1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dear God - Athans Allowed to Write Again!

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Taluntain, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

How can Athans mess this book up? with so many better writers, and R.A. Salvatore in it, I'm sure they would help him along.

:yot: New gem. Yay!

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    They can't write the whole book for him, all Salvatore does with this series is maybe answer a few phone calls from the people who are writing it, to explain things. And if Salvatore saw his book, I'm 100% sure that he'd say the only way to salvage it would be to write it again from scratch. By someone else.

3. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Short of them sitting behind him and belting him with a big wooden stick* every time he writes something bad, there's not a lot else other writers can do to improve the mess Athans is sure to make. And if he's the big boss that Tal says he is, I doubt he's going to listen to well-meaning comments from better writers along the lines of "that's crap, Phil, write it again".

* Not a bad idea actually.

4. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Ah well being positive doesn’t hurt I suppose. The book might be outstanding, you never know. Just wait and see ;c

Sure, the baldur’s gate books were very bad but every writer makes bad books.

davidw
    Lets see you write a book and have it published ;)

Have a nice day.

5. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

He never said that he could write, only that Athens can't, which, by popular opinion, is true.

6. david w Gems: 19/31

Okay, here's my intro to BG2:

"And dis bloke called Sam woked up an he wuz inna cage an it were dark, like, and den dis wizardy feller came along an chucked sum fire at 'im and sed he wuza gonna steeel is sole..."

What do people think? Better than Athans? ;)

7. casey Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I vote for David W.

And also Dave to answer your question of what I had im mind. NO.

I was thinking of something much more realistic. Maybe he wasn't very familier with the BG series? I know that if this is the case (or maybe he just wasn't paying attention) he should have just stayed away from it, from what I heard about the portrayls of the other characters and the story he seemed that way, or maybe the fact is that he wanted to want to make it different, from the games (epics) and take a new path (utter abysmal crap)

But anyway I'm only been optimistic.

8. david w Gems: 19/31

Actually I remember reading an X-Files book once written by Charles L Grant, a pretty decent horror writer. It was dire. He didn't know the series or the characters one bit and made so many errors it was like having teeth pulled.

Athans' problem is most likely similar. He doesn't have a clue what BG is all about so the books he wrote shared little more than the basic plot. But whereas Grant is at heart a decent writer, Athans is just awful from start to finish.

9. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Continuing david w’s story:

“and Sam said ‘duuude, what’s yer problem?’ and the other guy said ‘duuude, yer sole is, like, so kewl’. And then this freaky looking big guy came and said sumthin’ about introoders, and the wizard guy just, like, disappears! And then this dame comes in, sez we gotta get out of here, like she knows me or sumthin’, so I decked her because I didn’t trust her. And then…”

Hey, I think I have a knack for this! :xx:

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG]
    No, that's not it at all. When criticizing him, I don't even refer to all the storyline deviations, because the books were written prior to the finalization of the plot of the games. The criticism is based solely on his godawful writing style. I'd expand on this more, but I really can't think of one aspect of the novel that he DIDN'T mess up. So I'll just leave it at that...

11. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I have faith that Kemp will be able to reserect the series via 'Resurrection' after Athans sends it to the Throne of Bhaal.

As Shura said his Erevis Cale series look very promising (Thief/Cleric as main character - possibly least played D&D class short of Barbarian/Paladin - and he does it very well).

Hmmm, I'm thinking people might be judging Athans a bit too harshly due to how horribly, horribly wrong his Baldur's Gate storyline was. Call this his last chance eh? If he screws this up we should send in a formal request that he sticks to spellchecking (with the help of Microsoft Word 2005) WotC novels. If that doesn't work we'll give Shura a two-by-four with a nail in it and Athans' address? Up for it Shura?

12. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I prefer swords. :evil:

Like I said, Kemp is good, but I don't think even he will be able to salvage Athans' mess. I can't think of a writer good enough to do so, not even the likes of Tolkien.

Off topic: Does anyone know when the next book in the Erevis Cale trilogy is coming out?

13. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Dawn of Night? This year, that's about all I know.

14. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

What is WOTC?

15. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

WOTC is Wizards Of The Coast, current holders of the D&D license, or somesuch.

16. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Yeah :doh: I worked it out in the shower before work this morning....

Are the FR books a separate "entity" of works that WOTC books? or is it that WOTC people write the FR books exclusively?

17. Abomination Gems: 26/31

I think FR are a separate "entity" as you put it. For WotC also own the licence to the Dragonlance series of books.

18. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] No. WoTC has a separate novel publishing department. Currently, they publish Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, Dungeons & Dragons, Magic: The Gathering and Legend of the Five Rings novels. In the past, however, they also published Greyhawk, Planescape, Darksun etc. novels. But as these didn't sell well enough, the programs were scrapped.

[ February 12, 2004, 14:55: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

19. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31

Media:
    I'd say the storyline was a bit decent... it's the way he writes which is awful.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.