1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Elections in Iran

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by The Shaman, Jun 13, 2009.

1. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    Unless you have personally counted away all the votes and made sure they were each honestly counted you don't know who actually won the election and are making guesses based on whatever media you see.

Like I said before, no matter what any nation says there is little reason to accept a rigged election result if the election has been rigged. This is an issue about Iran and if people living in Iran have a vote that counts. Other places can comment but the rights at stake right now seem to be those of the Iranian people and the possibility that they are being threatened by Iranian leaders. Leaders who are perfectly capable of (and may be right now) running their own media campaign as they try to shut down media that may provide evidence that confirms or proves false their statements.

Like I said before, Iranian leaders banning media hurts their credibility with me.

2. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    You're entitled ... still, you may be interested in reading this article: Western Misconceptions Meet Iranian Reality

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    From what I've been reading about the power structure in Iran these last couple of days, it seems like the election isn't that important beyond the symbolism. Iran looks suspiously more like a theocratic dictatorship with democratic window dressing.

4. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Ragusa, that seems like the most one-sided assessment of the situation I have heard yet. He seems to assume everything the Guardian Council says is the absolute truth.

There is one good point, though: No matter how common or popular the "libralized democracy" movement is in Iran, it isn't a pro-American movement. It is a pro-Iranian movement, just the Iran they want as opposed to the Iran they have. They would still likely have heavily entrenched religious involvement in the government, though it may be more secularized than it is now. They would probably still seek uranium enrichment, though perhaps a bit more openly than they do now. They would still hate Israel, though perhaps less vehemently than they do now, and may not support terrorism as much as they do now. By and large, though, their movement seems to be far more concerned with Iranian matters than international ones, which should surprise no one.

I, for one, would prefer an Iranian government that had legitimate proof of popular support (as opposed to this skechy situation) even if it kept all the same international positions it has now.

Aldeth, yes, that's what I've been hearing since the topic of Iranian politics first came to my attention some years ago. All the experts seem to agree about that. The question is, how much does it enjoy popular support?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  5. pplr Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Media:
    Interesting read. Now it seems not to agree with a different evaluation here.

http://juancole.com/2009/06/stealing-iranian-election.html

Now it appears there are different intelligent and presumably knowledgeable people commentating on the election and coming to 2 very different conclusions.

So we don't have agreement on if the election was rigged. Correct?

What I have repeatedly commented on before was that the banning of the media harmed the credibility of Mr. Ahmedinejad and that of the people backing him in the government of Iran.

And there is a general consensus that members of the Iranian government who favor Mr. Ahmedinejad are trying to ban media and information flows. Correct?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  6. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Ragusa - I would like you to consider these points:

1. I don't recall ever using the term "democracy" in any of my rants. I was only commenting that people have a longing for freedom, regardless of where they are from. It is something most of us have in common.

2. Given the amount of American apathy towards world events, most of us here were probably wondering why McCain thought we were "all" now from a Sounthern state on the east coast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_(U.S._state)

3. I was wondering what a "Berliner" looked like.

4. If you don't believe this election in Iran was rigged, then you are a salesman's dream come true. :p

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I really think it depends on how you define "rigged" as well. In a country where there is a history of bad things happening to people who don't support the government, I do not find it hard to believe that two-thirds of the population voted in favor of the current President. It wouldn't require tampering with ballot boxes, over or under reporting results, or even strong arm tactics - just a history of scare tactics.

8. Chandos the Red

Media:
    My understanding is that Ahemdinejad is nothing more than the supreme leader's "yes man," and that he was so good at the job, that the SL decided to keep him around for another go.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/31393148#31393148

9. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It's also my understanding that no one wants Ahmadinejad to stay in power more than Israel. They need him. They can't justify their saber rattling and hard-line stance against a reasonable moderate like Mousavi. They need a barking lunatic that requires no villainizing as an adversary. You don't have to convince anyone outside of Iran that Ahmadinejad is a threat who must be rallied against.

Drew likes this.
  10. Ragusa

Media:
    Yes, my bad. Liberty and democracy are different things.
    Outpunned!
    Well, there you are. They are indeed called Berliner, even though the silly East Germans for some inexplicable reason call them 'Pfannkuchen'. They don't look like anything you make in a pan, but they apparently just have to call it by another name. They're filled with plum or strawberry marmalade. Tasty.
    I am a reasonably good salesman :shake: I am also reasonably sceptic. I remember I held the view that Iraq had no WMD in 2002, when it wasn't cool to say that, because, after all, everbody knew that Saddam had WMD, after all everybody was talking about them as if they were there, so there must be something to it ... I was right.

11. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Yes, you were right - Because everyone now knows there are WMDs in Iran and elections in Iraq. :)

12. Ragusa

Media:
    Sort of-ish :D

13. pplr Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Media:
  14. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Ragusa - It seems the "crackdown" on the opposition has begun. IMO, the Republic is demonstrating just how cowardly and currupt it is. I will be wearing green all day tomorrow in solidarity with those in Iran who are fighting for their freedom and against those tinhorn dictators who "rule" in Iran with the blood of their citizens on their hands.

What a shamful regime. If the regime does crush the oppostion in this manner, I hope Isreal does bomb their "treasured" nuke sites into Oblivion. It couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of bullies, IMO. :mad:

http://shooresh1917.blogspot.com/

15. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Careful Chandos. All you're doing is giving credence to the claim that the US's interference in Iran's internal affairs in this matter is intolerable :lol:

16. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    As someone elsewhere put it--it's great that conservatives in Iran use the US the same way conservatives in the US use Iran.

Drew likes this.
  17. pplr Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Media:
    Perhaps but more to the point of the people themselves.

If anyone could pass along my good wishes and praise for those Iranians who are protesting just because they want honest elections I would appreciate it-especially to any who may have suffered or been beaten up for it.

Chandos the Red likes this.
  18. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Well, it appears the Grand Poobah of Iran has ordered an end to protests "OR ELSE," complete with his melodramatic "weeping," which I guess he does on occasion for effect.

The old fool is a typical tyrant. I always felt we invaded the wrong country...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31440649/ns/world_news-mideastn_africa//

19. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I tend to think the same thing. It's really difficult to predict what's going to happen in the coming days. I'm frankly surprised the uprising has lasted this long - both the people still staying strong (and the crowds are increasing!) and the state security forces staying their hand. It will be interesting to see if they really do start cracking down, what will happen. The protesters outnumber the security forces by about 10 to 1, but guns and riot gear tend to neutralize that advantage somewhat.

We'll see. This is all fascinating to see play out, though. I really hope the people get what they want. At the end of the day though, no matter what happens, 3 things will be certain to remain unchanged: 1) Iran will still be an Islamic theocratic state, 2) they will still pursue nuclear capabilities, and 3) they will still be at odds with Israel. The best hope the West has, I think, is for the Iranian government to finally recognize the need to embrace modernity and join the rest of the world, which is what the vast majority of their people obviously want. The best shot they have at achieving this, in my opinion, is with Mousavi leading. They can still be a conservative Islamic state and do that, and the west can still deal with them rationally and constructively. Otherwise, we keep perpetuating this endless cycle of isolation and war posture, which isn't really benefiting anyone.

20. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    One thing to bear in mind re: state security forces is that the military and bog standard police are not the least bit inclined to go drown a riot in blood. Now, the militias and Revolutionary Guard...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.