1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Big BAD America

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Satiana Fearbringer, Apr 22, 2002.

1. ArchAngel Guest

Quote slamming.
    So lets get some facts straight to straighten things out.

A few facts;
    Satiana is sad because people bring her down with bad mouth comments on her and her country. She says cut it, please. She didn't ask a question, she made a statement.

She gets: a load of different reasons why US is bad. More or less random thoughts. More are less considering her initial message. She didn't ask for reasons, remember.

Jack Funk made a dare to the rest of the world(pretty unclever move, making it US against the rest of the world, again. Himself. Sapiryl was then sarcastic. And missunderstood. Both starting a run of rambling.

Sprite; makes her first move, twisting the knife in Satianas sad mood wound. Bad manners, if you ask me. Again. Satiana didn't ask a question. She made a statement. Then it escalates, without anyone agreeing on anything. The same old story over again, as ArtE mentions.
    Satianas point is forgotten in the gunsmoke, even though she mentions it twice. More and more toppics evolve. Some try and be sarcastic. Some don't. All adding fuel to the fire. It is so amazingly inappropiate to be sarcastic in such toppics. But alas, a trend in this forum.

I'll agree with Poodle, this will never end. It is so hard to convince others that the world is, for instance, blue if the others are wearing red glasses. And Vice Versa. Still as Satiana says in her last post; It isn't all ranting now. I guess it is better to be happy of a little progress afterall than focus on all the negative bitch slapping. I'll just kick back and watch Letterman now. Happy jabbing to eachother folks. And remember. No firearms. We wouldn't want to loose any dedicated members.

2. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

[​IMG] I find it funny how people can say they hate not only America but Americans.

Example:

Guy1: Hey there my names Jack.
    Guy2: Hi I'm William.
    Guy1: I'm American and new to these parts, perhaps you can show me around.
    Guy2: WTF I hate you!
    Guy1: What do you mean? You don't even know me.
    Guy2: The fact that your American is enough.
    Guy1: Can't we be friends.
    Guy2: No! go away stupid American.
    Guy1: Sob :cry:

Thats the mental picture I get from reading this topic. It's a shame. I would never hate a country and it's people as a whole. I base hate on individuals. Their race and country they come from is irrelevant.

3. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

If there is consensus, as it seems, that from this point forward, only pleasant things are allowed to be posted about America, then I withdraw all my remarks.

I am sorry for starting a thread maliciously implying, with not a shred of truth, that the US military dropped a bomb on my brothers-in-arms, killing and wounding them, and did not even have the courtesy to say "We are sorry" to their families. I invented this story to make Americans have a "sad mood". I also invented the American basketball fans who booed the Canadian national anthem at a game right after the tragedy (although at the time, I refrained from adding this detail to my thread since I was not, in fact, trying to make Americans here feel bad).

Sapiryl, all ten of the claims about America you quote are, similarly, vicious libels with no shred of truth in them. I am not sure why they are untrue, since you offer no evidence of this, but I'm sure they must be lies since they originated with non-Americans. Frankly, I'd never even heard of most of them before you brought them up, but I trust you as an unimpeachable source.

None of the hundreds of Americans I have lived, worked, studied or travelled with has every been unpleasantly boastful about their country, and certainly not a higher percentage than the people I've met from other countries. All Americans are wonderful ambassadors for their countries. Especially those Americans who posted:

"people in the US don't give 2 shits about what the rest of the world thinks"

and

"to the Brits who still hate us, TWO WORDS: Revolutionary War."

Why, you are examples of the kind of American everyone loves. You should be proud to represent your country in this international forum.

[Satiana, despite all this, I'm sincerely sorry your feelings were hurt. My comments were directed at those who followed your initial post, and NOT you. It was not your post, but the timing of it and responses to it, I found offensive and needed to respond to. I wish I had made that clearer from the start. I appreciated your sympathetic remarks in the bombing thread.]

4. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Well, Sprite, lass, if your line of reasoning is accurate then you must really be all of those things -- "long-winded American bashing" , "spreading messages of hate", being "on a high horse" and "hating everybody", "hateful", "snide", "presumptuous", "snotty", "degrading", "sarcastic", "inflated", "nasty", "prejudiced" and "ignorant" -- otherwise people wouldn't have stereotyped you as such. [I don't think your line of reasoning was altogether accurate.]

Your attempts to spin this thread (twice, even) above are utter failures. Anyone can read what you wrote and see that the truth is not at all what you claim. And your sarcasm in the post just above goes a long way towards proving a lot of the descriptions you complain about receiving.

[Edited to add: Further back-and-forth will be taken to PM upon advisement of a certain short Slovenian. :1eye:]

[This message has been edited by Shralp (edited April 25, 2002).]

5. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

ArchAngel, I agree that I got unnecessarily defensive. Sprites comments in the other topic got under my skin. I will not respond like that again. I doubt that I will respond to another topic of this kind unless it attempts to be objective.

Sprite, "gently" does not apply to your comments in this or any thread related to America. I made the mistake of allowing your anger fueled rhetoric to anger me. I will not make that mistake again. My first comment in the other thread was concern for your friends. I even agreed that the American military screwed up. You choose to ignore this. As for the "high horse" comment, I stand by it. You have demonstrated that it is ok for you to display anger in these forums, but are intolerant of other who do the same. But like I said, you don't have to worry about me posting on your political topics, or directly addressing you any more. It's not going to happen. I will agree to disagree with you and leave it at that.

There are three things I usually never talk about in open forums: politics, abortion, and religion. I'm reinstating that policy. I came here to talk about games. Whatnots can be fun. And when it's not, you won't see me around.

Edit: corrected poor grammar.

[This message has been edited by Jack Funk (edited April 25, 2002).]

6. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Shralp, I couldn't agree with you more. And Sprite, the American who posted the second comment which you quoted on your last, overly-cynical post DOES NOT AGREE WITH THAT STATEMENT. If you only looked at mt whole post, as BTA did, you would realizes I DONT AFFIRM TO THOSE TYPES OF VALUES. Take a look at my other posts on this thread, too!

7. ArchAngel Guest

Indeed. It doesn't hurt to actually read what other people write. But again, it is quite your own fault, SlimShogon. Sarcasm is such a poor tool in heavy issue debates.
    The funny part is that Sprite then uses a whole long thread of sarcasm. Like that would further her views...

I think I'll follow Jack Funks example. Politics and forums isn't my cocktail of quality spare time.

8. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Sprite, I was kinda hoping that perhaps some intelligence would drip through with that sarcasm.

Did I EVER say that any of those NINE (not TEN) things were true or untrue? I stated that I disagreed with some of them, but I never stated whether they were true OR untrue. I lack the ability to check the validity of some of them, and I really don't give a crap after all this. I simply stated some things that I had heard or read.

AND I NEVER GOD DAMN WELL SAID THAT THEY WERE ALL STATED BY FOREIGNERS!

How old are you Sprite? I mean really? I may be some dumb, vicious, stereotypical American...but I have known when to back the hell off! I have made blatant mistakes on this board before, and I've been quite the arse, but I've never before been so pig headed and pathetic as to twist someone's words intentionaly to attack that person.

Some Americans booed your anthem? Try watching a bunch of people BURN your flag on television. Whether we are in the right or not, imagine that happening to YOUR flag, and then come back and say, "Oh, no! Burning the Canadian flag is hunky dorey with me! Hu hyu..."

9. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] You're right, ArchAngel, but to understand my posts doesn't require sifting through much sarcasm, it requires the reading of every word (not a particularly difficult thing to do IIRC)!

10. Alex Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

I believe the correct quote is 'vacuous, toffy-nosed, malodurous pervert!'

...and I'm not even going to attempt to wade into this conversation...

11. [​IMG] Im going to agree with ArchAngel, on one post earlier in the thread, Jack Funk(no bashing you or anything..just using this as an example) said and i quote:
    Maybe you should have read the whole thing..

I dont normally get into "Bash Sessions" as this turned into basically(basically not completely) even ones about America which happens to be my home country and i live in it..and i am pretty much proud to call myself and american. I find it degrading not only to Amreicans that do not fit into the stereotypes, but i find it degrading to myself to argue with someone that will nto atleast attempt to see my(or who ever they happen to be arguing with) point of view, not only degrading..but annoying..and a waste of time. But as a 16 year old in a country that it seems alot of people hate, i dont see why most of those that do hate it, will not take the time to find out why they hate it instead of talking bad about it or whatnot.
    I dont care if you try to bash me over things i say/said..it will have no impact on my life..ill just make sure to try not to talk to you in the future. But since you know me as only someone that post(how ever infrequentely) on these boards, and not the me in real life..dont bash me over the things i say, until you know who i am as a real person.
    /me ends rant

12. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Just a general observation on the boards as a whole.

You know, people will read what you have to say better, if you use proper capitalization and punctuation. And for crying out loud it is "a lot" not "alot". They are two words, not one. The same goes for "noone". That is not a word. It is "no one" or "nobody".

Just some tips, as I see these mistakes are repeated often.

[This message has been edited by Big B (edited April 26, 2002).]

13. Bateluer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I am proud to be an American. As a matter of fact, I am so proud to be an American, I enlisted the US Air Force. If they offends you for some odd reason, you can bite me.

BTW - I did not bother reading all of this thread. I heard enough anti-america BS already. The rest of the world would be under Nazi and/or Soviet rule right now if it hadn't been for the United States. (BTW - Under Soviet/Nazi control, means basicly SOL.)

14. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

What does SOL mean?

The Nazi's wouldn't be able to control jack after a few years. There were many resistance groups as soon as they took over a country. Would fall together quickly.

As for the soviet, I don't know what the Americans had to do with that brake down, I do not know. The soviet were stupid enough to keep up the arms race by themselves and therefore failed critically in an economic context. That's what got them down, selfdestruction.

15. Bateluer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

SOL - Shit out of Luck

16. Xenecor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Wouldn't that require an extra "O"?

EDIT: Gotcha ;)

[This message has been edited by Xenecor (edited April 29, 2002).]

17. Damona Silvercloud Gems: 10/31

Not if you say it, "shit outta luck", like I do.

18. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

[​IMG] uhm... /me looks sheepishly

what does "shit outta luck" mean then?

19. Damona Silvercloud Gems: 10/31

It's a less nice way of saying someone's luck has run out.

20. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

[​IMG] DUKE NUKEM! - see he is american and everybody loves him.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.