1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Chocolate Jesus

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by kuemper, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Well, it's not quite that simple. Once the SC rules on an issue, it's not like a new SC can just say that they're going back with the old way. They must prove that the initial ruling was WRONG, or due to new laws or constitutional amendments it became wrong since the last time the SC heard the case. Therefore, even if you had 9 SC justices, all of whom were opposed to abortion, in order to repeal Roe v. Wade, they would need to show what flaws were used in the initial reasoning, and a religious motive wouldn't count as a flaw.

To put in another way, it's much easier for the SC to rule on a previously-undecided issue than to rewrite a law that has already been previously ruled on.

2. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Aldeth,
    I understand that. I agree that the supreme court would have to go to greater length, and of course need a case.

What I have in mind is the spread of a particular legal school, people like Alberto Gonzales, who can't find the right of habeas corpus being granted in the bill of rights in a literal reading, probably in agreement with Judge Scalia's view that only a textualist approach to interpretation will ensure the rule of law. If you're just brazen enough you can make some really outrageous arguments strictly to the letter of the law.

I am confident that a good lawyer can make an argument that the verdict then was wrong, if the popularity of the theme 'why Roe vs. Wade was decided wrong' in US legali literature is any indication. He might even find the argument on the shelf.

3. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but even if the Supreme Court one day overturns Roe Vs. Wade, doesn't that just mean it is up to the states to pass there own laws? I don't think the Supreme Court has the power to pass a national law banning something.

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    But that is basically what Roe v. Wade did... Any state that had a law banning abortions in the first trimester of pregnancy was null and void after the SC ruling. Now I do agree in principle that if the SC ruled that it was OK to disallow abortions, it would still be up to the states to enact specific laws. However, I do think that rulings by the SC can change existing state laws, as they have in the past. For a more recent example, last year the SC ruled that anyone committing a capital crime prior to the age of 18 could not be sentenced to the death penalty. Anyone currently on death row due to a crime committed before they were 18 had their sentences instantly commuted to life in prison.

5. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Chocolate Jesus . . . Roe v. Wade . . . Chocolate Jesus . . . Roe v. Wade.

Sorry, not even vaguely on topic. The chocolate Jesus didn't impregnate someone and now wants an abortion, right?

I know that we like to turn every thread into something else, but seriously!!

6. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

:skeptic:

Huh...that didn't take long.

Y'ever heard of the saying: "Every website is only three links away from a lesbian chat room."?

I'm thinking we could coin a new aphorism: "Every thread in the Alleys is only two pages away from an abortion debate." :shake:

Let's get back to the confectioner's idol?

(I for one would like to see more silliness in this thread! :banana: )

7. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Agreed: Now let's get to what's really important!

What happenned to all that chocolate!

8. Ironhawk Skylord

Ironhawk Skylord If a tree kills alone in the forest, does it make

Mmmmm... Chocolate!

9. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

No, but he died with them exposed... as did everyone the Romans crucified.

10. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    And seriously what's so terrible about genitalia? Every single human has them. Even Jesus had them.

11. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I bet it was too great a temptation for those giving up chocalate during Lent.

12. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Man, that give me a really...well, quirky, idea - break down the statue (if it remains palatable, as Rally warned) and consecrate the pieces for use as part of Easter Mass...body of Christ, anyone? :hahaerr:

Hey, "Waste not, want not." :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.