1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dutch Flag Prohibited

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by The Great Snook, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Let me get this straight.
    The kids are Dutch . . . the flag is Dutch . . . and this happened in dutchland ... err Netherlands?
    Thats ****ing insane! Who the **** are those Morrocans to get angry over the flag being displayed. I dont give a damn if the Dutch went on a rampage in Morrocco in the past. To be staying in the country and to disrespect its flag is crazy, stupid and insane. Actually that applies regardless of the nationalities involved.
    The principal should get wacked for even suggesting that a national flag be removed by the kids.

2. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    I saw this a few days ago on the national idiot news (Hart van Nederland), why was I watching it? They were the only newsprogram that had an article about it, it was a lot of screaming, crying and anger about the ban on the Dutch flag.

The absurb reaction is another symptom of the problem of a multicultural society, the people of the lower and middle classes in the Netherlands feel threatened, they are beginning to realize that wealthy countries attracts immigrants and other cultures like honey attract bees, and when bees feel threathened, they don't think, they sting, even if it can kill them.

Let's not forget that the one who put it on his schoolbag was some snotpunk who always wanted to provoke the muslims, he had the same problem like million others, a tendency to stop thinking and start stinging.

The school didn't ban the flag, they banned the use of the Dutch flag for provocative purposes.

Even worse that the orange march isn't outlawed...

[ February 09, 2005, 23:27: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

3. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I don't see why the Dutch flag should be banned just because of racists but I don't see why Morgoth thinkgs the Orange March should be outlawed either.

4. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Well, what I recieve from the news about the orange march is that they are consciously provoking the catholics.
    Proof of this is that they are demanding that the march goes through Catholic neighbourhoods, they are literally coming by your house to push it into your face.

5. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Thats not true Morgoth.

Take the situation of peaceful protesters picketing outside their place of work. A small group of people think its great, join in and start a fight. Is that the fault of the original protesters or the idiots that wanted to ruin things?

The last few years parades have been very peaceful and the news does not mention how the Catholic 'Ancient Hibernia Society' parades can pass through Protestant areas without an issue being raised.

Back on topic I hope things go well in Holland as it has always been a very cultural place to visit and that the small group of racist idiots does not tarnash the Dutch's reputation for being great tolorant people.

6. LeFleur Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

In my opinion there is hardly anything wrong in the Netherlands, apart from the muslim terrorist which where arrested lately, but those appear in all western countries. The problem is that now every insignificant little incident is picked up by the media and they start shouting and screaming just because everything concerning immigrants or their children is a hot topic. It looks like the media can´t think about anything else these days. This might be because everyone likes to read about it so they can cry about how their identity is threatened, and how they become strangers in their own land etc. etc.
    On the site this article came from you read things like: ´ I´m a canadian and my grandfather died liberating Holland, and now it looks like he lost his life for nothing´. Luckily the visitors of this forum are not as overreacting as the these people but still i see the dutch on this board hardly care about this incident while some others take this very serious.
    of course it is always nice to discuss the news but in this case you really have to bear in mind that this is just about two wannabe-racists who get a warning from their school director.

7. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Hmmm why not burn all flags? This sounds silly? Then forget Prohibiting them!

8. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I don't have any reason to display the national flag on my clothes, or whatever, but if i would, i'd like to see someone trying to tell me that i can't.

9. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

Strange, but not un-imaginable. I'd guess the Star of David would also be offensive to Morrocians.

Funding constraints are quirky like that.

10. Cernak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

If the two students were racists--is this true?--and were showing the Dutch flag only to incite, then I can only say, "Shame on you!" How can you let your flag become the property, and the symbol, of an extremist group? It belongs to all of you.

If the students were simply displaying the flag in an ordinary way--if you can define motive--then the Moroccan students, who are guests in your country, were wrong (if they complained), and the school authorities, presumably Dutch citizens, more wrong still; as though it were a shameful thing to be a Dutchman, unworthy of public display.

Returning to the first supposition,I am opposed to, and often heartily ashamed of, much of what my government does, but I would never concede the exclusive use of our flag to some extremist sect, however much they might cloak themselves with it.

Samuel Johnson defined patriotism as "the last refuge of a scoundrel." The American writer Ambrose Bierce said it was the first. Don't give your flag to scoundrels.

[ February 15, 2005, 06:32: Message edited by: Cernak ]

11. Pac man Gems: 25/31

The Moroccans here should take a long good look in the mirror before they start complaining and feel offended at every possible turn.

Then again...they might not like what they see.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.