1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Cooking In General

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Dice, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    WooHoo, I remember this thread! Going to have to reread through it before I post anything new though.

@dmc - Please tell your wife thankyou for that recipe, I will probably use it for the next family dinner. It seems very decadent.

@Ara - Your recipe looks very good but I might have to substitute the lamb for more hamburger. I know I eat meat and all but I still can't eat a baby sheep.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Don't be so sheepish...

:lol:

3. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Yesterday.. err, no, Thursday (24 hour shifts screw with your time perception) I tried scaling down/simplifying the GORGEOUS pineapple fried rice recipe from Pinch of Cinnamon but failed. The lime was too overpowering. :/ (

4. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Everything in this thread is making me so hungry... And now that I live on my own I can experiment with food without other people complaining! :D

5. Dice

Media:
    Black Bean Dip

Ingredients :
    One large can of Black Beans
    One tomato
    Half an avocado
    1 teaspoon of onion powder
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    half teaspoon cumin
    two teaspoons fresh chopped cilantro
    1 and a half tablespoons lemon juice
    salt to taste

I'm going off the top of my head here so you should season to your liking - I usually don't measure but go more by instinct

The recipe is probably easier if you have a food processor but if you don't then you will have to mash the beans and avocado by hand.

Basically all you have to do is add all the ingredients except for the tomato together (first mash the beans and then mash the avocado) once everything is well mixed I dice up the tomato and gently stir it in. I recommend you let it sit for at least an hour before you eat it because the spices need time to meld into the dip.

When its ready you can serve it with nacho chips or pita chips or crackers - your choice. Its pretty healthy and it tastes great.

6. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Sounds tasty! I am trying to incorporate more legumes in my diet but thuis far I'm failing pretty epicallly.

7. Dice

Media:
    Yah gotta love a woman who knows how to BBQ ;). Exquisitely seasoned beef patties shaped by hand and generously topped by aged cheddar. Buttered buns lightly toasted while the cheese melts and then topped with baconnaise, ketchup, mustard, dill pickles, lettuce and tomatoes. All made under pure Canadian air. :yum:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2015
  8. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hehe. Looks delicious :)

Had an interesting experience a couple weeks ago where I made my own nixtamal from field corn by boiling in calcium hydroxide. Then hand-ground (with a hand-cranked grinder) the nixtamal into masa for tortillas. Roasted some pork shoulder for carnitas. Put it in the fresh tortillas with some salsa... mmm...mmm... delicious! :)

Lot of work though. If I were to do this regularly, I'd need to motorize my grinder :)

9. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Seems like one of Gaston Lagaffe's chemical experiments. :D Gaston is also inventive enough to motorize his grinder. Ahhhh gotta love Belgian comics!

Still, it sounds great, BTA! :)

10. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    BTA, you could even use the USB DSO to troubleshoot it if it failed. ;)

11. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    True! Tempting, but part of the reason I bought a manual mill was the manual labor involved. I use it weekly to grind wheat and rye grain into flour for my sandwich bread. :)

Master of Nuhn likes this.
  12. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Oh... So now I know how you got that strong right arm. I eh... never dared to ask. :p

13. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    But... I use both hands! :lol: ;)

14. Master of Nuhn

Media:
    :lol: Then why is one arm so much stronger? You use it for tossing? Cause you see, when I'm cooking veggies and meat in a stick-handles pan, I always use the same arm to toss the food around. :p

15. Dice

Media:
    I'm very impressed with that BT. It sounds like you have some refined cooking skills. I make corn tortillas sometimes. The house smells amazing when you are cooking them and they do involve some skill - but I have never gone as far as you have to make them from scratch.

Going through those processes can teach you a lot about the ingredients you use. It also gives you a unique understanding and appreciation of the food we consume. I would be interested to hear more about your explorations. It might even be a nice blog entry and something I could comment on without sounding like a technological tarzan. :p

16. Vorona

Vorona Shadow-Whisperer

Crispy, non-breaded Chicken Wings

Chicken Wings - Basic Cooking Techniques

Broil, then Bake:

These turn out crispy (not breaded) and moist if you do it right. Any sauce you like can be added afterwards. Sometimes I go traditional and mix hot sauce with melted butter; other times, I make up a special sauce.

1. Make an oil base. It can be just oil, or you can flavor it. I flavor mine by using extra virgin olive oil, then adding lemon zest, half-sharp Hungarian paprika, a little salt, and a little lemon juice.

2. Baste the wings with the oil.

3. Broil the wings on HI - 10 minutes each side. Use foil on baking sheets for easier clean-up.

4. Remove the chicken wings to new foil - if they keep sitting in the oil that has dripped off during the broiling, they get soft, and you lose the nice crispy skin.

5. Baste them with your sauce of choice.

6. Bake them in the oven at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes.

7. If you aren't good at basting and getting as much sauce on as you want (I'm not), toss them in the remaining sauce, and serve.

I've tried many methods of wing making, and this is the best I've found. Alton Brown has a method of steaming, then baking. It works, too, but this makes the house smell like half-cooked chicken (yuck!) and is a real pain to clean up after. Grilling works pretty well, too, but they don't come out quite as crispy with grilling, because only the parts on the actual grates get crispy.

Enjoy!

Edit:
    I forgot to mention: during the broiling part, there can be a lot of smoke, so keep your eye on it. That's really the only disadvantage to this method. Also, be careful on your timing: if you cook them too long, they do get dried out.

Edit again:
    I can't believe I forgot to mention that I love this thread. I have a whole new folder in my Recipes folder called "Sorcerer's Place," and there are now 56 recipes in it! I'm going to be trying at least one of them out (probably the taco one) this Sunday. I have more recipes I plan to add, too.

joacqin likes this.
  17. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I was going to say that if I broiled wings 10 minutes a side, I'd have little charcoal sticks. Must be different ovens . . . .

18. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Maybe it's an Easy-Bake Oven...

19. Vorona

Vorona Shadow-Whisperer

Must be different ovens. It's not an Easy-Bake oven, but I have yet to wind up with charcoal sticks. I get wonderfully crispy skins :).

20. Master of Nuhn

Media:
    My chicken-legs got a crispy skin 2 weeks ago. I should have used lotion to protect me from sunburn!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.