1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Communism vs Capitalism

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Turandil, Oct 3, 2002.

1. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Perhaps, you said that the pampered son earns 100k a year? How? Through his allowance or what?

Oh, and FYI, being from PA, we have a lot of farms around. You do realize that many of the private farms spend thousands or even a few million per day on maintenance, so don't give me the crap that farmers are very poor, although I do know what you were trying to get at.

According to pure economic theory, farms will not be profitable to run, so the government is forced to establish a price floor and subsidize farms so that the farmers will actually have some incentive to produce, instead of going out of business. I'd say that the higher income taxes are a small price to pay to actually be able to buy food, but this is getting really :yot: .

If you are saying that people should all start out on equal footing, instead of enjoying the wealth of the family that they were born into, I partially agree but recognise both sides. On the one hand, yes, removing inheritance and such will make everyone have to prove themselves worthy of having large amounts of money. On the reverse coin, many people work extra hard just to know that they can provide a better life for their children than they themselves were able to enjoy. You decide which is better.

2. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Nah, huge farms turn quite a nice profit. Crop subsidies are caused by American obsession with the idea of the small farmer. They will go out of business without subsidies and price fixing. And they are hugely sympathetic figures. So any politician voting to end the farm subsidies gets nailed by his opponents for trying to kill the American dream.

I'd be kind of bummed if it were no longer possible for a man to make a decent living farming a small amount of land, but I realize that that's just nostalgia and really no way to run a country.

3. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] NO.

The son sits on his ass while his father the CEO makes 100K a month. The son is pampered, even though he does no work. I have nothing against this particular system, I was just trying to make a point to Sniper that just because someone makes more money than someone it doesn't mean they work harder or deserve it, while someone who works harder doesn't necessarily get more money or is more deserving.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.