1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

BG II - newbie thoughts

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Harbourboy, Oct 6, 2004.

1. angryguy Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

How much anti-undead equipment do you have? There's a fair amount of it strewn around. But nonetheless you will need a cleric or druid in your party, even if its only for the vampires.

2. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Heh. Two divine spellcasters down, three to go...

3. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

ohhh if he'd have run off with your FoA I wouldnt be too happy to say the least. Keep the posts coming!!

4. Scythe Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

@chiz65_
    "druid in your party, even if its only for the vampires "
    ??? you must deal with them diff than me!

5. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Yeah, druids arent really the best vamp deterrent, what with lack of restoration, turn undead and ability to use undead chunking weapons. Still got negative plane protection, though, so they're better than nowt.

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Those vampires would have been a nightmare without Viconia there.

But we've finally dealt with them (except that chatty one who escaped) so now it's time to report back to the Shadow Thieves will hopefully not send us on another mission.

Arya is now Kensai 12 / Thief 12 so now less than 200,000 XP away from becoming useful again. She has been a complete passenger to the party whilst developing her thief skills and this is ample evidence that any PC class can survive this game (even the supposedly useless classes would have been more help than Arya has been for the past few weeks - she's just been standing around for most of it).

7. Bion Gems: 21/31

So, to recap, your current lineup is: Arya, Minsc, Keldorn, Nalia, and Viconia? At what levels are your current NPCs? Any notes on especially useful equipment, strategies, etc?

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Bion, to recap:

Current party:

Arya - Kensai 12 / Thief 12 - plans to be a scout / backstabber using Celestial Fury. May also set traps if required. Carries various invisibility items plus a short sword that lets her Mirror Image. Used to be deadly in melee until losing her Kensai abilities. During her time as a pure thief she has been pretty useless as her backstabs never seem to hit (except on weak enemies whom Minsc and Keldorn would carve up easily anyway).

Minsc - Ranger 11 - good archer or uses Lilacor two handed sword. Beserk ability is useful but Charm Animal is not.

Keldorn - Inquisitor 12 - True Sight is pretty cool. Either uses his own sword that does damage when he is it, or borrows someone else's +3 sword when needed. Has Dexterity gloves so he can use crossbow if required. Does not seem to hit as hard or as often as Minsc but still pretty lethal.

Nalia - Thief 4 / Wizard 11 - more useful wizard than Jan was and can actually deal with most traps and locks. Handy enough with a good short bow. Favourite spells are Haste, Stoneskin, Mirror Image and all the various enemy wizard debuffers. Rarely has time to cast damage spells before hasted Minsc and Keldorn have already killed everything.

Viconia - Cleric 9 - complete pain that she has missed out on all Anomen's XP as she could be level 12 by now. Her 19 Dex makes her pretty good with a sling but with the Orge gloves and a good mace / hammer / Flail of Ages she is OK in melee as well, especially as she has a ridiculous -8 AC. Her magic resistance is pretty cool too, but she is always arguing with Nalia and Keldorn.

Other NPCs:
    Anomen - was really useful until he went all weird and ran away to discover himself.
    Jaheira - got in a huff when we subbed her off and ran away never to return
    Aerie - looked like she might break in a strong wind so left her drinking in the Copper Coronet
    Yoshimo - had no use for a pure thief so left him drinking in the Copper Coronet
    Jan - was a very useful character was not quite good enough as a wizard so left him drinking in the Copper Coronet
    Valygar - no room for yet another melee fighter so left him drinking in the Copper Coronet
    Mazzy - same story as Valygar really except she was a truly awesome archer. But wanted Keldorn's inquistor skills and had already invested too much XP in Minsc. She has run off to Trademeet, I think.

9. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

The good news about Viccy is that clerics level up very quickly. You'll have her up to speed soon enough.

10. Bion Gems: 21/31

So, Aerie, Yoshimo, Jan, and Valygar walk into a bar...

11. Geoff Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Ouch, that must have hurt!

Sorry..

*steps back, slowly*

12. Harbourboy

What must have hurt?

13. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    It's a joke. Get it...they walk into a bar (i.e. a steal bar). Yeah.

You know, you can dual him...but I leave him behind most of the time anyway...I don't like trators in my party. :rolling:

14. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

So you are keeping one slot open for when you get Imoen back?
    And thats gonna happen when?

15. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

@ Kitrax: Boooo! Boooo, I say!

@ HB: You can get Anomen back, if you don't take too long. It's just a case of figuring out where he would have run off to.

16. Harbourboy

Um, NonSequitur, never thought of that.

Oh well, probably too late then as I don't think that would be possible right now as we've just been whisked off to some island. We've been fighting some wierd floaty spinning pyramid thing (until we gave up and hacked up a few pirates instead.

Shrikant, the whole idea of this game so far seems to be to get Imoen back but I don't know when that will happen because I have no idea what is going to happen next.

17. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Spinning pyramid thing? I must of slept through that part. :confused:

18. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

oh I l love that spinning pyramid bit...

/me tries to think back but gets a headache...

your not going on about Brynnlaw are ya?

If so, in your tracks you are set young padawan ooohhHHHHhhh!

19. Harbourboy

It used to be a wizard but we killed him (I think) and he turned into a spinning floating thing (that looked vaguely triangle shaped). It didn't seem possible to kill him any more after that even though he somehow kept attacking me, hence we moved on.

Meanwhile less than 100,000xp to go before Arya becomes a Kensai again and get her Celestial Fury back.

20. Rudiger Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I've had that bug. Well both those bugs actually.

[ Unsolicited spoiler removed ] - Beren

[ November 24, 2004, 11:52: Message edited by: Beren ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.