1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Death penalty

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Volsung, Jun 16, 2003.

1. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

BTA and Depaara: It is revenge in so far that every human has thoughts of revenge if he reads, hears or sea somehing about brutal murders. And the death penalty is an expression of these thougts. "The crowd" needs something visilbe, somehing countable, that shows that the system is working.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Laches - IMO it is your society that dictates what is right and wrong, and that definition is not static. There was a time in this country when slavery was seen as just, yet now we do not see it so. IMO, in a democratic society, where the laws are voted on and the majority rules, the laws are as just (using what I believe to be what you refer to as the common usage) as they can be.

Fabius - If that were true, then any kind of punishment is revenge, and I can't argue with you. I happen to believe the punishments meted out by the courts as dictated by the law are justice.

3. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I can't agree that the Death Penalty is revenge.

Revenge:
    Justice:
    Both from www.dictionary.com.

Using these definitions, the death penalty (and indeed all punishments) would qualify as justice, not revenge. The court was not wronged in any way by the criminal. They are merely enacting the procedures and punishments as dictated by law.

If the victim's friends were to go and kill the murderer themselves, that would be revenge.

4. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Then who makes the law and who determines, if the laws are just. Once, slavery was lawful and a lot of people made a lot of money out of it. Was it ok, because the law said so ? How many people have been kidnapped and killed, all legal.

That's a good example, Laches brought.

[ June 23, 2003, 19:10: Message edited by: Yago ]

5. Laches Gems: 19/31

Yeah, I guess that's what I'm driving at. If right/wrong is simply determined as whatever society says it is then right/wrong are purely arbitrary. That seems intuitively wrong to me. Another example, assume that right/wrong and 'justice' are determined just by looking at what society/law says. If so, then MLK was wrong to argue for desegregation and Rosa Parks was wrong to sit on the back of the bus. It was just to make black people drink from another water fountain and it was just to prevent them from voting. It was however an injustice for those black people to have illegal sit ins etc.

If right/wrong are determined solely by whatever the society says and if justice is whatever the law says there can be no tyranny of the majority -- the very thing that our founders warned us of. Tyranny implies injustice but if the laws define justice...

I guess the thing is, I took the question to be: should there be a death penalty, should it be legal? Someone said, we should not have the death penalty because it is motivated only by revenge and we shouldn't have laws based solely on revenge. The response was, it isn't revenge it is justice. But, if justice is only what the law says it is then that looks circular. What should the law be and why? The law should be just. What is just? Whatever the law says.

The only real impetus for change in such a world is mere self interest. That conclusion is more unsavory to me than the death penalty itself. At least with the death penalty it is possible for people to believe that the sentence is 'just' independent of the vagaries of man.

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Right/wrong is not arbitrary, because it is based on what the majority in the society believe. If the majority in the society have Christian beliefs, they will point to God/the Bible as the source for right and wrong. If they are Muslim, they will point to God/the Koran. If they are atheist, they may point to philosophers. If they are a mixture they will come to common ground based on what they believe. They then make laws to codify these beliefs as best they can. Beliefs change over time, and so then do the laws.

Yes, at the time it was just to prevent black people from voting and drinking from "white" water fountains, but as I said what is right and wrong is not static. If it was not seen as just, do you think it would have continued?

Those black people didn't start out as part of the society; they were property only. Gradually though they became part of the society they were living in and through their influences showed that their treatment under the law needed to be changed. And eventually it was.

We look back now and say how injust it was to treat them the way they were treated, because in our current society, such treatment is injust. The thing is, it wasn't back then.

What the law says is justice, but that doesn't mean that the law will always be the same. If enough people view a law as no longer "right" based on their changing beliefs, the law is changed and that becomes the new justice.

[ June 23, 2003, 22:42: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

7. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    It's been a while since law school, so bear with me. IIRC, there were a number of issues raised with regard to justification for criminal penalties. Obviously, the focus was on the death penalty because it is so charged, but the discussion applies to all penalties.

Possible major justifications that I recall: deterrence of others, deterrence of specific criminal, societal revenge factor, rehabilitation factor.

Let's look at them one by one. First, deterrence of others. The punishment of the criminal should be one that will deter other people who may be interested in committing the same crime.

Next, deterrence of the specific criminal. This factor is, essentially, that the punishment should be sufficiently harsh so that the criminal will not want to commit the crime again (i.e., if he is weighing the risk/reward ratio of the crime, the risk will be so high as to never justify the crime), without running afoul of the cruel and unusual punishment boundary. In some cases, this factor can be expressed by taking away the criminal's right to make this decision himself (i.e., locking him up for life or killing him).

Next, societal revenge factor. This is a real factor, especially in heinous cases. Where society feels the need for a particularly evil and revolting criminal to be punished, you had better believe that it will happen, and there is room in the law regarding punishment so that society, at whatever mores are then prevalent, will be able to exact this justice. "Put him away for life" carries a certain element of society's revenge.

The last one I remember is the rehabilitation concept, which I always found ludicrous. Put him in jail so that he will be rehabilitated is absurd. All that putting someone in jail does is expose him to other criminals; he's more likely to become a better criminal than to be rehabilitated.

I remember a great scene in The Shawshank Redemption, where Morgan Freeman's character was asked if he was rehabilitated. It repeated throughout the movie until, finally, he went off on the guy who asked and essentially said, "Sonny, if I could go back and talk to that young man who committed that crime . . ." Before that part, though, he said something like "Rehabilitated? I don't even know what that means, it's just a word."

@ Laches - Justice is what the particular society says it is. We do not agree with justice that our forebears were certain of (slavery, per your example, or lack of female suffrage), nor do we essentially agree with other present-day society's version of it (Singapore caning example comes to mind -- there have been threads here on the topic of going to another country and being subject to its penal code). It is my firm opinion that it is every person's obligation in a society to examine the justice system to see if they agree with it. When the tides of public opinion make it ripe for a change, there will be change. Justice can only be viewed through a present-time lens of one's own society, comparisons are fruitless otherwise.

Again, to use your example, in 1665, I would imagine that few people, if any, thought slavery was such a bad thing. By 1765, I imagine that there were those who opposed it in this country, but certainly not enough to change the opinion of that society. By 1865, there were enough people around who disagreed with it so that it became a factor (no matter how large or small) for the Civil War. Ultimately, an amendment was passed changing the justice of our society. Was slavery unjust before that? By my standards and, I'm sure, everyone else's today, the answer is clearly yes. That doesn't change the fact that the society of the 1800's had a different perspective that was right for them (and no, please do not go into the fact that it was not right for the slaves -- I know it wasn't, but it is an unfortunate part of society, any society [including today's] that those in power make the rules).

[Edit: I was typing while BTA added his points, so please excuse the duplications.]

8. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Hm, I knew that deterrence would come up. Capital Punishment has no special deterrent factor compared to other punishments. Or at least, it can not be proven. Countries without death penalties haven't significant more crime rates. Quite the contrary.

But then again, why some countries have more and others less crime... possibly thousands of reasons.

9. Laches Gems: 19/31

I'm not sold on the definition of justice. Since one definition was given above, allow me to provide another definition per dictionary.com:

It is this 'moral law' which determines justice imo. The existence of a majority of people who would countenance the rape and murder of a people officially through the legal system does not make that system just. Only compliance with an independent moral code determines justice.

@BTA, if the good is whatever society says it is, then is arbitrary. The majority could have agreed on something else - there are no limitation on what they can agree upon. So, since the good is dependent on whatever people decide without any confines on their decision, it is arbitrary.

@dmc, I believe the more 'PC' term to revenge used in law books is 'retribution.' ;) While you are willing to adopt BTA's definitiion of justice are you willing to go that further step and adopt his definition of the good, out of curiousity.

10. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    If you wish to define arbitrary that way, that's fine; I take arbitrary in this case to mean more capricious or even random. But your definition is fine.

I would defy you to show that morals are not arbitrary then. :)

11. Laches Gems: 19/31

Well, under most moral codes morals are not arbitrary. Utilitarianism is probably the most popular ethic and it isn't arbitrary. You advance the good. How do you determine the good? This is where people disagree but none of them say that the good is whatever we'd like it to be.

Kants deontology is another well known and popular moral code. The good was not arbitrary there either. It was dependent upon reason and logic which could be verified via symbolic logic.

Lots of moral codes, if correct, aren't arbitrary. Now, one may deny that they are correct and may assert that the good is relative but there are plenty of non-arbitrary theories out there.

Here is the way I'm looking at it. I assume your premise is correct - the good is defined by whatever society says it is. Then I look at the natural consequences - for example, rape can be good (with other assumptions made about a hypothetical society etc.) Since I've arrived at an intuitively incorrect conclusion, and since the logical connections were ok, then it must be there was a flaw somewhere in the premise.

Now, the obvious rejoinder is 'your intuition is wrong.' But, that's the way I'm looking at it.

12. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    That's exactly my point Laches. You have just laid out several different moral codes, all believed by some to be correct, by others to be incorrect. Which of them is "right"? IMO all of them are, and many more besides, including ones where rape is the norm.

Obviously you and I don't feel that rape could possibly be the norm in a society, because we live in/have been brought up in a much different society and therefore have certain beliefs that are inconsistent with that.

Lets look at the modern day Muslim suicide bombers. We see this as morally wrong not only because he is killing innocents, but he is also intentionally killing himself in the process. Ask him if he is doing the "wrong" thing or the "right" thing and you will (I hope :) ) get a very different answer from you and I.

There were (and maybe still are) societies that practiced cannibalism and human sacrifice. Did they think they were doing the "wrong" thing?

13. Laches Gems: 19/31

It is my opinion, that it is entirely possible to be wrong about something. Including ethics. Under your code, it isn't really possible to be wrong - you just have a different opinion (or societies do.) So, the mere presence of a differing opinion is not evidence that someone isn't right and someone else wrong.

Now, the response, and what I gather you're getting at, is 'how do we know which is right?' I'd point out that that is an epistemological question and not a metaphysical one.

14. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Yes, I understand your argument, I'm just saying that your point of view comes from the society you live in. Every society believes they are living according to what is "right".

You are claiming that there is some inherent morality in the universe, and that some societies were in the "wrong" even though they believed they were in the "right". Well, even if that were true, what difference would it make? :)

15. Laches Gems: 19/31

I suppose the point is, when you ask 'what difference would that make', it would mean that we could be wrong too. In other words, just because the law endorses the death penalty doesn't make it right. The whole point of all of this really.

16. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    As I am reading these recent posts, I am reminded more and more of Einstein’s Special Theory of Relativity, which basically states (in part) that motion and velocity can be determined only with reference to other objects in the universe – “it’s all relative”

In this case, I think that moral codes and the idea of justice evolves in a society partly based on that society’s examination of what occurs in other parts of the world. From that examination, a society will decide whether it needs to re-evaluate its own standards. Thus, morality is fluid and ever-changing, and there is no ultimate moral code.

17. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    @Laches:
    No, no, just the opposite in fact. I'm saying that the society believes it is in the "right"; even if it believes as you do that there is some universal morality, it believes it is adhering to it. So, what difference does it make to that society if in fact there is (and I'm not saying there is) a universal morality, and they are all unknowingly violating it? None, as far as I'm concerned. As far as that society and all its people are concerned they are doing the "right" thing, and I would submit that it is impossible to know this "universal morality" even if it existed.

18. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Man, go to a client meeting and edit a brief and look what I miss!

@ Laches - it is my opinion that the defintions of both justice and good may be taken at any particular level and that, at whatever level they are viewed, they will be substantially akin. For example, if you look at a basic dictionary definition of justice, you see such terms as righteous, fair, correct, etc., which are terms that find their way into the definition of good as well. Ultimately, you're going to find, in my opinion, that there is substantial overlap between the two, although good is obviously a much more expansive term. Thus, good and justice may both apply to the suicide bomber from his perspective, and the perspective of his society, but certainly not from my perspective or my society.

How the ancient feudal societies of Europe might view such behavior is equally interesting: Is such a person a coward who refused to fight with swords according to the rules then governing conflict, or is that person a hero bucking the odds by destroying a larger force of his enemies? I don't know, but it doesn't matter. There is no universal ethic in my opinion.

Here's another question, touched on above: Most people in modern society believe that cannibalism is "wrong." What if you're stuck in the mountains in winter after your plane goes down, snowed in, with no food and the dead pilot frozen there? You're going to die if you don't eat and he's dead. Do you eat him? I imagine that most people would grudgingly say yes. Does that make it right?

Next question is the obvious one: you're both alive. Say you agree to draw straws, and the loser goes out in the snow to sleep the night away and die of exposure so the other one can eat. Is that right?

Next, what if you draw straws, the pilot loses, and he then refuses to follow through? You would have followed through if you lost. You kill him and chow down. Where's the morality there?

Finally, let's say you just skip the BS about drawing straws because you know it's ultimately him or you. You knock him out, kill him, and eat him. Morality?

I read somewhere (and I cannot remember where), that morality is an expression of the best way for you and your offspring to survive. If that's true, then the universal ethic is "keep me alive, propagate my line, and keep my species alive." If that's the case, then the death penalty is one way that certain societies believe (whether consciously or not) will advance the maximum chance that that society will survive, thrive and flourish.

(This sounds like a college philosophy class now -- maybe that's where I read it -- it's been a while.)

19. Laches Gems: 19/31

@dmc Sounds a great deal like "Starship Troopers" by Robert Heinlein. Ever read that book? From p. 185:

I'd just note that if you ascribe to any type of theory like this, then you aren't a relativist. There IS a universal ethic if you believe the above. The good is that which best brings around the above. If it doesn't, it's bad. That is an objective standard though it may be difficult to empirically verify.

@ BTA It looks like you're saying, 'suppose there is a good, so what? What difference does it make?'

To me there is intrinsic value.

Since we're all talking about our ideas, here is my rough idea. I'll explain it with an analogy. I really like this analogy so I've probably used it before.

First, the conclusion: 'good' is a real non-reductive property. It is knowable either empirically or intuitively.

The analogy has to do with color. Look at the color yellow. A group of scientists wanted to discover what yellow is. So, they took a yellow shirt and tried to figure it out. They broke down the properties of the shirt until they discovered which properties caused the light to bounce off/absorb or whatever and the shirt to appear yellow. Let's just call that group of properties 'X'. So, the scientists say yellow = 'X'. However, then they began to look at a yellow flower and discovered there was not 'X' but the flower was yellow because of 'Y'. So, the definition became 'X or Y'. Then they looked at the sun and it turns out it wasn't X or Y it was Z. So the definition became 'X or Y or Z.' But then.....

You get the point, it turns out such a definition would be an infinite disjunctive. So, these silly scientists decided that there must not be any color. Or, that color was in the eye of the beholder and relative to the individual.

However, they were wrong. They weren't discovering what yellow is, they were discovering how we see yellow. Yellow exists, otherwise what is it they were trying to discover? So, what is yellow? Yellow is that (I say pointing to the yellow bag of chips in front of me.) Yellow is that (I say pointing to a yellow cup.) Yellow however, and other colors can't be broken down and defined in words because in is non-reductive, it is a simple property. However, we know yellow when we see it. We experience it probably every day. It exists and it is real independent of us.

Same with the good. The good is a simple, non-reductive property. If it didn't exist what is it that we're trying to find out? The good is that (pointing to genuine charity.) The good is that (pointing to unasked for kindness.)

I really like this analogy because, as we all know, some people are color blind. Do you know there are people who sex chickens right after they hatch? There isn't a real explanation for it because there is no definable, recognizable difference that we can put into words. Scientists have tried to figure out how they do it to no avail. The just have that ability to sense, and see whether the chicken is a male or a female when for everyone else it would require cutting the chicken open or taking some blood. Weird huh? They can just see it, immediately, with 100% accuracy. And it can't be taught through words, it has to be experienced and learned through time. And not everyone can do it, fathers can try to teach sons with no luck.

Unlike sexing chickens, I think knowing the good is much more common because we are exposed to it every day. We learn to recognize it. And it has inherent value, independent of any utility.

G.E. Moore was one of the corner stones of intuitionism and he responded to sceptics by holding up his hand and saying 'ipso facto.' The point is, he was more sure that that was a hand and existed than he could be sure of any argument to the contrary.

I had thought about asking if there is no good other than what society says it is, why is it that societies without contact with each other have such similar laws? It occurred to me that the response you may give or others who agree with you is that different societies have similar laws because those laws just work. So, it occurred to me that you might not really be a relativist if you think this. That would make you a pragmatist. And pragmatism is not relativism. You may not think this, but it occurred to me that it might be an anticipated response.

20. dmc

Media:
    @ Laches - I did read that book ages ago. It's in a box so I can't check, but is the section you quote from one of those flashbacks to the philosophy class taught by the veteran? I loved those moral lectures. Imagine that, I can remember an invented philosphy lesson from a science fiction book I read two decades ago, but I can't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday (oh, wait, I think it was frozen pilot -- heh :eek: )

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.