1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Cutthroat

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by tipperon, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

Bugger, I didn't know about the extra attack. I've always just sold the damn thing away.

2. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I sell it, too. By that time, I've got better weapons to play with and no one worth using any short swords.

3. Thor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Question: why is it important with an as low speed factor for backstabbing? I don't see any difference between weapons with high and low speed factors?

4. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Speed factor figures in to how fast you swing with the weapon. With 0, you get your licks in quicker than the bad guy. Ever wonder why it takes someone with a heavy crossbow so long to shoot while the guy with the light crossbow is making pin cushions? Same principle - heavy crossbow has a speed factor of 7 and a light one has 5. Magic can affect the factor also.

5. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Speed Factor is very important in a battle, but perhaps not important when backstabbing? Afterall, the thief is invisible and out of harm's way if he is attempting a backstab. Stabbing 1 second sooner or later will make little difference as long as thief is invisible IMHO.

6. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

I've found the speed factor quite irrelevat compared to the number of attacks per round.

7. kuemper Gems: 31/31

But with a low speed factor, you'll be able to get your 7/2 attacks per around in faster, meaning you get to go first instead of the enemy. It doesn't add extra attacks or the like. It just makes you faster off the mark. :)

8. Incarnate Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

When you attempt to backstab if you miss you have 6 seconds - weapon speed to escape ,so a fast weapon gives you more time to escape

9. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

@Incarnate:
    Not quite. As soon as you miss, you become visible. But the real way to look weapon speed is this:

You and this other guy will take turns hitting each other. Now who wants to go first? :heh:

Attacks per round is more relevant at high levels because of the benefits in a longer battle, but at low levels where one-hit (or few-hit) kills are possible, weapon speed becomes significantly more important to your survival. :grin:

EDIT: Here's an example:

You've got 5/2 atks/rd and a high (bad) weapon speed, while your opponent has 2 atks/rd and a low (good) weapon speed. A two round stretch looks like this:
    </font>
    1. He hits you.
    2. You hit him.
    3. He hits you.
    4. You hit him.
    5. He hits you.
    6. You hit him.
    7. He hits you.
    8. You hit him. [*]You hit him again.
    So long as you can last to the eighth and ninth blow you'll be at an advantage, but if you can't then he'll be at an advantage. There's still 'to hit' and 'damage' rolls to figure in, but they're not relevant variables.

[ November 13, 2005, 01:28: Message edited by: Felinoid ]

10. Incarnate Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

True :)
    I'm getting old and my memory is not as good it was :geezer:

11. Thor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Well, i still can't see why it's important when backstabbing? You'll become visible in the instant the strike falls, no matter if it lands in the beginning or the end of a round?

12. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

^Like I said...SF is rather obsolete when attempting a backstab, but after it, in the heart of battle, well that is another story.

13. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

While it may not seem like it matters. The possibility of getting that second hit in before the enemy and offing them if you don't kill them with the backstab is a potential you must consider. I have used that to my advantage both in table top(PnP) and in games.

Then again when my elf(wizard) slayer is attacking 4 times a round between an axe and Belm at level 11. I stop caring how fast my weapons hit.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.