1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Europe vs America

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Spliff Krieger, Oct 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Svyatoslav Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Yes, I am an idiot because I hurt your unlimited English pride.
    You might offend me all you want, I am sure the fact you did bollocks in the War hurts much more than your petty insults anyway,

Iago,

Come on, you know this is a sophism. :) Ok, War was declared, but the fact the Axis could not bother to invade South America - and thus they withstood till the very end - makes them winners? I dont think so. Plus, as far as I am concerned, only a few South American countries entered in the War, like Brazil.
    I was talking about contributing to german defeat...

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    You give attitude out, you have to expect it back. If you're alright with me, I'll be spot on with you, you act the **** giving it the big one with the attitude then you will get attitude back.

Who actually CARES who did what in the War? It was won, that's all there is to it. Britain protected itself from an air-force much larger than out own, and helped to liberate France and other European countries. There is no way the war could have been won without British and American help, that's the end of it.

Now I suggest you read a book called 'How to Make Friends and Influence People' :lol: .

3. Svyatoslav Gems: 12/31

You got me wrong. I dont feel offended by being called an idiot. As far as I care, you might give whatever attitude you fing appropriate.

Yes, the War would be won anyway. The Americans did help, but I am afraid the English only posed.

Why? Do you need it? ;) I certainly dont. Actually, I abhor self help books.

4. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    You what?

That is incredibly disrespectful to the 60,000+ British army casualties and their families. Not to mention those that innocents who died in the air raids :rolleyes: .

You've got a screw loose you have mate :lol: .

5. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Oh, come on. British, as well as US and Soviets all had a great role in winning the war. Is worth to remember that the Brits stood alone against Hitler for a year or so (untill Germany attacked Russia). If the English would have folded, I doubt the US would have gotten into war (in Europe, at least). As about the Soviets... of course, they bore the brunt of the fighting on land, but one should not forget the enormous materiel support they got from the Western powers. I read somewhere that 90% of Red Army trucks were american made.

6. Svyatoslav Gems: 12/31

I am not offended.

Sorry, but it is an offense bringing up this number in face of 3 million dead Polish, almost 2 millions Jugoslavians and 27 millions Eastern Slavs - mostly civilians.
    Was that supposed to be a joke?

Wait, it is you who needs self help books, not me. :D

7. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Well Barmy, I am sure the British forces did this out of the goodness of their hearts, but I think the government had other ideas.

taken from

8. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    And WW III begins on SP.

9. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    [​IMG] Which part of Tal's warning was not understood? All of you were warned that flaming would lead to this thread being closed. Some of you have been here long enough to know the rules, yet they are being blantantly ignored. All of you know the rules by now. Please follow them.

10. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

The war could not be won without UK: If UK had fallen, the germans could bring more forces to the eastern front (from ground troops to the squadrons, which were used for Germany's air defense), the german industrial activity would never face problems from the bombings, the americans would not have a base for their operations and the invasion of western europe could never take place.

The war could not be won without Soviet Union: The german army took the vast majority of its casualties in both men and equipment in the Eastern front and the soviet tanks were the only ones, which could face the german zoo.If Soviet Union had fallen, the western allies would have to face all the german army and not the reserve troops they faced during the first days of Operation Overlord, they would never achieve the critical total air superiority and Hitler would have a vast pool of resources.

The world could not be won without US: Without the american help and supplies UK would have to surrender due to starvation and lack of resources, without the american industry the allies would not have enough equipment to replace their losses and without the american army the opening of western front, for which Stalin was begging after the battle of Kurk could never happen.

I hope that the above will make all of you happy.

11. Svyatoslav Gems: 12/31

No! We won the War alone! LOL!

12. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

The Polish example was just that, an example. Sorry to offend. I easily could have picked a large number of nationalities that participated in the Holocaust.

And that really is the point. What do your living grandparents have to say about their actions during that time? Do they ever talk about it?

I have heard from American friends, whom I am sure have no more experience in these matters than I do, but regardless, they have said that history books in Europe seem to skip the years of 1935 to about 1945. My buddy made me smirk when he said in a blatantly awful German accent, "1938?...No, vee vere making pretzels then; I don'tz know vhat of you speak."

So I am just curious if that sort of purported white washing is really how the war is handled.

13. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] If anyone wants to discuss WW2, open a new thread about it, I'm closing this one, since it's obviously gone way off topic. If a new thread is opened, we'll actually be enforcing the rules there, so anyone starting with insults there again will be asked to stay out of AoDA and AoLS for a while. If you're a repeat offender, possibly for good. You know who you are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.