1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Books (Besides Tolkien)

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by mark the beneficial shah, Oct 28, 2001.

1. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Hmm, I just finished it, and it didn't seem any worse than a documentary. I don't recall any explicit rape scenes... most of the mentions were in the wake of war, so although he did nothing to avoid the subject, he didn't dwell on it unrealistically either.

I thought the book was excellent as well. The plot twists at the end are almost Jordanesque. I'll certainly be continuing the series.

2. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] BTA - do you think that the latest book still ended with not plot progression. The *spoiler* ending was (IMHO) a huge step forward for Rand and his legion of Doom. (trying not to give anything away for people who are in the early books ;) )

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I don't believe I've read the latest one yet; it's been quite a while, and I only read the paperbacks, not the hardcovers.

4. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] There is virtually no plot progression in Book Nine for about two thirds of the book. Then the last couple hundred pages make up for everything. :D :grin: :D

5. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well, that sounds encouraging, but I think I'll wait until the Book 'the last' is published before wading back in.

Aloha
    Vormaerin

6. Methylviolet Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Here you all are, having a nice conversation, and here I come, trying to stir things up again.

Not really.
    RhthymicBarbarian and Jack: That did sound harsh, as if I thought the average sixteen year old guy was into images of rape. I'm just guessing, here -- trying to figure out WHO would dig that kind of thing, and what about it they would like. Because, Barbarian, women hold tremendous power over men -- civilized men -- particularly young ones. And all you do is ask, "do you have that homework assignment?" and touch some sixteen year old guy's shoulder -- and watch him lose his marbles completely. I found it very startling when I developed this strange ability. So you try it again on some other guy to see if it will work -- touch him and ask some banal question -- and damned if the next guy doesn't go to pieces, too. So teenage girls are all running around high on this power rush, and teenage boys start reading about women being raped on a pile of corpses. That's my theory. Eventually they all grow up and marry each other -- then the fun really starts.

Off-topic, sorry. Um, as a child I liked Anne McCaffrey.

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Let me tell you that I "dig that kind of thing", though not having read Game of Thrones I can't say for that book in particular. But it's not just "women being raped on a pile of corpses"; what I like to see are the evil people doing their evil things and looking forward with anticipation to the time when they get what they deserve at the hands of the heros. The more outrage I feel at what they've done, the greater the anticipation to see what the author has in store for them, and the more fun I have with the novel.

My favorite novels are not necessarily those that portray a lot of violence, sexual or otherwise, but the ones that raise emotions in me as I read them. For example, Dennis McKiernan is one of my favorite authors because the main characters, the one's you've been following and growing to like through the story often meet with tragedy even in their triumph. At the end of the Iron Tower, Tuck is instrumental in defeating the coming evil, yet is blinded during the struggle, and lost his best friend along the way. At the end of the Silver Call, the dwarves wrest victory from defeat by solving the puzzle of the silver horn, but many are lost including some of the main characters, and the dwarves believe that they will never recover from the loss of so many men and warriors. Simply wonderful and emotional stuff.

8. Methylviolet Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Thank you, Blackthorne -- I agree completely. That is what all good fiction does -- invests the reader in the struggles of the heroes and makes you care about the outcome. The books that you described sound very much like He-Who-is-Excepted-from-This-Forum in that way. I guess I am more personally invested when I am not horrified. I find it distracts me from the story altogether when a visceral reaction is pulled from me; I feel manipulated by the author, and I ask myself to what end. I could tell you a story that would hit you between the eyes, without any artistry or human truth -- if I hit your buttons with gruesome imagery.

Some artists create, some destroy.

9. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Jack, I apologize. I didn't articulate my thoughts very clearly (that always happens to me on the web-which is why I typically don't post very often) I am very aware there is a incredibly large difference between sex and rape. My first paragraph sort of rambled, but I was NOT equating rape with sex. Sorry if it sounded that way.

Your reasons for disliking rape more than violence (in stories) are well thought-out, and I respect them. Honestly, I pretty much feel the same way, but I was curious about your reasons.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.