1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dangerous Long Hair Threatens Elementary School!

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by LKD, Jan 12, 2010.

1. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    What if the kid really really doesnt want to cut his hair? Think the entire issue is as many here have pointed out very very silly.

2. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Well, kids need to learn that regardless of what they want sometimes they have to do things that they don't want to do. But IMHO it's the job of the parents to do the teaching of that little gem when it comes to hair -- NOT the public school's.

As I said, private school's are a different kettle of fish. They can demand whatever (legally) they want of their students as long as the policy is made clear up front. If parents don't like it, then other private schools or the public ones beckon.

3. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    If anyone ever tried that on my child in school, I would have them charged with assault.

4. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Kids also need to learn that you don't need to roll over every time an organization tries to abuse its authority to make you do something it has no right to make you do. If the kid wants long hair and the parents are OK with it, a public school deserves no say in the matter. It would be easier to just do what the school wants, but easier isn't always better. It's OK to go to bat for your kid. Even for something that might seem silly to an adult.

5. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    So far as I'm concerned, the rule involved is sexist and should be struck down. If any child in the school is allowed to have long hair, then all children in the school should be allowed to have long hair. End of story.

6. pplr Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Media:
    I think the school is at fault for this one, and yes it is a dumb rule.

Though there are arguably similar things elsewhere. A bit back (still in college) I had applied for a job at a Sentry grocery store. The manager wouldn't hire me unless I cut my hair for policy reasons (note that I had already shaved off the beard I had at the time and was willing to match any restrictions a female worker had with regard to her hair).

It was a short job interview. I figured that if that grocery store wouldn't hire me I may as well apply to one of the ones down the street a bit that wasn't as concerned with the length of my hair.

Still, I could have faced trouble if that Sentry was the only employer available. Is that more my fault or theirs?

7. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Wow, can I be wrong, this might offend even though it isn't intended to. I had you totally pegged as a female pplr, not sure why but I was even sure you had identified yourself as one and I dont know how but well, you struck me as a female. Just goes to show that just when you think you have learnt to judge people by text alone someone throws you a curve ball.

8. pplr Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Media:
    While I am not offended (at this time), I am very much a man and very sure I never said I was a woman:bigeyes:.

I would point out to you thought that this isn't the first time you've been party to stereotyping :pope: and maybe it would be better :idea: if you cut back on that.:p

Blades of Vanatar likes this.
  9. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I would argue that a business traditionally has the right to demand certain grooming policies -- a dress code -- from its staff -- you don't see too many nose studs, tattoos, or punk haircuts in high end clothing stores, for example. That's tradition.

Is it a good tradition? That's debatable. Perhaps you could claim discrimination, but at least here in Canada, grooming is not a protected field in human rights law -- if you can argue that your grooming is cultural or religious, you might have a case for discrimination. If not, though, it's likely that you'll lose the job opportunity to someone whose grooming is more compatible with the image the store is attempting to project.

In joacqin's defense, I am much more likely to engage in stereotyping than he is!

Also, the earlier argument applies only to businesses, NOT public schools.

10. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I've had long hair (Around/past shoulder length) for the past 7 or 8 years. If someone wants to judge me on that, their loss.

If I "Need" short hair for whatever reason, I tie it back.

11. Stefanina Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Media:
    True, but those rules typically apply for both men and women, unlike hair length rules. Both the places I work at have dress codes, but do not have hair length rules.

12. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Stefanina, how do the stores address ear piercings? Do they allow them for both genders, do they disallow them for both (in some cases, there may be real cause to justify such a ban), or do they allow them for women but not for men?

13. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Some stores might have hair style rules, and under that umbrella forbid men to have long hair.

I don't really have a problem with that in a business as long as it is something that is made clear in the very beginning. I would be concerned if there had been no such policy and then boom! either cut your hair or get out!

I say this because some businesses are quite concerned about image, and some business models put a high priority on maintaining a particular image. It may not be fair, and indeed, some companies might really be losing out on some kick butt employees, but I don't think it's a violation of rights in a legal sense.

I'm also a little conflicted about the public schools -- there must be some lines drawn somewhere in terms of dress and grooming -- most public schools I know of have a dress code -- but where is the line drawn? I'm not the only one who's not got the perfect answer for this, as it's gone to court many times, and I think it's just as unfair to label the institution as the second coming of Adolph as to label the kids godless commies out to undermine the American way of life.

Speaking as a teacher, I have to mention that the idea of rules matters. Discipline matters. School rules should be designed to maximize the learning experience and foster a pleasant, cooperative atmosphere in the school. That means that some rebellious elements must be reined in, or you start down a slippery slope toward a lousy school. I believe that most people who make the rules have the best interests of the student body -- and staff -- at heart. Despite opinions to the contrary, teachers are not a bunch of jack-booted douchebags. Some may portray that immage to maintain classroom control, but I've yet to personally meet one who is such a jerk.

The problem is that even with the best of intentions, mistakes can be made. This case is an example. I doubt that you could seriously classify this little kid as a rebellious element.

But I can see a teacher saying "if we let this kid get away with flouting the rules, it'll set a precedent, and he'll be a pain in the hiney for all of his teachers for the next 12 years. Better he learns now who's boss"

Speaking as a teacher, I can empathize with that position without supporting it. Because this is true: In a class of children, they have to know that you're the boss. All the warm fuzzy horses*** doesn't mean a thing when you're trying to get 25 7 year olds to do some seatwork for 15 minutes or so. I know many don't like that idea, but it's the truth. That doesn't mean we beat or tase the little darlings, but it does mean that a teacher and by extension the educational system that supports that teacher must have clear, fair, and regularly enforced expectations, or it all goes to poop. The problem here is with the second adjective -- the rule is not fair, even if it was implemented with the best of intentions.

14. pplr Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Media:
    That is funny, but I don't know if you've managed to top yourself from when you declared that LKD LETS IT ALL HANG OUT in the discussion about privacy and the guy (in Texas?) who was arrested for being naked in his own home.

15. Stefanina Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Media:
    Both my workplaces are colleges. Earrings have not yet been an issue. There are many male faculty & staff with pierced ears, but none have worn earring(s) outrageous enough to cause complaint. The colleges do take a bit of a "if it's not broken, don't fix it" mentality.
    Now then, I do work at the veterinary college of the university, and jewelry is restricted in lab/surgical areas due to possible contamination/hazards. But, that is across the board, and not restricted by sex.
    I am aware that I am very liberal in my thinking that anything permitted for men should be permitted for women, and vice versa. Since I am not willing to give up my own long hair, I feel that men should have the right to keep long hair same as women. This is why I will never likely become a full fledged professional, I'll just stay in IT. Rules are still pretty relaxed in this field.

16. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

I remember an incident from when I was about 13 - my grandmother, who hadn't seen me in a while, saw some picture of me and was evidently shocked and chagrined by how long my hair was. She called me on the phone, insisting on how dangerous that hair was - I could be slamming a car door shut and my hair would get caught in there and before I'd know it, my whole scalp would be torn off! (No, it was not that long.)

Near the end of that phone call I ended up shocking her further by saying a naughty word.

There's just something about long hair on a boy.

"Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him, but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering." - 1 Corinthians 11:14-15

But look at that kid in the article! That's not even really long. That's like a Beatles haircut. Or Danny from The Shining. The lengths some people will go. :rolleyes: Pun intended.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.