que de trouver refuge en haut d'un arbre, à deux reprises !

Le chat roux tigré a toujours chassé les intrus de son domaine, mais il ne s'était jusqu'alors mesuré qu'à des animaux de petite taille. Son dernier exploit a étonné ses propriétaires et leurs voisins.

<< - Avant, on en plaisantait en disant: “Jack est de garde”, mais on n'aurait jamais imaginé qu'il pourchasserait un ours >>, a confié sa maîtresse Donna Dickey au journal "The Star-Ledger" de Newark.

Sa voisine Suzanne Giovanetti a été témoin de la surprenante scène après que son mari eut vu un ours escalader un arbre près de leur propriété dimanche. Elle a d'abord pensé que Jack regardait simplement le plantigrade avant de se rendre compte que ce dernier avait en fait peur du chat qui miaulait.

Un quart d'heure plus tard, l'ours est descendu et a tenté de s'enfuir, mais le félin intraitable l'a poursuivi, - le contraignant à grimper à un autre arbre …

Craignant tout de même pour son chat, Donna Dickey l'a appelé pour qu'il rentre à la maison. Et l'ours trouillard a détalé, regagnant les bois d'où il était venu.

Donna Dickey explique la témérité de son effroyable matou ainsi : "Il ne veut personne sur son territoire".

La région de West Milford compte l'une des plus importantes populations d'ours du New Jersey.

(... Mais la maison de Donna est bien gardée.)

:lol:

20. Triactus

Media:
    For those who don't understand french, the story is that a bear wondered from the woods into somebody's backyard. The owners of the house also had a cat, who happened to be in the backyard at the time. The cat, so mad that another animal was in his territory, went to work. He scared the bear so much that the latter climbed in a tree out of fright.... twice. He eventually ran off back in the forest... :lol:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.