1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dungeon Siege

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Elios, Sep 22, 2002.

1. Ray192 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

"That was totally the plot of Icewind Dale. Heck, it's even moreso the plot of Icewind Dale 2! Icewind Dale 1 had entirely too much plot compared to IwD2."

well, you actually HAVE fun killing those blasted idiots. either way, when did you have to kill those many things to tell one guy he is under attack?

[ September 26, 2002, 19:08: Message edited by: Ray192 ]

2. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Ordered it, recieved it today, and love it! It might get boring, but for now, it's great. It's a much-needed break from the monotony of NWN [ch. 2].

3. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Wait till you find out the monotony of Dungeon Siege Slim

4. Nutrimat Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I'd say DS is a lot like the Icewind Dale games as far as the small number of quests, the hordes of monsters, etc. You get one quest, to go to the next area, and fight through a horde of monsters to get there. There aren't a lot of little, back and forth quests like in NWN or BG.
    So if you found IWD boring, I wouldn't recommend DS.

I did really like DS though. I liked the magic system especially, because you can set an active spell and it functions like a weapon (caster will keep casting it as long as they have mana). It's not like D&D where you have a certain number of carefully prepared and memorized spells and once they are gone, you have to rest. In DS you can change your spells in the books at any time, and immediately use them.

I thought the level design was pretty cool, and though the quests are kind of basic, it's still a great game IMHO. The customization options are great, you can have a fighter who casts a few spells or vice versa.

I think the things I liked best about DS though, were the little innovative things that other games should notice and copy. There is a button (can be hotkeyed) to make all of your characters drink potions. If you hit this button in combat, your characters will only drink a potion if thier health is below 50%. You don't drink an entire health or mana potion, you just drink as much as you need, the rest can be drunk later.

There's also a hotkey that makes everyone in your party gather any treasure on the ground near them, which is very useful, as you don't have to click on every single thing to pick it up.

There's the customization mentioned above, you can develop your character, or anyone you invite into the party, any way you want. My main char is mostly a warrior, but I had her learn a few levels of nature magic so she can cast healing wind when needed.

Oh yeah, then there's the mules! Those mules are too cool! They lug around your stuff, and can carry a lot of items but you have to be carefull to keep them out of battle. I have set up hotkeys to select everyone except the mules (for battle), and another to select everyone including the mules (for moving around). I named one of them Newports, and then I got another one later in the game and named him Where's my, so when I call "where's my Newports?" they both come running! (just role playing, you can't really change thier names!)

Anyway, you can change some options, like 3-d shadows, that don't noticeably detract from the game, and make it run a little smoother. Don't know if I can help with the min specs otherwise, I ran it on a P4 1.5 ghz.

[ October 06, 2002, 20:00: Message edited by: Nutrimat ]

5. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Ok, I am not sure, but I thought the min specs on the box called for a pentium 233mhz. I don't have the box anymore, I pretty much threw it out in the parking lot. I had been buying too many games and had to be able to sneak this one into the house so I wouldn't get in trouble from the wife. But I swear the specs we for a Pentium 1 computer. :D

6. Nutrimat Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

<digging my DS box out>
    System requirements:
    Windows XP/2000/Me/98-128MB RAM
    333 mhz
    1GB hard drive space
    8MB 3d video card
    Direct X 8.0 conpatible sound card with speakers/headphones
    56kbs modem for 1-4 players online, boadband or LAN for 5+ players

Note: The above are the specifications a computer must have to run the game. Increased performance will be noticed on more powerful systems. Online/multiplayer requirements are not needed for single player mode. Local and long distance telephone toll charges may apply for online features.

333mhz???!??!?! Hahhahhahahahahaha!

7. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

That's what I said. I saw nothing on there about what type of pentium, so I assumed it was the first one, which is what I had. I also have a 700mhz. Last time I took a math class, that was more than double a 333 mhz. Hmmmm, logic dictates to me that if my computer meets the min specs, it should work, right? I am running at 93% resources free.
    There was another game, called Survival. You were part of a group stranded on an island. Specs were similar to Dungeon Siege, same problem.

8. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I think this could've been a decent game. Could've being the key word here. I beat it, and when the ending came, I laughed out loud the sobbed because that was a week of my life I would never get back. I liked Diablo II because of the camera angle. DS is Diablo with the worst possible camera angle you could possibly have. There aren't any movies at all! Why? I've said it before and I'll say it again. Microsoft? Burn in Hell!

9. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Wow.

Those specs are crazy. And I bet when I get around to playing it on my machine, it will bog down noticably.

One of these dayz, I'm going to have to get one of those nifty XP's. But then I have to go to all the trouble of unlocking it, and I'll have to upgrade my power supply, which will probably need to be tweaked, so it's all on the back burner for now.

When does the computer spec. hurt ever end?!?!!!?

10. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

It gets boring VERY much later so i dont recomend upgrading your comp. to play it ;) :D
    Unless you upgrade it enough to play morrowind or warcraft 3 then its a wise investment :eek: ;) :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.