1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Darfur

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by khaavern, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Yes well the Dutch never really had colonies in Africa as far as I know. Belgians, Italians, Germans, British, French, Italians, Portugese and Spaniards would make up the complete list I believe.

Anyway I don't support interventionist policies for EU. If US wants to act as a world police then fine, but they are and will allways do so by their own will so they have not really any business of telling what Europe should do, on the other hand this means that EU has no business telling what the US should do. Additionally our military is not nearly as well suited for bigger international missions as the US military and we lack a central military organization to gather an efficent army from all the European countries. Even if we had I doubt we would intervene but then I doubt that US would intervene either even if they would not be in Iraq, most likely North Korea and Iran would be higher on their priority list anyway.

I think we should just offer help in the form of medical supplies and food and take care of refugees but that's about it. A possible economical blockade might also be considered but they usually end up hurting the ones who are being hurt the most allready, Going beyoned that would be just risking creating an even bigger mess and too expensive.

[ October 15, 2005, 18:36: Message edited by: Morgoroth ]

2. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I read some more about this conflict. An overview can be found at wikipedia

It turns out that some ways of dealing with this hace been established, theoretically. African nations were supposed to provide troops, while UN would pay.
    However, they have ran into some sort of bureaucratic trouble/turf war:
    Apparently things improved a bit, when some ex-rebel leader had become vice-president in July. However, three weeks later he died in an helicopter crash. Things are worsening now again.

3. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I completely agree with you. Most of the mess in those countries is directly related to colonialism and the way those countries were ruled, put together and divided into fractions to be more obedient when ruled. The link between colonial goverment and post-colonial mess is particularly strong in Ruanda.

On the other hand, I wouldn't single out particular countries, it was a whole European thing. Surely economical, as share-holders of those colonial endeavours usually where from all over Europe. As were businesses involved.

Sudan is surely known to be a mess since that Mahdi-rising back in the 1880's. But I would not like to see anyone invading that country and trying to get it under control by force. Because I don't believe it to be feasible without an effort that would be unrealistic. And if it were the British that would go in (Sudan being a former possession of them), I'd be really doubtful of their motives. And, finally, I am under the impression that everytime someone tries to use force to get things in colonial matters under control, everything ends being way more screwed and messed up than before.

So, the best way is diplomacy. It's not "good", but if reality only yealds the optimum, there is nothing else left but worse options.

(Completely off topic: I think that Sudan inspired the desert in "dune", because of the messiah and jihad concepts in connection with an up-rising against a foreign opressor contained. I thought the ressemblances were striking as I read Dune two months ago. )

That omission was of course deliberate. It's about the land, the cattle and the women of the neighbour. Ideology, poltics, racism, nationalism and religion in this cases are merely cheap excuses to legitimate murder and theft. Same thing in Zimbabwe, just a different excuse. Same thing in Somalia, just a different excuse. Same thing in Nigeria, just a different excuse.

[ October 15, 2005, 00:58: Message edited by: Iago ]

4. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Feel free to change "not speak out" for "nothing".

5. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

That was a good one. And I had it at school too, I think I actually quoted that already on this board. This poem and the thought behind it is just another good reason to leave religion out (race, ethnicity whatever)

That's just why religion should be left out in such things. Because that's the root of antisemitism. To simplify and find someone or something to blame. If one starts to say, look it's their jewish/muslim religion, that's why they kill themselves and act so greedy. In reality it's at same time much simpler and much more complicated. It's never about race or religion. In this cases, Race and religion just are excuses. Of course, Antisemitism will always be popular. It's because they are semites, Arabs and Jews, that's why they're so ****ed up. It's not about the money, the land and the mineral resources.

And I am not hypocrite enough to say that we all don't profit from some well placed atrocity in Nigeria. It makes the oil run cheap. And to say that the world is neither fair nor just shouldn't be something too revealing.

But if someone thinks that it's enough to send two hundred thousand soldiers into a country and everything will just be fine... That isn't thinking, that's dreaming. And if the reasoning behind the invasion would be, look it's them poor christians that are mistreated by the evil arabs, it will turn out to be a disaster.

And obviously, the black/white, poor this evil raster will not help to get more sense into a chaotic world. Chechnya ? Evil Christians hunting poor moslems. Zimabwe ? Namibia ? Angola ?

[ October 15, 2005, 11:27: Message edited by: Iago ]

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Just as an aside, for all those people here clamouring for Europe to do something... as was pointed out above, you can't use the term "Europe" in the same sense as the US. Europe is not united under one rule, like the US. It is a group of independent countries with their own plans and ideas. Unlike in the US, where Bush gives the word and the whole US has to follow, it doesn't work like that in Europe. Not even in the EU.

And if it's one thing that "Europe" as a whole has learned, it's that colonialism and messing about with other countries eventually doesn't work out. That's why the British empire (and all others) went the way of the dodo and eventually allowed all of their former colonies to go independent. In the end, it's just too much trouble, and it's a concept you can't defend sensibly any more. Freedom, independence, free will and the right and responsibility for every nation to look after itself (for better or worse) are the bases on which all modern Western societies build on, and advocating exactly the opposite on another part of your empire just doesn't work.

This is one of the primary reasons why "Europe" doesn't want to get involved in Africa again with any particular country's army. The collective memory of the colonial times is still too strong. And no one wants to go back to that period. Not the former colonialists, nor the current governments of African countries.

Which isn't to say that many of them weren't much better off during the colonial period, but that's history. They've been weaned, and it's up to them to start looking after themselves. There won't always be someone around to look after them. It's a similar problem as in Iraq, where the US is forcing their ideal of society and democracy on a country that is ill-prepared to accept it.

And in Africa it's the same situation as in Europe a few hundred years ago. It took centuries of wars and fighting for Europe to achieve the longest collective peace in its history. I'm firmly convinced that Africa will have to go down the same road before it gets on the level with the rest of the Western societies. Sad but true, the fact that no one is willing to step in any more might be more beneficial in the long run than outside intervention at every major conflict. Because if you intervene once, it's expected you'll keep doing it again and again whenever there is a problem. And that's just not sensible.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.