1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

"'Don't discuss polar bears": Bush Admin.'s Memo to Scientists

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Taluntain, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

From IPCC fourth assessment Workgroup I summary. Not the odds I would bet on.

2. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    That global warming is most probably man-made is only denied in basically one country in opposition to the global scientific consensus. I wouldn't look to Mars getting warmer for comic relief. I think an answer is IMO much closer. Odds are that conservative Americans are not so infinitely more clever and perceptive than the rest of the world that they alone get it right.

The US opinionmakers on the issue are unable to produce peer revied scientific research underlining their case. Well, that's the way scientific discussions are led. It's not by accident that the AEI offers 10.000 $ for every scientist to produce a piece, any piece, that sais global warming is not man made. It's unsurpising that they don't find any scientist of repute taking that offer. The global warming dispute in the US is purely political, and IMO the conservative opiniomakers have succeeded to establish (un)reasonable doubt on the issue in their respective target group.

Of course there are trends in science, and there is bias, but as I said, the regional occurence of this particular view is limited regionally and there limited to one ideological habitat. The faith in Saddam having WMD was and still is similarily localised. Same for denial of evolution.

Because I think that Americans are also not infinitely dumber than the rest of the world, the answer most probably lies in their public discourse or lack thereof about the respective issues. With the discussions about WMD, evolution and now global warming in mind -- they way such discussions are held have increasingly become a he-said, she-said go-nowhere. Well, for an ideologue a draw is victory because the other side doesn't win. American's aren't stupid, American conservatives aren't stupid. A good number is just pretty gullible and incurious if they identify with the guy telling the tale. Such views once formed and periodically peer-confirmed by opinionmakers and politicians are persistent :2c:

3. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Here is a cute little paragraph from a daily economic newsletter that I get at work. I am not saying that I agree with what this guy says but it shows the conservative POV pretty well. I normally delete the letters after I read them but if I had some from the last couple week I could add his arguments about the temperature being colder now than it was back a few hundred years ago as well as his mocking comments about the fact that the same scientists who are sure about global warming now were absolutely certain about global cooling back in the 70s. If you actually look at the scientists' predictions from the 70s they do look pretty silly now which does give the conservatives some "cry wolf" ammo.

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    :lol: Sounds like Ms. Atwood was making up BS excuses for her lack of proper preparation for the journey. What is global warming supposed to be, something like 0.6 degrees since the 19th century? Yeah, that's going to make such a big difference in what temperatures you're going to encounter in the Arctic! :rolleyes:

:bs: Many of the "scientists" I've seen in reports claiming other causes than Human have been from other countries than the US. The guy from one of Snook's links above saying it's the Sun causing most of it was Russian.

5. Ragusa

Media:
    The Washington Times' article closes with an interesting line neither TGS nor you bothered to read:
    It's not mono-causal. It's the sun, and dominantly, human input as well. And probably there are other reasons as well we don't yet fully understand -- but that doesn't let mankind off the hook for it's contribution.
    The conservative US stance simply denies that human imput is probably the dominant contribution to the phenomenon with 'not all the science is in'. Nowhere the position of denial has gained as much public hold and political weight as in the US. That's what I mean.

6. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I was starting to worry that I was the only one being attacked for having a dissenting opinion

They may have to investigate Morgoroth now :D

To clarify some of the confusion. I do give credence that mankind does have an effect on the environment. I do not beleive that mankind is without blame for global warming and a slew of other concerns. I just do not believe that everything is our fault and that we should cripple our industries and economies for no other reason than the hysterical bleating of sheep. I do not follow lock-step with this "new religion" of "Man is to blame for everything."

@Tal, I'm sorry that you see it that way. If there is one thing I staunchly believe in, it is that every opinion is valid.

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Who, me? Who said I didn't read it? Who even said I dispute the consensus? I merely said the consensus is not so certain that people with opposing views should be viewed as crackpots, and I also disputed the nonsense that it's only in the US where opposing views are held.

8. Ragusa

Media:
    Well, point taken.

And I didn't mean to portray them as crackpots. I concede that they are honest and sincere when they state their view. Convinced of their view they are unwilling to change their view as they are convinced it is true, which also is very natural reaction.

But they are also most certainly wrong.

What I find maddening is the overwhelming feeling of deja-vu, after the creationism debate for instance: The jury's still out. We still don't know. So what if the overwhelming amount of evidence points one way? As long as there is even a smidgen of doubt, we will never have anything more than a theory. Gravity? Pure hypothesis.

With that mindset we'll never reach the mythical goal of 100% certainty that would mandate action on climate change, or convince creationists, which I think is the whole idea.

9. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Well, we're going a little off the topic, but I don't think the level of knowledge and evidence in the climatology department is anywhere near the levels (and from multiple disciplines) as evolution.

But then I understand your point that there are people who will deny something no matter how much evidence there is if it doesn't mesh with their preconceived notions (or other more nefarious reasons :) ).

10. Ragusa

Media:
    To close my argument: I think you have to separate the believers from those who are feeding them their steady diet of disinformation.

The lobbying department couldn't care less about scientific consensus. It's simply way cheaper to pay a handful of lobbyists a couple of million dollars and make campaign donations, than to divert billions in precious dividends away from the shareholders to investment in emission reduction measures :eek: :cry: Even if they only succeed in stalling measures for a decade or two that's a lot of dividend in shareholder accounts. And if they believe it themselves, the better, it's easier writing talking points if you don't neet to giggle all the time.

And for the target groups the issue can be splendidly sold as an attempt by 'leftist activists' (Booh!) to sell their radical tree-hugging, car-hating environmentalist agenda with 'junk-science', probably with the avid help of them sleazy trial lawyers, or some other traditional GOP theme :rolleyes:

[ March 13, 2007, 22:48: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Now if you truly believe that, then the world must be a horribly confusing place for you, because everything is the truth and a lie at the same time... But considering how closely your own opinions match those of the GOP (is there anything the GOP preaches that you actually disagree with?), I find it hard to believe that you live in constant doubt and indetermination. If anything, you've showed here that your opinions are quite set and unchangeable. So statements such as the one quoted above sound more than a little hypocritical. I believe that everyone has the right to their own opinion, and to state it, but I certainly don't believe that every opinion is valid.

As for that Telegraph article you've quoted above... I wonder how often global warming advocates in North America get death threats from conservatives... I suspect that it's on a somewhat exponentially larger scale.

As for everything else, Ragusa's already covered what I wanted to write.

12. Ragusa

Media:
  13. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    @Tal

I do believe it and I do not think it is confusing at all. Anything that can be debated has two sides and neither should be considered right or wrong, afterall discussing politics isn't math.

As to my being a fan of the GOP, I have to admit the majority of the time I do vote for their candidates as they more closely match my libertarian views than the Democratic party.

However, there are plenty of issues that I take vast exception to the GOP with, which actually caused me to vote for Kerry in the previous election.

I do not like the following positions.

1. I am very pro choice
    2. While I believe in the death penalty, I do not believe the proper safeguards are in place.
    3. I do not believe we should award citizenship to illegal aliens (on this one I disagree with both parties for different reasons)
    4. I may despise many of the ACLU's positions, but I totally agree with their fight to protect the seperation of church and state.
    5. I am opposed to censorship. If an adult wants to look at naked people they should be allowed to.
    6. I support stem cell research

If I could only trust the Democrats with taxes, the economy, defense, spending, and welfare they would get a lot more of my votes. Considering that the GOP has been spending like a drunken sailor the past 6 years that one is a push for both parties.

14. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The Great Snook, that's the problem right there. You apparently see global warming primarily as a political issue. But it's only been made into an exclusively political issue by the GOP in the US. Anything that anyone with an agenda successfully turns into a political issue first and fact second is essentially a win for the fairy-tale weaver.

I'm repeating myself here, but WMD is a perfect example. In the end, the facts and what most of the world (except Bush's supporters) thought didn't matter one bit. Why? Because the Bush administration has made WMD a political issue and an excuse for war. It was a complete lie cooked up for the purpose of invading Iraq, but it worked. Who needs the truth in a country where lies achieve even better results?

And now, a few years later, the truth about WMD is irrelevant. Bush got everything he wanted (and someone else will have to clean up the mess later). This is the way the Bush administration and the GOP in general operates - dishonestly and deceptively to the core to suit their own interests.

But I'm glad to hear that you disagree with at least some of GOP's policies... sadly, none of which have any significance to anyone outside the US (with the exception of cheap labour wanting to get in).

15. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Partially correct; the summary of the new report is already available, and most definitely does express a great deal of certainty.

Well, not certainty per se; 'very likely', 'highly probable,' and so on. But that's no different than, say, gravity.

Point being, while the report ain't out, the summary probably ain't too far off.

16. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Ah, indeed! Seems like a lot of good work has been done in the interim. Good stuff.

17. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I haven't got the expertise to discuss global warming thoroughly, but what I'd like to stress in every global climate discussion is the weather patterns going haywire and the possible reasons to why it is happening. The main factor affecting weather patterns is very likely global warming, but there is one other very significant factor of which there is little knowledge as of yet. Increased precipitation might be explained by increased evaporation caused by the rise in global temperature, but although it is a viable explanation it still doesn't take enough of one certain other factor into account.

Deforestation. On a massive scale not seen before in the course of human history.

Forests contain water. Huge amounts. Not only as a part of their biomass, but they condense moisture as well. It rains over the forests because of how they affect the local atmosphere. This works especially in highlands. Cut down the trees and local weather patterns change. But what else happens when the forests are no longer there to conatin the water? What happens when all the water contained by the cut down forests escapes into the atmosphere? Increased precipitation in other areas at least, flooding and a rise of the sea level, not to mention the possible effects on aircurrents. Water vapor is also a greenhouse gas and at least twice as strong as carbon dioxide.

It's all jolly well and good to talk about carbon dioxide emissions, but it also draws the attention from deforestation. These things have coincided: rise of the global temperature, rise of the CO2 emissions and deforestation. I'd like to say that deforestation might have even greater impact on global warming than CO2 emissions, but even if it doesn't it is a major factor and yet it does not gain the attention it would deserve.

We know that forests are a "global thermostat". We know that water vapor is a major greenhouse which the forests contain and much more efficiently than they contain CO2. We know this. Yet everyone's persistently talking mainly, if not only, about CO2 emissions. Forests as CO2 "sinks"? To quote Barms here: Bollocks. There's even research conflicting this paradigm. But it is absolutely certain that forests are extremely important in how they regulate water circulation on the ground and in the atmosphere locally, but also on a global scale.

Makes you almost wonder if the talk about CO2 emissions is a ruse to keep the eyes away from something more alarming, because in every discourse the things that aren't talked about might be the ones that are really important. Dependency on oil and coal is one thing, but human civilization and economy if not human survival are and have always been dependent on forests and what they provide. And even if there wouldn't be global warming at all, deforestation by itself is a major problem that needs a lot of attention.

This is my :2c: Thanks for hearing me out.

18. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

"To clarify some of the confusion. I do give credence that mankind does have an effect on the environment. I do not beleive that mankind is without blame for global warming and a slew of other concerns. I just do not believe that everything is our fault and that we should cripple our industries and economies for no other reason than the hysterical bleating of sheep. I do not follow lock-step with this "new religion" of "Man is to blame for everything."

I don't think many people would argue that it's all "our fault". However, if man is a significant factor, and if we can make a change (without completely messing our economies, by the way, few countries would support that) then it may be a responsible and ethical thing to do. Even if it were mostly natural, that doesn't mean that we should just roll with it. So far, the US has been one of the very few countries where the leaders have decided that they don't want even the small changes than the Kyoto protocol involves. Given the rest of the world hasn't gone into a complete depression yet, I can't help but think that what Kyoto entails won't be so devastating for neither industry nor economy. The movie, imo, basically makes the claim that the people - including, but not limited, to the US, and the governments should do more about it. Saying that it's not so because some of the scientific arguments aren't very good is imo ducking the issue. Sure some points will be weak. It's a movie for the mass audience, not a scientific review. It's supposed to raise awareness and call for change, not be used as a university-level textbook.

Iku-turso is right to point that GW and carbon dioxide are not the only things that matter in today's environment, of course. We need to take all of this seriously, and not cry wolf every time any business complains that it could do better if the whole thing wasn't so regulated. Yes, businesses have legitimate interests, but theirs aren't the only legitimate interests.

[ March 14, 2007, 11:55: Message edited by: The Shaman ]

19. Taluntain

Media:
    Iku-Turso, interesting... I wonder what IPCC's position on that is.

20. Ragusa

Media:
    I've been catching up with my old boss at the UNFCCC this morning and he told me, that at the last conference on climate change he attended, the US delegate said, quote: 'The American way of life is non negotiable.'

Increasing fuel efficiency, enforcing building standards and insulation to eliminate the need for air condition in hot areas, higher fuel and electricity taxation to force the citizens and industry to get serious about getting efficient, and forcing them to invest in new technology which will in return be good for the economy, while giving them tax benefits if they do - with the line above all that's off the table.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.