1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Darn George Bush!

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Hacken Slash, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Actually, Powell leaving came as absolutely no surprise to anyone. As Darkwolf correctly points out, Powell stated from the beginning that he would only accept the position for one term. Additionally, Powell stated again earlier this year that it was unlikely he would serve as Secretary of State for a second term.

I also believe Powell when he says he justs wants to retire. Given the exemplary service Powell has given to the Bush administration over the last four years, I have no reason to suspect (even though he was a moderate) that he was asked to leave in any way, and is going of his own volition.

2. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Beside the point and not what I wanted to say. It is absolutely pointless why Powell left. It is what was made of it. So Powell wanted to leave anyway? Swell, the neocons thankfully use the opportunity.

The two heads of state, a realist domain and with the CIA one the two major strongholds of realist dissent to neocon policies -- and Bush as far as he followed them, are pro-neocon and neocon hawks now.

Just as Goss is purging the CIA, Bolton will purge state. Neocons don't tolerate dissent, they trample it.

The neocon wing uses the re-election to consolidate their position of power. What you see is, to use a nasty word, "Gleichschaltung".

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I prefer to wait and see how everything comes out. The last administration had a huge turnover during the first term but when things settles out it went fairly smooth. I think Rice is well spoken and thinks before she opens her mouth -- a very good trait to have as Sec of State.

Now for those who think Hiliary is the be-all and end-all: I fart in your general direction. I wave my private parts at your auntie. Pbtttt! Pbtttt! :p :p

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    You're right of course T2B. I think Hillary will be a disaster for the Democratic party. In addition to being liberal, outspoken, and against just about everything stands for she is

** gasps in mock horror **

A WOMAN.

People didn't even like Theresa because she was a woman who spoke her mind and took a stance on things. And she was only going to be the first lady. I can't even begin to imagine what people would start saying if such a person ran for president.

5. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Yeah, we need more Laura Bush types, who know their place and stand by their man...

6. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Aldeth:

Kerry's wife to journalist: 'Shove it'

You don't think this might have had something to do with the dislike of Teresa?

Or maybe this one?

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/teresa_heinz_kerry.html

Seems that Laura was a teacher, ooops, who knew?! :o

There is a major difference between a strong woman who speaks her mind and a clueless nag.

Bion,

I would say a woman who stands by her man is a step better than a man who has to keep defending that which spews forth from his wife's mouth. ;)

If Teresa was such a great asset, why did the keep her hidden the last 2 weeks of the campaign? :confused:

7. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

@ Darkwolf, Aldeth:

Oh... I wasn't aware of Powell's statement that he would only serve one term. We get a fair bit about the US here, but I missed that one. Well, that removes any cynicism I had about why Powell stepped down.

I agree that putting Hilary up for 2008 wouldn't be wise, though. The Clinton name might help, but her liberal views and the fact that she's a woman wouldn't engender a lot of support from red swing states. It's not about qualification or who's best for the job - it's about perception and who you want to lead you. Hell, I can only think of two Western nations who've had an elected female head of state - given the choice of a strong, intelligent and capable woman and a strong, intelligent and capable man as leader, most will choose (and historically, have chosen) the man.

8. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    That's fine, she could use a good laugh.

As for Hillary, she doesn't have good enough liberal creditials. In fact, some Republicians have labeled her "a hawk." She is on the Senate Armed Services Committee, and I think a few of you need to look at her voting record there before calling her a "liberal."

http://www.senate.gov/~clinton/committees.html

Progressives and liberals aren't looking in that direction, but for a few doves amid the American wave of "war fever." Despite all the lies that came out of the campaign over the last few months most in Congress and the Senate have given Shrub pretty much everything he's asked for to conduct his foolishness. I think that Kerry has a superior "liberal" voting record to that of Hillary's. I don't think that she is as progressive as Bill on some issues, including the phony "war on a terror." I noticed that right after the election that the silly color-coded warnings that the Bushies were using to keep the American public in the "clutches of terror" have suddenly been dramatically lowered. What a surprise that is. :rolleyes:

9. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Chandos, perception trumps reality. If people think Hillary has a liberal voting record, if pundits say it often enough, it will be true, for all intents and purposes. She wouldn't be a good candidate for that reason--sure, she isn't actually all that liberal, but everyone thinks she is, which amounts to the same thing in politics.

10. Chandos the Red

Media:
    AMaster - Agreed! Without a doubt.

11. Ankiseth Vanir Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Seems that Laura killed an ex-boyfriend in a car accident, ooops, who knew?! :o

This is comedy if I've ever seen it. Apparently if you don't know Laura Bush's sad history, you are a clueless nag!

And you successfully picked up on the two incidents that the right-wing press corps. played ad naseum for the sole purpose of discrediting Teresa Heinz-Kerry. Congratulations!

When Laura Bush, the libriarian, was out whoring the idea that stem-cell research was pointless, where were you Darkwolf? Obviously, she is a clueless nag when she speaks of what she doesn't know. Does Laura Bush have an M.D or ph.D. in Biology? Just curious.

12. Chandos the Red

Media:
    To speak more to the topic, Rice is replacing a good, honorable man. IMO, Powell is proof that conservatives can be engaging, principled and thoughful. On the other hand, Rice should prove a perfect "yes man" (yes person?) for Shrub and his policies.

Darkwolf is right on - what good are "advisors" who are mere "rubberstamps?" Bush would have been better served by someone like John McCain in the positition of State.

13. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I liked the old system more, where the opposing presidential candidate became the vice-president if he lost. Much better, as it gives more opinions in the goverment, nost just a bunch of asslickers and yessers.

14. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Vanir,

How about a report from and unbiased source on that incident:
    Claim: While a teenager, future First Lady Laura Bush caused the death of a classmate in a car accident.

17 year olds make mistakes like this (and it was 40 years ago), and coincidences happen, they are called accidents. In a similar accident, a few weeks ago, one of my co-worker's daughters ran a stop sign in broad daylight and killed the son of another coworker of mine. What are the odds?

And you accuse me of picking pieces off of the right wing press corps? CNN, right wing?

But I would like to thank you for opening the door to events that happened decades ago! :D
    Teresa's Ted K tirade

Of course she says that has all changed, and she and Kennedy are buddies now, just another case of political expedience for the Kerry camp.

I guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks, and just like the old dog she is, she just gets more viscous with age.

Next time you decide to imply that someone is clueless, try to catch a clue yourself, otherwise you just come of looking hostile and foolish. :rolleyes:

[ November 18, 2004, 16:58: Message edited by: Darkwolf ]

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    :yot:

Please get back on topic, or start a new thread.

16. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

To return to the topic, it seems that even a number of conservatives are a bit wary with the Rice appointment, with the fear that Bush Administration II will be much more insular, and less tolerant of dissenting opinions, than BA I...

More 'viscous' with age? Perhaps Heinz-Kerry is simply in need of a blood-thinner!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.