1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Bioshock

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Stu, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Actually, as long as that laptop supports ShaderModel 3.0 it should be manageable. He could try the demo.

2. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

It comes with Vista preloaded...but I'd rather just format that stuff out and dual-install Ubuntu 7.10 & XP Pro SP2 on it...

3. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

All in all, I have to admit I was somewhat dissapointed with it. Yes, the athmosphere is great, and it has plenty of opportunities to use the plasmids in different ways, but there is something lacking.

First of all, controls are really run of the mill, nothing special, nothing worth mentioning other than the handy ability to switch between plasmids and weapons on the fly. They manage, and of course controls don't make the whole game, but they aren't too incredible.
    Other thing I noted was that the Plasmids aren't really that important. In the end, it's more about what you bother to do with them, not what you need to do. Sure, once in a while it's handy to fry a group of Splicers in water, and of course it's a lot easier to zap the turrets and hack them, but still not all that incredible. Although, if you wanted to, the engine makes it possible to do all kinds of wacky and cool stuff with them, I give them that.
    The most intresting/useful ones were, in my experience, the Telekinesis (essentially Gravity Gun from Half-life 2), Electrobolt (which can be used to paralyze enemies, temporarily shut down machines, power doors and fry enemies in water), Icinerate! (Fireball, sets enemies, stuff and oil on fire, very handy to use in conjunction with Electrobolt as flaming enemies try to run to water to douse off the flames) and Berserk (which makes enemies fight what's closest).

One thing I really didn't like was the linearity. It's a tube-run from beginning to the end, with no possibilities for additional quests or exploring (other than the occassional places where you don't really need to go in a level, where you can get some additional ammo and such).
    Also, the fact that you can't really die is rather stupid. You just teleport back to a checkpoint. Not respawn, teleport with all the stuff you had, while enemies will be just as badly beaten up as you left them.
    Also, the moral dilemma wasn't really that much of a dilemma. Kill the Little Sisters, get more Adam, save them, get less now and get more stuff later.

These things being said, I do point out that I found the voice acting quite enjoyable. I also found the technology shown quite entertaining to look at.
    Enemy AI is good, as already said, and they act and react well.

All in all, it's worth playing, but I still think I didn't spend my money too well. Should have waited till it got cheaper. Oh well, can't turn back time.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.