1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

BG II - newbie thoughts

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Harbourboy, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Actually CF in your off-hand is of no use. The off-hand weapon is used for the bonus it provides to the weilder, not for its damage.

@HB
    Whats with Arya carrying only CF in her main hand? She can carry two. Even if CFs the weapon she always seems to use, carrying another weapon, even throwing knives, would be useful.

2. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I use CF in my Kensai's off-hand, but I have 2 weapon fighting.

3. Shrikant

Your off hand weapon gets only one attack per round, while the weapon in your main hand can attack multiple times, depending on your levels.
    Carrying a weapon in your off hand restricts its damage output to once per round only.

4. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I think the single weapon katana thing was a RP decision on HB's part, as he modeled Arya after The Bride. (Plus, two-handed fighting with two large swords is a bit absurd from a RP perspective, tho it might make powergaming sense.)

On the other hand, there are power-gaming arguments for the single weapon. The increased criticals range can be very powerful; as a kensai/thief, Arya no doubt does her fair share of backstabbing, and so the higher chance of criticals on the first attack can make a huge difference. So I don't think single weapon is a bad choice here; for all you dual wield addicts, just imagine she has a dagger in the offhand that increases critical range and decreases AC by 2. Not such a bad deal, no?

Edit: Nice screenshot HB; I like how the chunks cast spells. Also, now we have a chance to see what Arya looks like; err, a little elf-y around the ears, no?

[ December 15, 2004, 19:39: Message edited by: Bion ]

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Interesting questions. Arya has tried dual wielding with various other weapons but usually ends up single wielding for two simple reasons:
    1) To help reduce her vulnerable AC (she prefers to keep buffs to a minimum)
    2) To increase the chance of that backstab hitting and taking out the enemy with one swipe.

Ah, glad you got to see the screenshot at last.

Back at the Drow city, no sooner have we left the Mind Flayers behind but our first quest was to go back and fight some MORE Mind Flayers. Luckily we've got the hang of dealing with them now. Just wish Viconia had more than two Chaotic Commands available.

6. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Although I did see the chunk of dead flesh, that was once you enemy, casting a spell at your party, I did not see the "spinning spellcasting pyramid"...

Sounds to me that the .CRE files have a messed up death variable. :rolling:

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The chunk of flesh (if that is what it is) is vaguely pyramid shaped and in the game is spinning furiously, making its shape even more difficult to determine.

8. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Pyramids? Chunks of flesh? If I wasn't confused then, I am know...

For some reason I found that one battle where you fight the mind layers and have to protect that drow, extreemly difficult and kept messin up... oh well. So if I've made the choice of my main hand, should I ignore off hand weapon attack stats alltogether and concentrate on improving abilities? If so, whats the best weapon for it?

9. Shrikant

IIRC there are weapons in some mods which increase your backstab multiplyer. So keeping such a weapon in your offhand might actually help you.

@HB
    I didnt know you had taken Single 'Weapon Style'. But thats not what I'm saying. In your screenshot Arya had only one weapon visible in her weapon slots, though she can carry two. Thats what I'm talking about, not 'Dual Weilding'.

@SotC
    Thats right. It depends on what you want to improve. 'Crom Fayer' and the ToB axe help your Str stat. Some short swords make you immune to charm and domination spells. Take your pick.

10. Harbourboy

Shrikant, I see what you mean. I think she used to have Flail of Ages as her back up weapon until she gave it to Viconia.

The gang are still in that Drow City at the moment, performing a range of minor quests. I'm beginning to think that there are too many people in the party as most of them stand around doing nothing a lot of the time (especially Keldorn - who only has a +2 sword, Minsc - who only shoots arrows these days, and Imoen - because Nalia's spells are better). Arya, Viconia, and Nalia seem to be handle just about everything at the moment.

11. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It is not about ability! It is about company! The more the merrier! Do not worry about XP and such, take the party you like and I like to have many people. If you think Keldorn's sword is bad you can buy a new one in the drow city and you shuold have come across a bunch of at least +3 two handers by now. Every good party needs a paladin as well.

12. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31

I don't think I've ever had a paladin in my party, I hate them with a passion...

@HB Is Vici your primary tank at the mo? Do you think Minsc is better spent shooting arrows? He's quite good with a two handed sword and even nicer with a couple of maces! Go for the eyes Boo GO FOR THE EYES!!!

13. Scythe Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

@HB. How many exp are you on now? You should be fair rattling up those points by now.

14. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Keldorn has two redeeming features - a particular sword and his dispels and truesights.

15. Harbourboy

I don't seem to ever be able to get his Dispel Magic to work. Nalia's Pierce Magic, Breach etc, seem to take down enemy protections more effectively than Keldorn's Dispel (which is admittedly very useful for saving his team-mates from adverse magical effects).

Scythe - Arya is on about 2.4m XP, Imoen on 1.2m and everyone else somewhere in betweem

Slayer - Arya is the main tank and Viconia is the main decoy with her magic resistance and ridiculous -12 AC. Yes, Minsc would be better in the front line but he never gets a chance.

Joacquin - it's not the XP of the 6 man party, but the boring hassle of having to protect each of them and manage their inventory. The game would just be a bit less frustrating with 1 or 2 less people in the party.

Malovae - yes, I hear a lot about some sword that Keldorn is supposed to use but I've never seen it, and the longer he goes without it, the less use it is.

16. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I'm sure you know how the dispel spell works for mages and clerics. The inquisitors works at twice their level, so a level 15 Keldorn is dispelling as if he was a level 30 mage instantaniously (sp?). Dispel takes down stoneskins, prot. from mag weapons.... pretty much anything really - with a few exceptions at higher levels. I was suprised to see it work on a lich even though they are supposed to be immune to low level spells.

17. Shrikant

You gotta be doing something wrong if Keldy's Dispel Magic is not working for you. As Malovae said, it is cast at twice his level with no speed factor. Which means pretty much any protection a mage has put up goes out of the window in a second. Also his True Sight lets you see invisible mages and hidden thieves alike very easily.

Be thankful you didnt get your hands on Carsomyr yet. Give him that, the cloak you got in Sharkland, the gloves from Unseeing eye lair, the belt you get in a lair in UD and a random quick regenerating item, and Keldy becomes a one man rampaging army. Monster bashing fun goes downhill from thereon.

18. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    So HB, are you still playing this game? Or has RL got in the way?

And I know what you mean about a full-sized party; 3 or 4 or the party members end up doing most of the work, and the rest just stand around shooting the occasional arrow or casting the odd magic missile. Of course, that's mainly because I don't like having to micro-manage party members.

19. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31

I'm glad someone said somthing, I was beggining to get worried if you got lost in the UD HB...

I think inventory management is a big thing when you have a full party, wether its down to, far too much to dig through and sort, or using your numbers to carry extra gear, personally I do find it enoying to handle those 1 or 2 chars that sit around doing nothing, but then again I can never seem to let them go...

20. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

You haven't fought any of the dragons yet? When you get out of the Underdark go fight the Shadow Dragon and Firkaag they both have items that come in very handy.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.