1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Could You Take Someone's Life?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Elios, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Chevalier Mal Fet Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I think we all have the capacity to kill. In the right circumstances I certainlt would not consciously stay my hand. I might have some misgivings about it, mostly based on fear of imprisonment, but I think I'd do it.

2. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I could definitely do it. To save my life, that of a friend or even that of an innocent person who's life is at risk. Vengeance?
    Probably, I've got a horrible temper. I frequently put holes in walls at my house. I've actually fixed 3 holes already, and I've put another in recently, and during the Christmas Break, while I was at my grandma's house, I got royally pissed at my brothers. I pounded a wooden doorframe twice, and sent a crack running through it, then I slammed my open palm through the wall.
    If I killed someone to save a life, I probably wouldn't regret it. If I killed someone in a fit of rage, I would almost definitely regret it.

Rallymama, I can't think of many life and death situations in which you actually get a chance to consider your actions clearly. Also consider that killing someone is probably (physically) easier than incapacitating them. And on top of that, if someone is simply incapacitated, they can always come back at some later date and try again (and again and again, etc). I understand what you're saying, but, IMO , if one of your loved ones' lives lay in your ability to kill someone, I really think you could, and would, kill.

3. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

4. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    To protect myself and the people I love?? absolutely

Because they do other people wrong, maybe, to protect society from them

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I dont know, I dont think anyone knows until they have been in such a situation. I pondered about this question quite a bit when I was in the army which really only is a place to train to kill, one way or another.
    I can imagine myself killing but I dont know if I would be able to when put in such a situation. Alot of people just freeze, unable to do anything when in situations that threathens them or people they love. I read or heard somewhere that almost of half of the troops in the vietnam war didnt shoot, but just lay there froze, unable to move. I can imagine that happen to me as well as I can imagine myself going on a horrible vengeance inspired killing spree. Hopefully I will never find out how I will react.

6. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Hmm. self defence yes, though possibly unintentionally. I would certainly stop my attacker/s being in a position where they would no longer be able to attack me, up to and including ending their life.

In defence of a friend or a loved one - Yes. Similiarly to the self-defence one. In defence of someone else, or myself, i would put my attacker down whatever it took.

Vengeance for something done against myself/friends/a loved one. Probably. Though would depend upon what they had done. If someone was to kill a friend or a loved one i would have no problem taking that persons life.

In Defence of my country. I don't know. If conscripted into armed forces during war time then it would be impersonally killing when i had to. I wouldn't reall want to because that person hasn't done anything against me.

7. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

This is going to sound sick: but, yes, I feel that I could do it. If I were angered, bitter, or just felt like it, I probably would kill someone. The bounds of society and belief, however, prevent me psychologically from doing so, because the idea of killing another human is wrong is so strongly imprinted in my head. It's kind of like Jack in The Lord of the Flies.

If it came to that, I don't think I would be able to cope with the realization of what I did.

8. Eilonwy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I dont really know...
    It depends. If someone wanted to kill me I would definalty kill him/her and if he/she wanted to kill someone I care about I would do the same.
    No problems.
    But hey, I havent been in that situation yet so...
    About the vengance thingy, I am not sure.
    I have an incredibly bad temper (not here though) and I dont know what I would do if I got mad. Cuz if you get really mad you just cant control yourself and it starts ringin in your ears, boiling inside you and you explode and loose your control.
    Ah, I think I could kill someone in vengance... Just that I am not really that strong, so I would probably die first if it doesnt involve gun or something like that.

9. Eze Gems: 24/31

Thought a bit. Actually I could. But as someone said, the idea that it is wrong and is a horrible sin, is so much hammered into our heads. And the punishments are great. If there weren't any punishments for killing another person, then yes, I could and would do it.

10. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

I can, when I have to do it to save my own life or the life of others, for example in war.... however, when there would be another way, I would always try to go that way.

11. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Well i dont think people can say, for example people who say "bring 'em on" might chicken out when it really counts, and vice versa.
    I think anyone would be able to kill under the right circumstances though(war for example)

12. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Now war, I wouldn't be able to kill. I could/would only kill if it was personnal

13. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

There are some people in my life who I give the credit of being responsible for the fact that I'm still alive and well (*well* meaning not only that I'm alive, but that I've had a very good quality of life so far, and every chance of having it in the future as well). Few of those people know it, but as a matter of principle I see that I owe my life to them. Should someone threaten their life, I see it as my duty to see to it that theirs is saved, even at the expense of my own, not to mention another unknown human. Should my own life be threatened, the situation would be very much the same, even more so.

Before I used to think that you can't predict your actions in any situation beforehand, for the situation will probably instill emotions that are beyond your guessworks and control. However, possibly due to my introspective nature, even during some quite dark events I've had in my life I've acted precisely in the same nonchalant manner that I thought I would.

So could I kill a person? Certainly. Could I live with it? Yes, I think I could get used to it. Do I want to do it, then? No. If it was up to me, this world would be far more a peaceful and friendly place than it is. But I made a decision some time back that I intend to hold on to:

If anyone ever possibly mortally harms me, I will do my best to inflict my own judgement before I die. Even if it was possible that I remained alive and was punished for what I did. If it ever happens that I should be the victim of a crime (let's say, robbery with a knife) and survive by killing the other (knowing that I'm going to get imprisoned when the authorities catch me), I will go on and purge my city of as many useless criminals and general wrong-doers as I can before I get caught. For I believe I will be doing other people a favor, even though they may not understand it.

So these things said. I can kill, with a proper reason. But for no reason at all, why should I? Once again, my post went a tad bit longer than it was supposed to. This time, however, I'll not re-write it for a more convenient form. As if I'd care of your views, I'd still like to point out to people in light of my recent messages that I'm quite much a friendly and outgoing fellow IRL. But I do hold on to darker and more daring principles nevertheless. Still, I feel I've given people here an impression of myself much like a psychopatic, which is hardly the case. Somehow I just speak of the emotionally stronger matters here.

14. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I am pretty damn certain I could kill someone. Not only that, I think I could come close to feeling absolutely no sympathy or guilt -- mind you, this is assuming I'm just murdering a transient or someone else who wouldn't be missed.

Now, I can guarantee I could kill someone who had actually irritated me. (I very rarely get angry. But when I do, it's pretty close to black-out rage...I've ended up strangling people when I am in such a state. I have no idea how far I would have gone before I stopped had several people not pulled me off of my antagonizer/victim.)

If someone ticked me off a helluva lot (mad-style betrayal, extreme situation stuff), I sometimes don't go mad with rage, but just go cold. It is well within my capability to go home and scheme against them, doing my best to completely ruin their lives and the lives of those around them. This may include one or more murders.

When people are asked to describe me in a few words, "evil" or "diabolical" are almost always in there.

15. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

What is evil really. I'm not trying to bring this to yet another discussion of "balance" or something like that. Just that if someone knows you are easily irritated, and just for that reason irritate you, I think they are completely responsible for what you do to them.

I had a real bad temper as a kid, and I got teased because of it all the time. My dreams were more on the dark side because of this. I even did try to kill my classmate once in our chemistry class when the teacher was out, for he was calling names on my mother (which I still think of as a holy matter that should not be included in a quarrel). It wasn't the first time this incredible eye-blurring fit of rage and hatred took me either. The projectile I threw at his head when I couldn't catch him with my hands through all the tables and chairs got a good chunk off the wall. That day also marked the day when people realised they could easily cause permanent harm to themselves should they go too far with me. It was also the day I realised I had to do something about my temper, as the incident was hardly unnoticed by others.

Anyway, even though I'm glad I didn't hit him with it for the consequences it would've had on my life, it still would've served him right had I done that. EVEN though we later became fairly good friends. There's a limit to how much you can insult another human. In principle, I don't see that you can insult another at all, knowingly that is. To try and evoke hostile feelings in another is to accept what the other will do in change, as I said. It's a different matter when misunderstandings come along.

Yet in all of this, I see nothing evil.

16. Sojourner Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

In a life or death situation, yes. At that point I would not be thinking, but trying to survive.

17. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

[​IMG] I have three little girls: 7, 4 and 11 months. If any sick bugger came anywhere near them, I'd kill the guy, no questions asked and no compunction. I've seen girls who've had to deal with the trauma of rape or sexual assault, and I would have NO PROBLEM whatsoever taking whatever steps were necessary to save my daughters that pain.

If I were too late, and someone had already hurt one of my girls, then I could also, cheerfully, and with no regret, eliminate that person. In cold blood and with malice of forethought. It wouldn't solve my daughter's pain, but it might save someone else from going through similar pain.

For $$? No way. Fun? Nope. Just for cutting me off in traffic? Naw, I'll just come home and blow off some steam playing Baldur's Gate 2. ;)

18. Eze Gems: 24/31

There is one situation where I'd definitely kill and wouldn't feel sorry. If someone desecrated MY god-damned privacy. Then I'd just take a knife and kill that man. Painfully. Or if someone would have done that to my best friend.

19. Pac man Gems: 25/31

Yes, nuff said.

20. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Yes. When given proper motivation I can and will take someone's life. However, only in order to save lives. I might out of retribution, but you'd have to do something really hurting to me. Like kill off my family/friends or something.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.