1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Closer to Solar Power than we've been assuming?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Beren, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    That is exactly what I was talking about; perhaps "doom" was too strong a word. What lives lost or economic costs have been predicted and come true? What lives lost or economic costs have been definitively tied to anthropogenic global warming? I have seen plenty of papers disproving the speculations about such ties.

The rest of your rant was perfectly valid, but had nothing to do with CO2, and did not address anything about the costs to be incurred by "green" sources of energy.

That depends on what you are talking about. If you believe increased levels of CO2 can cause increased temperatures in a closed environment, then sure. If you are talking about how the Earth's atmosphere works, then not so much. If you are talking about large positive feebacks being greater than negative feedbacks of the mild warming that would be caused by increased levels of CO2, then absolutely not. If you are talking about economic costs of lowering CO2 emissions being less than the economic costs of mitigating any effects caused by it, again, not so much.

2. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

Whether global warming is real or not doesn't matter all that much to me, truth be told. Either way I believe industrial society needs to be dismantled altogether or scaled back by a large degree. I take after Derrick Jensen on this. The fact of the matter is, we destroy our environment in countless ways and are essentially at constant odds with nature and other species, and we're not any happier to show for it. I don't think the world exists to be exploited and used by humankind. We in the West already use too much as it is, there's not enough physical stuff to have everybody have the lifestyles that we do, I think we would need 1.5 earths or something like that. We in the advanced countries need to enter into a more sustainable way of living that is more in harmony with nature and it's creatures whether or not global warming exists, period.

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    That's perfectly fine. All I can say is: I'm glad you are currently in the minority. ;)

4. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    Yes it was. But thank you for acknowledging that.

I'm pretty sure you know that floods cause financial damage and, sadly, sometimes people die because of them.

That seems like an attempt to hide behind doubt and the word "definitively" here. A bit like asking someone to prove smoker & current cancer patent X would not have gotten cancer had he not smoked as a way of trying to let smoking off the hook.

Like I said before, Global Warming shoots up the odds of bad things (like floods) happening. People get cancer without smoking but smoking increases the odds of something bad (like cancer) happening.

And how many are related to the John Birch Society or like minded groups? I was referring to them and Fred Singer when I said paranoid cold war propagandists. Did you know then John Birch Society tried to claim Earth Day (when it was started years ago) was really a sneaky way of celebrating Lenin's birthday and thus communism? More than a little paranoid. Never mind that it was also St. Francis of Assisi's birthday or that birthdays in general weren't part of why that date was picked. But there was paranoia to push.

Now maybe I'm being a bit hard on the Birchers or making too much of them but they are associated with the first article you linked to in this thread.

Thanks for the (backhanded?) complement. If you are referring to subsidies renewable energy receives directly I would say cut them when the market gets balanced out by things like sending fossil fuel powered operations bills for Global Warming related damages.

I'm willing to give the "free market" a chance on this one so long as it is informed by the actual financial costs related to each and thus they are factored into price.

If you feel (and maybe you don't) markets reward efficiency then it makes sense not to hide the costs of fossil fuels (as seems to be the practice today) so they (markets) can have a chance to work.

Edit:

By no means a detailed summary of Global Warming effects but a nice map to have.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  5. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I know this will sound weak, but it's my bet that this is because of mismanagement; not because solar power is unprofitable.
    Look at the accumulated rescue funds for the European Union: It's astronomical, and it's still not enough. Wherever there's subsidy to be had, there are crooks at the top milking the loopholes in the system.
    Filing for bankruptcy is too profitable nowadays, for those in control. That's why subsidies fail so often.

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    We're talking strictly about market prices for electricity here. That is, the only way solar panels are profitable for Average Joe X to put on his roof is when the state is buying the excess electricity back at a much higher cost than the actual market price for electricity is. That's the problem. If there were no subsidies, the return on the invest would take way too long, if it would happen at all.

7. damedog Gems: 15/31

Resourceful Veteran

The fact is market prices aren't going to stop the destruction of our life support systems. The market didn't stop when 90% of the large fish in the ocean disappeared. The market didn't stop when nearly half of America's lakes and rivers were too polluted for fishing, swimming, or aquatic life. It hasn't stopped with the mountains of E-waste in China. It hasn't stopped with blowing up mountains and poisoning the inhabitants. It hasn't stopped when nearly 80% of the worlds forests were destroyed. When did the market become more important than the life of the planet and everything on it? The problem with mainstream environmentalism, and these type of debates about solar panels and such, is that it takes industrial capitalism as a given when in fact it's at the very heart of the problem itself. We should stop concerning ourselves with market efficiency and instead concern ourselves with having a habitable planet for the generations to come.

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I certainly agree with that notion, it's just that very few people are willing to fund it out of their own pockets.

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    My personal belief is that eventually - although probably not in our lifetimes - we will switch to alternative forms of energy like solar power. Currently, there is so much natural gas and coal (there are literally trillions of tons of coal in eastern Russia that is virtually untapped at this point) available that solar power isn't cost effective right now. And we have a supply of fossil fuels for power plants that will last a few centuries, even without finding more or improving the efficiency of our current power plants.

That is not to say that solar power will never be useful. As technology develops further, and solar panels become more efficient (which is at least as likely as improving the efficiency of fossil fuel use) the day may come that we get a lot of our power this way. It's just that this day isn't here. At least not yet.

10. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    You keep saying that, yet there is absolutely no evidence of that. There is nothing empirical that ties global warming to floods, droughts, extreme weather or anything like that. But we're just going around in circles again so I won't bother any more.

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Well, there's no direct evidence of that, but some of the observations made in recent years are self-evident. For example, there is plenty of evidence that a lot of arctic and antarctic ice sheets are melting in recent years. It is logical to assume that (regardless of what your stance is on anthropomorphic causes of global warming) the ice is melting because it's warmer now than it was in the past. I further logically follows that if you melt a lot of ice, sea levels will rise. A rise of even a couple of feet in sea level would (not could) greatly increase the risk of flooding in coastal areas.

I'm mostly with you BTA in that I don't believe in apocalyptic consequences of global warming, but it just seems that some effects are straight forward. To me, if I see a lot more ice melting than in the past, I tend to conclude it's most likely because it's warmer. If this melting trend continues, I conclude that sea levels will rise. If sea levels rise then the risk of flooding in coastal communities also rise. To me, it's a pretty straight forward if A, then B type of reasoning.

12. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    I hear that a lot, but typically the information people think they know to be fact is wrong. E.g.
    Well, no actually. Both the Antarctic and the Arctic ice are cyclical in nature; they lose ice in the summer and gain it back in the winter. The Antarctic has been gaining ice in recent years, not losing it. The Arctic now is just entering the melting phase and the ice extent is currently near the (30 or so year) average. The rate of sea level rise has been at a fairly steady rate since the last ice age and there is no evidence of an acceleration. The Arctic ice is sea ice so no matter how much of it melts it does not cause a rise in sea level.

13. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Well then why do you see news stories about an antarctic ice sheet the size of Rhode Island breaking off into the ocean if it happens all the time? And yes, obviously the amount of ice in the arctic and antarctic are seasonally cyclic. But I was under the impression that the NET amount of sea ice, i.e., year over year average was in decline.

OK, if it's been rising at a steady rate since the last ice age, does not that indicate that there is less ice (and thus more water) each year?

Hmmm... I never thought of it that way, but it makes sense. If I plunk a few ice cubes into a glass of water, the level of water in the glass doesn't go up when the ice melts. But not all the ice in the arctic is sea ice. There are glaciers in Canada, Russia, and Greenland. And of course a large amount of the antarctic ice sheets are on land.

14. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Because that's what glacier ice does (not sea ice): It flows into the sea and breaks off. Does that mean it's not replaced? No.

And that's what I mean about all this: Most people don't really care enough to check things for themselves; they listen to the media reports which are all about selling something and scary stuff sells. OH NOES, a gaint piece of ice broke off in Antarctica! We're all DOOOOOMED! :)

For the Arctic that's pretty much true, but like I said this year the extent of the Arctic ice got pretty near the 30 year mean. We'll see what happens when it melts; will it fall below the 30 year mean or not?

That's a complicated question because sea level is not completely controlled by how much polar ice there is. When it rains over land, it takes some amount of time for that water to flow from the continents back to the ocean. Then there's all the non-polar snow and ice.

But regardless, the rate of sea level rise is somewhere in the neighbohood of 1-3mm per year, and as I said even with all the CO2 being put into the air in recent years, there is no apparent acceleration of this rate, so can it be linked to anything humans have been doing? If not, there's not much we lowly humans can do about the rate of sea level rise anyway. Now, how long would it take to get one meter of sea level rise? 333 to 1000 years. I think that's plenty of time to build up some levies etc.

15. damedog Gems: 15/31

Resourceful Veteran

What changes would you need to make in the face of global warming that you wouldn't need to make in light of the countless other ways industrial society is harming the planet?

16. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    I'm not sure what you mean here.

Do you think alternative energy sources will not be developed by those same industries?

Do you think solar panels are manufactured by the fairies from fairy dust and work forever with no maintenance or replacement?

Do you think wind turbines sprout from the ground and again require no maintenance or replacement?

What about the storage of the excess energy so that you don't have to have an equivalent amount of traditional energy production to handle the times with no sun or wind?

I don't see how moving to alternative energy production is going to solve the issues you are talking about in an industrial society.

More importantly, cheap energy production is important for everything and everyone and especially so for the poor and those in developing countries where the cost of energy can be the difference between life and death.

17. pplr Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Media:
    This report seems to disagree with you.

The report was put out by these folks (Put out by these folks http://www.globalchange.gov/about)

It includes projections (which are guesses) and past records (less so).

For example the amount of rain that comes in/from heavy downpours has increased almost 20% from 1958-2007.

Now I think it is it reasonable to believe that inland flooding would be more likely to occur if a storm system dumps more water in an area within the same timespan (of a heavy storm).

Also..

your comment about people and the the media lends itself to the strawman you were bringing up with me before.

Specifically the implication that I supposedly thought the world was going to end due to Global Warming-an idea you brought up rather than me.

@damedog

While I may like wilderness areas and am not eager to see mass extinction events I would like to point out the you that PR some of the polluters hide behind seems to be support for the "free market".

But then they hypocritically leave some of their bills for others to cover.

This isn't something unheard of if you consider a few of the financial games that some businesses and people have attempted to play on each other.

Maybe an informed market actually won't work to deal with Global Warming. But up to this point it really hasn't been tried yet within the US and, possibly, the world as a whole.

The hypocrisy of such scams (right word?) and the point that an informed market hasn't been tried/put into place aren't exactly bad thoughts when arguing Global Warming should be taken more seriously.

18. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    The report is the typical pro-AGW fare. As I've explained before, all you have to do is look for differing opinions on the data. Like so, which gives a complete listing of supporting papers.

What strawman are you talking about? And did I say anything about you specifically thinking the world was going to end? As I said before, when I talk about the doomsayers and doom, I'm not talking about the end of the world, I'm talking about the belief that AGW is going to cause more disasters than would otherwise happen.

19. pplr Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Media:
    Are you saying that somehow the amount of rainfall that comes with a heavy downpour has not increased by nearly 20%?

Has that happened? Yes or no?

While both the report I linked to and the website you posted a link to referred to the same "5% increase in overall precipitation in the US".

What the report does is go more into detail than this blogger's site to explain much of that precipitation increase has come in the form of even heavier heavy downpours (which I pointed to earlier as likely leading to more flooding).

What does this blogger's website do with that 5% increase? It uses it-without the added detail/explanation-to claim there aren't more severe droughts.

If you read through the report there both references and footnotes posted. That they didn't include a reference list & footnote section at the end of this pdf of their report. They should have and I'll fault them for it.

Though that doesn't mean they have no references (some are named both in the charts and by some of the statements in the report).

Actually..

It seems likely you were referring to end of the world type predictions. Referring to "every one for which the time horizon has passed" includes a list of supposed doomsdays put out by various religious sects. For example the organization JWs belong to predicted the apocalypse a few times already.

You seem to throw me in with them with..

Now you're wrong in that sometimes doomsayers are specific. The JWs listed which years the apocalypse was supposedly going to happen multiple times (they seemed to come up with a different year after one passed without an apocalypse for the world).

But the implication you made is that I'm among the "doomsayers".

According to you I was even going so far as to use some of their "weasel words".

Now if you don't actually mean doom you probably should stop using the word or words with "doom" in it.

I think it would be unfair to refer to someone who said smoking does bad things (and mentions some of them like it being related to the suffer and early deaths of many people) as a "doomsayer".

Now the first article you linked to this thread related to an opinion put in a publication associated with the John Birch Society-a group that has both an agenda has made statements which were flat out wrong.

The blogger whose website you most recently linked to is run by a man-Anthony Watts-who is associated with the Heartland Institute. The Heartland Institute (like the John Birch Society) not only has an agenda it is pushing but was one of the organizations that has tried to claim smoking isn't as harmful as reported.

So when you say..

It would be nice if those differing opinions came with more credibility than they seem to.

Now yes references were listed the Watts website. But if we went through all of the writings referred to I'm not sure they would support the arguments made.

Mr. Watts himself claimed the "U.S. temperature record is unreliable" because of placing sensors in bad spots. And an article in the Journal of Geophysical Research disagreed stating "we find no evidence that the CONUS average temperature trends are inflated due to poor station siting".

I suspect the peer review process was stronger for the latter publication.

20. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    What is your point about increased rainfall? Is increased rainfall a problem? The link I posted said there is no evidence of increased basin flows and no evidence of increasing floods. So who cares if rains increased? There is no evidence that the increase is due to AGW.

I have explained what I meant by doom and doomsayers, and it is clear I didn't mean religious nutcases. Since when does the word "doom" mean the end of the world?

And you did use the same kind of weasel words theses non-religous doomsayers use.

Ad hominem logical fallacies are not persuasive. Tell me what is wrong with their argument to persuade me.

Well, why don't you take a look and find out? And in case you didn't notice the author of the article I linked was not Anthony, it was Craig Loehle who was the author of some of the papers listed.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.