1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Bravo Tal!

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Slappy, Mar 26, 2001.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Good ideas. Keep em coming, I won't be doing it till the end of the week anyway, so feel free to submit more thoughts on this subject.

Oh and another thing... I've decided on the number of new user levels...
    It will be 20 for regular users, the moderators keep their own as they were.

I have a few ideas what those 20 levels should be (definitely fantasy related, even from the games we cover), but I need a lot of suggestions so I have a big selection to choose from.

Peasant, Berk, Squire, Modron, Elemental, Celestial, Knight, Transcendent One, Assassin... something along those lines. The more suggestions I get, the better.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited March 27, 2001).]

2. hooligan_inc Guest

Can I change my name to Vince Russo?

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Sure, if that's legal where you live. Not on these boards though. ;)
    That's not the topic of discussion anyway.

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Here's a few suggestions:

Buffoon, Bumpkin, Bungler, Neophyte, Novitiate, Acolyte, Apprentice, Enchanter, Conjurer, Adept, Wizard, Sorcerer.

Hey remember the Infocom series Enchanter, Sorcerer and Spellbreaker?

5. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

munchkin, xvart, noober, Away with you beggar!

BTA, I think we want to stay away from magic user types. Reserve them for the moderators only.

6. The Wise The Grey Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I wonder, if these new ranks might be related to the nature of each individual? I'm a bit of a philosopher, I'm also fairly skilled with effective eloquence. I'm a problem solving strategist, and I'm built fairly solidly.

The Wise, The Grey - Commander in Chief of the Mad Philosopher's Union. heh heh :D

Maybe a system of guilds would work out. Everyone would still start as an acolyte, earn their apprenticeship, and then move on to a trade. This could all fit into the role-playing deal. Multi and/or Dual Classing as well?

I don't know what UBB is capable of, nor do I know how thorough you want to be. Just a few ideas...

7. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Shura-Perpetual Idiot of the Week
    a.k.a PIOTW
    hey nice user level!

"I noob? No, I r l337!"

8. BogiTheWaverer Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] äähhh...........?

Eh, Shura I understand the odd-numbered lines of your posting, but will you, please, be so kind and translate the rest to a more common way of expression. :)

Mh, me ID10T too. *fg* On the second look i got the second line. Only the 337 is still a riddle to me.

[This message has been edited by BogiTheWaverer (edited March 28, 2001).]

9. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Guess I still suck at 'elite speak' then.

10. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Can I be the moral compass?

Or maybe the female poster welcoming committee? LOL!

11. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Sir Belisarius as moral compass?! Heaven forbid! ;) All the women would have to go into hiding!

12. Lord Bane Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Ow! 20 ranks ? Then I'd better start listing posts fast :D

Uhm.. oh yes, to take this post a step higher then mindless spam, I'd like to add that this stunning amount of new ranks is enough without the real need for avaters, altough something special for the staff should be kept in mind.

13. herf Guest

avatars should only be given to people who earn them.

other titles could be-
    berk, berkier, berkiest, berkister, berkiestest, berkiester, berkiestester.

what about it tal.

i would like to know your thoghts on the "avatars should only be guven to people who earn them" so please reply.

herf

[This message has been edited by herf (edited March 28, 2001).]

14. Taluntain

Media:
    That's my idea too and since most of the people seem to be in favor of it, it will be so.

15. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I reckon that avatar's should only be allowed for either people who have posted a certain number of posts or people who have been here a while. I'm almost certain that people would missuse this tho.

16. Bowie Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

20 ranks?

Hmmm, for the names of the ranks how about Level 1, Level 2,... Level 20?

How's that for creative? :) Of course, when BG2:ToB comes out you'd have to change the board to reach level 40...

17. herf Guest

tal, if you introduce avatars then will i have earned one?

what exactkly are avatars, i figure their sumthin like pictures under ur name or sumthin, do u get t choose what pic u want? can u upload ur own pic?

18. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    [​IMG] Heh, heh... I was wondering how long it would take for herf to ask that question! ;)

19. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Might I suggest this, straight from the Community pages:

Sorcerer's Place Team

Sorcerer (a.k.a. Taluntain) - Founder and Webmaster of Sorcerer's Place, Chief News Editor, Content Editor, Boards O' Magick Admin etc.

Darien - Daily News Editor

Erran - Head of Ancient Order of Reasonably Trustworthy Adventurers (AORTA NWN Guild)

Blackthorne - Boards O' Magick Moderator

Calis - News Monkey

Nazgul - Pool of Radiance: RoMD News Poster

Another suggestion: Any other candidates will be named exclusively by Taluntain, and submitting your own name will remove you from consideration. If this turns into a circus of requests and jealousies, then the entire idea is likely to get canned.

Just my 2coppers...

20. Taluntain

Media:
    Yes, avatars are pictures. As for who gets them... I'll let people know once I actually get it up and running.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.