1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

CIA prison in Eastern Europe

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by khaavern, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Pictures, like those which showed American soldiers violating human rights in Abu Ghribe.

Oh, you are wrong here. I could go there at any time :p It's not far from where I live (the Szymanowy airfield. The closed military training ground is out of reach for any civilian).
    BTW one of our politicians said that such facilities do not exist in Poland. And if they were the press would know about it within 15 minutes :p

2. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I can't imagine a CIA prison without cruel or degrading treatment.

3. Undertaker Gems: 27/31

Have you ever been in such prison? And besides cruel or degrading treatment can happen in every prison.

4. Incarnate Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Well the government denied the existence of such facilities still...

5. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

The bare fact that the US would have such facilities abroad is allready a great concern. Now if no questionable, internationally illegal activities were not performed then why on earth would these facilities not be in the US? Why hide them in some Eastern European country and hold them such a secret? If such facilities exist then I think it's quite safe to assume that torture and degrading punishments are involved.

Sure. In poorly supervised prisons, but that hardly makes it okay now does it? Cruel and degrading treatment as an official policy of punishment is against the declaration of human rights and just plain wrong.

6. Undertaker Gems: 27/31

Don't get me wrong. I was only reffering to chev's post about CIA's prisons.
    And yes, it's not OK to treat any prisoner badly in any prison.

7. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    So now Cheney appeals to some of the Senate Republicans to exclude the CIA from the cruel and unusual punishment law because, get this, they might need to torture someone to avert a terrorist threat. My ability to post without triggering the censoring software is simply insufficient to handle this latest crap, so I will let the article speak for itself:

Only in Bush's America

8. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Perhaps I am being naive here, but:

Why do the American people *allow* this? Not only Cheney's bogus here, but ALL of it! I just dont get this.
    You are not lethargic and desillusioned Europeans dragged down by history, but a vital nation with a beliefe in its values - at least that is what they say. It's beyond me.

The reports I have seen... I dont want to think that the majority of Americans agree with what is done to others in their name.

9. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Funny thing is, that ban by the Senate is only a remainder because it's already illegal in the US, for all I know, not to mention an obvious violation of human rights, which is illegal pretty much everywhere in the civilised world, anyway, and it can't be made legal for a single agency by a single parliament.

@Undertaker: Be realistic. A secret prison held by an intelligence agency, let alone CIA, while abuse flourishes already in the not so secret ones, like Abu Ghraib or Gitmo, and Dick (Cheney) is trying to get said agency exempted from the torture ban?

10. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    So...Cheney says we don't engage in torture, but we need to except the CIA from the cruel/unusual punishment constitutional requirement anyway.

Explain that one to me again, please?

11. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Like I said, my "explanation" would never make it past the censoring software. It's as if Cheney and the Republicans think trotting out the 9-11/terrorists are gonna get you rationale will excuse anything. It truly sickens me, especially because I suspect that roughly half of the people in this country who are politically aware enough to even pay attention to this are going to think "gee, that makes sense . . . "

12. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Well, if this censors me out, whatever; I'll try to restrain myself.

This administration is quite obviously trying to retain control by using the electorate's fear. When someone's scared, they'll green-light ANYTHING if it means they can feel safe again. Besides, anything 'questionable' is being done "over there" to "those people" who "aren't like us." :rolleyes:

However it's been over four years since 9-11 and sadly, even a foreign war is not keeping the 'sheep' in place - approval is slipping and I (a foreigner) am hearing more and more questioning by Americans of the US government's actions.

I'm rather jaded about this whole 'secret torture prison' thing - it's doubtlessly been happening for at LEAST the duration of the Cold War, and it's only NOW that they're trying to legitimise it because (to mix a couple of metaphors) someone took their head out of the sand and actually admitted that 'the emperor has no clothes on'. *shrug*

This just reiterates my philosophy: people themselves are fine, by and large. It's when we get together in large groups like nations or organized religions that the really sick, evil stuff gets conceived... :toofar:

Oh, and I noticed something in that yahoonews article:
    Are they trying to get ideas from the senator's time in a Vietnamese POW camp?!? :hmm:

13. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

This whole thing is a fr*cking ridiculous departure from the deniability maneuver that has served Shrub so well in the past. Likely these prisons were operating in secret and may or may not have needed to submit reports. So why implicitly admit their existence (and your knowledge) by seeking a :bs: sanction for activities that they could just say they were unaware of? :rolleyes:

:heh: I have my own version of that saying: People suck, but persons can be okay.

14. SatansBedFellow Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

One year after his re-election and President Bush continues to govern from the bunker; overseeing an extraordinary erosion of liberty and hope. Now it would seem his administration has become its own republic of fear.

15. Cernak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Bush presented a defence of his administration's position on torture at a press conference in Panama yesterday. If I followed his stumbling syntax correctly, what he said was: "We do not commit illegal acts. Torture is illegal. Therefore, we do not torture." I'm paraphrasing, of course. Bad grammar is a pretty good way to conceal your meaning.

16. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

The vast majority of Americans are not Muslim nor do they physically appear as if they might be; the vast majority believes it will never be them who is tortured, hence, let the evil men suffer for there will no negative consequences for the vast majority. A time will come when someone "Middle America" can relate to will be tortured, and then a change will occur; at least that is what I believe and hope happens soon.

Does anyone know a nice white quarterback who would want to volunteer?

Edit...

What I would do, had I the money, is found an organization called "Americans for the Humane Treatment of Prisoners." We would then videotape, with cinematic flair, a nice good looking young white male volunteer being tortured. By torture I mean all the techniques known to be used by the American government: sleep deprivation, constant exposure to loud noise, water-boarding, terror-inducement, etc., ect... The next step would be to buy blocks of commercial time on the main television networks. And then display...

Finish by a statement saying, "These are the methods your government uses to protect you. Will you allow this to continue?" Have the nice white kid staring at you with feral eyes as the question is asked...

You would see change quickly...

If only I had the money...

[ November 09, 2005, 23:05: Message edited by: Late-Night Thinker ]

17. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Uh oh. Looks like the right has decided that some leaks are bad after all. Dana Priest (the journalist who broke the story about the black detention centers) and the Wash Post are accused of basically siding with the enemy in the "war on terror":

also, the House intelligence comitee is eager to investigate the leak which lead to this story. Well, let them go forward, I say. The more things came to light about this affair, the better.

Some more comments on this here

18. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Yes, indeed, let's investigate the leak. God forbid we investigate the posibility of systematic torture.

19. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I have only one question.

If there is no torture of prisoners why does Bush & co want the CIA exempted from the anti-torture bill which McBain (a Republican) wants passed?

20. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

The only thing I can think of is that the rumors gave them the idea, and now they want to try it out. :rolleyes:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.