1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Beyond Humanity - OoC

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Aikanaro, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Hmm - if anyone wants to skip quickly through the process of everyone having no clue and on to things happening, it would be nice. RPing out slow 'OMG WTF!' scenes isn't very appealing and doesn't really add much to the world, I think (though prove me wrong if you feel the urge :p ).

And to those who don't read the Absences thread - Nakia is not around at the moment, so I guess we'll just ignore her character's existence until she returns...

2. moulderingstump Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I edited my post to get us moving.

I took some liberties with Nakia’s characters based on her description of Katrina I am projecting that she would be protective of her people and furious over any transgression that jeopardized her mission.

[ July 20, 2006, 08:00: Message edited by: moulderingstump ]

3. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'm back, I hope. Excellent post, moulderingstump. :thumb: Give me a little time to get reacclimated and I will post.

4. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Hokay we seem to be moving. I need to do a little thinking 'out loud'.

We are building a world. So far it appears to be a barren volcanic world. Oxygen? Created by the aliens or some yet unseen plant life?

Our vehicle is not a space ship but a planet ship. Small but large enough for a lab, crew quarters probably tight, small common room which would also be the mess hall. But don't make it messy. Katrina is a neat and tidy person. With a temper. Nasty temper but that is not unusual with a repressed personality. Cold as ice on the outside and a seething volcano inside. I love it. :) :evil:

Jason has developed an interesting side too. He is the diplomat of the group and I think he is going to need all his skills with Katrina.

oops; forgot a storage bay for equipment. Robots for doing the grunt work. Something to ride in?

5. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Hmm, my character isn't crucial to this - so feel free to play on without waiting for me to post stuff - I'm feeling lazy right now :p

Having oxygen be created is stretching the basic laws of science a little bit too much for my liking. There's a good scientific reason why these kinds of worlds would have oxygen in a link posted in the original thread. No need for such blatent breaching of the laws of physics :p

6. Nakia

Media:
    Thanks Aikanaro. I had forgotten this was an interstellar planet. I am detail oriented so I'll probably have more questions and comments.

We are also supposed to be creating a new language. With the team away from the main landing this could be a problem.

Suggestion-Aikanaro, don't get too lazy. Maybe you could post as the transhumanists so we have some interaction?

7. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Well sure - but aren't you going on a prospecting trip rather that to anywhere that transhumanists would hang out?

I was thinking of posting with my own character going to a transhumanist town/where ever they live and get some anthropology done - but if you have something else involving all your characters...?

8. Nakia

Media:
    Not much in my brain at the moment. I was just thinking that the transhumanists might want to keep an eye on any humans on their planet.

9. moulderingstump Gems: 2/31

I am thinking of this ship as the shuttle of a larger ship that allowed us to travel to a distant part of the galaxy, but will leave the ship detail for Daie.

I am also thinking that the named scientists would be in charge of small teams since coming here is such a momentous and presumably expensive undertaking.

I have given my team a MALP (Mobile Analytic Laboratory Probe) lifted from Stargate for convenience)). The mission must be prepared to enter environments like small asteroids or active volcanoes.

As for the oxygen I figured the transhumans could either have created an environmental bubble especially for our visit or could be in the process of terraforming (re-terraforming) the planet for other purposes. Or it could be naturally occurring.

I was thinking that we could uncover a splinter H+ group that wants to use us to infiltrate and overthrow the establishment.

[ July 28, 2006, 01:59: Message edited by: moulderingstump ]

10. Nakia

Media:
    moulderingstump, you seem to know a lot more about this sort of thing than I do. In my opinion you have done a great job of posting. Especially in my enforced absence. The idea of subordinates is fine with me. I do think the teams would use robotic equipment a lot.
    Aikanaro has the final word on things since he started the thread even if he is not playing a typical DM role.

This is an interstellar planet so the oxygen might, if I understand it correctly, be natural.

11. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

I have no such final word :p Anything you add to the RP becomes canon.

12. moulderingstump Gems: 2/31

I agree most of the work would be robotic. Part or even a whole team could be android. Who knows what concessions have been made to the transhuman way of thinking in the 300 years since they were run out of human space.

I think we as humans would be fools not to augment ourselves to some extent, but then i would also be one of the first in line to join the original transhumans.

I am trying to work out a reason the transhumans would invite us in. . . what about if the aliens that the transhumans encountered were subjugated but this particular system is having ‘insurgency’ issues and these particular rebels are proving impossible to rout. The transhumans would send us into the wilds with the hope that the alien rebels would contact us to enlist our aid. Of course they would be tracking us the whole time with swarms of nanites in and around our ship. They can then finish off the aliens and start in on the humans.

That would explain the invitation without ignoring the massive technological advantage they would have had after 3 centuries.

I am sure there are other directions to move in, but that’s one that I think will work.

13. Nakia

Media:
    Just a couple of late night thoughts.

Since I set up Katrina as barely human I thought she could:

1) Become interested in the transhumans and want to join them or;

2) Become more human. This last would depend on what others post.

Since we already use robotic equipment I just see a future world using them even more. Robots and intelligent AI's fascinate me.

14. moulderingstump Gems: 2/31

Another thought (on exploration):

As a mother ship circles a planet that the crew wishes to explore it will deploy a series of satellites in geosynchronous orbit at the equator. The more satellites deployed and the closer to the planet's surface the more accurate. With nanotechnology a few decades more advanced than we have IRL we could easily blanked a planet from space.

This is to say our scientific exploration would have very accurate GPS if they wanted it

15. Nakia

Media:
    Lead on, moulderingstump, you obviously know a lot more about this than I do. I'll try to follow your lead.

16. moulderingstump Gems: 2/31

I added to my post moving us through the initial sample gathering. My ideas all say we need to head somewhere with some history or someplace for sneakiness. I just can't find intrigue on the side of an active volcano.

I also named my team: Paulo Gia, Stajl Wert and Anna Feral.

Writing this piece I ran into something I have been thinking about for a while:

I don't think a spacefaring civilization would use the rotation of the earth or the sun to measure time. They may still call their increments minutes seconds and hours (though I doubt it), but I would want them to be more metricly oriented instead of seemingly random (60.60.24.7.4.12). Maybe using the rotation of the galaxy as the constant, but delineating time something like this: 10 microseconds (1/2 sec) = 1 macrosecond; 10 macroseconds = 1 minute; 10 minutes = 1 macrominute; 10 macrominutes = 1 hour; 10 hours = 1 macrohours...

While I think this is inevitable for us; I think an H+ split from the parent civilization would absolutely do this.

Unless someone knows of an existing system that does this or can come up with some cool names for the increments, I guess we just use the existing one. Though I hate it.

………

About a week ago I started reading The Singularity is Near by Ray Kurzweil.

From my previous research I knew that the split between the transhumans and the Luddites will happen very soon, but from the evidence presented here I see that it will have to happen before 2035 or it will be the Luddites who are forced to find a new home (since within 20 years the transhumans will far outnumber them). This in turn means that our story takes place at most 350 years in our future.

And even in that short time frame without augmenting our physical bodies the increases in information technology would mean that our ships and equipment would be ridiculously superior to anything we have today. Our non-augmented brains would only mean that we would be the dumbest things on our ship.

[ August 15, 2006, 23:19: Message edited by: moulderingstump ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.