1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Big BAD America

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Satiana Fearbringer, Apr 22, 2002.

1. Damona Silvercloud Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

2. Satiana Fearbringer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Sprite,

No one ever said that America had the greatest reputation. And yes, unfortunely there are ignorant, loud, abnoxious, arrogant American's that just happen to find it amusing to flaunt thier lack of social manners in other peoples countries.

And yes, I am embarrased by this. And yes, it is too bad that we occasionaly screw up, but no one is perfect. And yes, it is too bad that people like you form opinions about all of US, based on such a narrow scope.

I wasn't trying to make excuses---I was just saying that I am tired of all of the bashing---which seems to be all you really want to do at the moment. And that because I don't, nor do other American's on this board, go around bashing other peoples countries all of the time, please don't do it to us.

[This message has been edited by Satiana Fearbringer (edited April 23, 2002).]

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    In Sprite's defense, I don't recall USA "bashing" from her until this tragedy with the bombing of the Canadians while they were on a training mission.

She is understandably upset over the circumstances, so I think she can be afforded a certain measure of understanding for her angry words.

4. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

As a representative of the American people, refer to Llandon's post if you need a dose of the truth (I'm NOT being sarcastic.) And to the Brits who still hate us, TWO WORDS: Revolutionary War.

I do NOT affirm to these values nor do I say that America is great; I'm just explaining the (ignorant) American thought.

[This message has been edited by SlimShogun (edited April 24, 2002).]

5. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

[​IMG] I'm American and I'm saying America is great. Thank you very much.

Oh and most of this arguement is pessimistic. Us fellow Americans are the most generous people on the planet. The history speaks for itself.

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Ah! Two fine upstanding examples of the American citizen. And right in a row too. I can't imagine where Sprite is getting these negative views of the USA... :rolleyes:

7. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I've visited America, and I liked most of the people I met. I know some very fine Americans, and I am proud to know them. It is America as a nation that pisses me off time to time. There is a dsaying in Finland, "Joukossa tyhmyys tiivistyy", which means that in groups stupidity grows. For some reason, in my opinion, this fits Americans to some extent.

Edit: Joacqin is righht when he quotes the Spiderman. Power equals responsibility.

Ara
    (Still not awake so do not expecrt any sort of coherence)

[This message has been edited by Arabwel (edited April 23, 2002).]

8. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

Or as Pratchett would put it the IQ of a group of people is inversly proportional to their number? So Americans are more annoying as a group rather than individuals.

As for point 4 on Sapyril's list: it probably should be expanded to include not only military but also economic and cultural power. In other words: if you NUKE the Chinese you might not win coz they'll just nuke back. But in a less extreme fashion America can and will exert enormous economic pressure on almost every country on the planet - China included.

On a separate observation: has anyone noticed that the dislike of America REALLY comes into play during the Olympics. I remember one time the American female gymnasts won the team gold. Next day I saw the team and Bruce Willis flaunting the medals on TV and saying in a most annoying tone of voice 'sorry Russia'. The next day during individual gymnastics I cheered for Russia without any particular reason and felt vindicated when the Americans won only one more medal. Now, I know it wasn't the gymnasts fault, and I know this is just a small separate incident BUT:

- people tend to remember things like this and forget the good things
    - I think it gives a nice idea where the American stereotype comes from
    - I've been to America and most people were very nice (actually the most annoying person I met was Canadian ;)) but again from time to time I got responses that offended me even though the people didn't mean anything bad by it

9. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

i agree with joacqin and sprite about americans doing somethings (usually unpleasant ones) in other countries. i'll give a personal experience. for myself, i don't hate americans (or any nationality for that matter), that's because i've never been to u.s. or had any bad experiences with americans i know. but one time i met this girl in her early twenties. she grew up in one of the provinces where there is an american military base (the base have been there for more than a decade). what strucked me was her remark. she said, "whenever i see an american, i think he is a pedophyle." it was a sad remark, a basefull of american soldiers have instilled in her mind that U.S.A. is a country of perverts.

i think the "you have never been to america" is not a sufficient defense. why americans are hated is not because of what they do in america (a great majority of the people would want to come and live in america), but rather what they did outside america.

personally, i believe that "there is good and bad in everyone" (ebony & ivory, remember the song).

10. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Well I love Americans. Without them there would be no McDonalds in my town ;)

It's of course a wrong view to think that all americans do some running-sport in the morning and go to the Mac twice a day and that the cops all eat donuts etc.... I don't have problems with americans... however sometimes they seem a bit too patriotic to me. Well that's just cause of the politics I suppose :)

11. Satiana Fearbringer Gems: 11/31

[​IMG] Most of you are totaly missing the point of this topic.

It is obvious that the American people who visit and are members of this board happen to be kind, funny, interesting people who bring a lot of individuality and add to the diversity of this board. Which is one of the reasons it is soooo great!

However, if you continuely bad mouth where they come from, without any thought to how it makes them feel they may not feel so inclined to visit, stay, or contribute their feelings and ideas to the boards.

This doesn't mean don't state your opinion when a topic shows up. It simply means, that it isn't necessary to bash were they come from continously and without a second thought, because in a sense you are bashing who they are, and feelings tend to get hurt. And if you find that you just can't help yourself, maybe you should at least be thoughtful enough to use a little tact.

It is obvious that "we" (the American's on this board) did not personally do something to you ourselves, so your anger should not be constantly thrown at us in the manner in which it has been showing up on the boards. It isn't simply being discussed, cause if that were the case, and you were discussing it in a civlized adult manner------saying things like it is just my opinion ect..... It might feel different.

12. Xenecor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] OY VEY!! The more you people bring this topic up the more some idiot is going to post and say "we're better than you, or we beat the brits, or if we're so bad then how come we can kick your ass." If we quit drawing attention to the fact that "some" people are not fond of our government, or our people or what have you, then we're not going to get all bent out of shape when we have opened the door for criticism.

I'm certain not every "foreigner" hates Americans or America because I know a considerable amount of immigrants who say they refuse to return to their native country because America is wonderful. So just like we can tell everyone to stop stereotyping the American public, how's about we stop stereotyping the belief that everyone else in the world hates us. Like the previous "several" threads on this topic, we can argue until the thread has to be closed because it's so long. That's not going to solve anything. It's not going to change anyone's mind.

[This message has been edited by Xenecor (edited April 23, 2002).]

13. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Actually, I didn't say what Sprite claims. She's referring to the end line ("What are they going to do? Fight us?") from an article I posted that was outraged over France's tendency to protect terrorists. The article said that if President Bush were serious about attacking those who shelter terrorists he would attack France.

But America's military might was not the point. The point was that France surrenders to anyone who sneezes in its general direction.

14. Satiana Fearbringer Gems: 11/31

[​IMG] OK! I give up! No one (cept maybe Damona) is getting the whole point of this topic.

So, go on bashing---and agruing----if that is what you must do.

/me makes a mental note to try really hard to just tune it out.

15. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

The point, I think, is that there are over 270 million people in America. Therefore, it's a little silly to stereotype the people and more than a little rude to do so when there are Americans about.

Oh, well. I can deal with a little Euro-rudeness. And fire back, even.

16. Kitiara Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] I have for the most part stayed out of these conversations, as I have already been labeled an American hater for voiceing my opinion. I dont hate Americans, actually I have quite a few US friends, and my children and husband are dual citizens, but one thing I have noticed, most of them are from the northern states, with a few scattered through the southern states. I think this is mostly because the majority of these people have either been to Canada or know a little more about it then what they see on South Park. You say our opinions of Americans are based on your media, but i also believe that the American public is just as brainwashed from their own media.

17. ArchAngel Guest

[​IMG] Satiana, Listen to Lokken. This discussion is not a forum discussion. There is tendency to assume too much when 20 people or more have to make a statement before you can do any kind of judging. ;) (just read Kit's post above. brainwashed by your media. Assumption on assumption making the toppic grow more and more wretched and vast.)

Sure, it is unfair to blame americans and sure it would be a damn shame to loose a lot of wonderfull posters because of it. A thread about it won't help. And to be frank I don't see the bashing americans to be a general problem. A few perhaps. If it makes you angry, PM them. End of story. *That* will make a difference. Not this rambling thread. So use PM if you really want to make a change. So do you?

[This message has been edited by ArchAngel (edited April 23, 2002).]

18. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

The fun is that I think Americans are as described in this topic, but still I only met nice Americans here on this board....

So there must go something wrong in my imaginations.

Americans on these site, don't be offended for you are all great.

19. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Shralp: I'm sorry I misquoted you. I remembered the gist but apparently not which parts were in the post and which parts in the link.

20. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I understand Satiana's point. Don't insult Americans for no just reason and if you have an argument against America make it about the government and not aimed at the individual poster.
    And i agree with that. (Sorry Satiana if i am wrong)

But you do have to look at the argument that has now ensued. Let me start with this point: There MUST be 'something' wrong with America.

You Americans can argue till ya blue in the face with all these claims and ideas about how bad your country is.......and most of the time you can defend them without a problem. Most of these aligations are indeed total and utter crap (most of mine included). But that is not really the point. The point is that however much you argue back, these claims still keep coming and coming........somewhere along the line 90% of the rest of the world has developed an irrational fear and hatred of America and its people.
    You can't blame it on individuals opinions or media either. I have about 25 good friends who all have different lifestyles (most don't watch the news) and totally contrasting political beliefs. Yet they are all united in this one thing. they all hate America. And before you reply i must say that 4 of them have actually been to america.

It was only when i began to read this topic that i actually realised that i had no reason to hate the US i just always had. And i really want to get to the bpttom of this WITHOUT reading my way through an international Slanging match.

One more point. I agree that everyone else should just lighten up on poor old US of A. but i also think maybe You americans should stop being so protective (bordering on pompous) and have a disscussion about it instead of just denying.

Ok now lets see if we can all read my post and put down our next post without any insults shall we??????? :hippy:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.