1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fishing

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Dead_Blo, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    As far as being a sport, I guess you have to define sport. To me, for it to be a sport, all participants must be there willingly. So, even if no athleticism is required, as for an event like poker, I'm OK with calling it a sport, because presumably everyone who is there wants to be there. As for something like fisihing (and ditto hunting) I can't imagine that the contribution the fish makes is all too willing.

Now I don't have a problem with the ethics of fishing. We've been catching and eating fish for countless millenia. That we have refined and improved our methods is immaterial to the question as a whole. I like sea food, and I don't have a problem with people catching and eating fish. Heck, there are many areas in the U.S. where they have hatcheries where they raise fish, and they later put them in lakes, rivers, etc., with the intent that they will be caught.

2. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

we own land in the provinces so when I was younger we used to go out and have family outings there. maybe it's because i haven't been deep-sea fishing or whatever but I found fishing to be booring :rolleyes: :p

3. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Deep sea fishing is a ton more fun than fishing in lakes, ponds, or rivers... tougher fish, tougher fight.

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I'm sorry, but sitting around for hours waiting for a fish to take your bait is a good description of boredom to me. I'm not against fishing, but it's not something that I find the least bit fun or interesting. But each to their own, I guess.

5. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

Damn straight, HB. If I wanted to stand up to my nethers in freezing cold water for hours on end with no chance of reprieve, I'd go to the beach at Weston-Super-Mare.

But seriously, there are much better ways of enjoying the countryside. Go for a walk, go camping, wrestle bears... don't just stand there staring into muddy water, for the love of God! Nowt so queer as folk, as they say.

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    If you're sitting around for hours waiting for a fish to take your bait, you're doing something wrong. And that's really where part of the fun lies: Figuring out what is the right thing to use and where to use it to catch some fish. It can actually be pretty interesting.

For example, we found over time that the Northern Pike in North Dakota loved a particular type of lure of a particular color. If you used the same shape lure of a different color, you got nothing (or perhaps something you didn't want :) ). If you used a lure of the same color but different shape you got nothing.

The Northern Pike loved the frogs too, but the Walleye loved the leeches. I remember this one time we went fishing for Walleye at this particular place and there were people up and down the shore not catching too much of anything. I happened to find the exact right spot, and if I dropped my leech in that particular spot, I'd get a fish within a minute or two; if not, it meant I missed the spot, so I'd reel it up and cast it back out to try to get the right spot again. I caught my limit right quick that day... real fun :)

So, in reality, fishing is not such a simple sport as some might believe; and if you think so, you probably won't be catching much.

7. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Fishing is fun. My son recently got a Cub Scout belt loop for fishing. For the record we do catch and release, but that is only because we would have no idea what to do with the fish after we caught it and he hates seafood. Maybe they teach that in Boy Scouts.

8. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

If you grow up fishing small, swift streams for brook trout in Northern New England like I did, it's hardly a boring experience. Sometimes it's a monumental challenge just to work your way up stream through brush and rocks just to get to the next "hole" where there might be fish. Make too much noise, cast a shadow or drop your bait clumsily and you spook the fish and they won't go for anything. I'll never forget the day that I walked into a yearling black bear who was heading downstream as I was heading upstream (needless to say, fishing was cancelled for the day...I wonder if my gear is still there...)

Many a fond memory began with gathering nightcrawlers in the dark to hit the fishing spots just as the sun was rising. It truly takes skill, finesse and knowlege. As BTA has already said, an entire days fishing can be wasted just because you didn't know what color or shape lure to use.

I never did enjoy much "boat fishing" where you sit around in a bassboat all day and hope your beer cooler doesn't get empty before the sun goes down...but people who do that aren't there to fish anyway.

When you factor into other skills that are related like rod making and fly tying...there's no way that you can't consider fishing a sport.

9. Sticker Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

There's nothing wrong with "sports" fishing, as long as it's done in a resposible way. The same goes for industrial fishing, unfortunately the fishing industry is often short sighted and over fish. Thus decemating the fish poulations and shooting themselves, as well as everyone eating fish, in the foot.

On a side note, I'd be careful in eating fish from lakes or rivers close to industrial areas. Due to biomagnification and -accumulation of toxins fish are veritable toxic waste.

10. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There's nothing wrong with Blinkie.

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

No, I can definitely say that fishing is not a sport. Just because it requires skill, doesn't make it a sport. Cabinet-making requires skill but that's not considered to be a sport in any country I know of.

12. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    <shrug> You simply have a narrow view that "sport" means an athletic game...

13. Harbourboy

OK - so movie directing is now a sport? And stamp collecting? And colouring competitions? And snakes and ladders? And Counter-Strike? You've got to draw the line somewhere, otherwise everything becomes a sport.

14. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

Dictionary.com defines "sport" as...

It seems like fishing would certainly fall into the third definition.

HB, In the US we have fishing tounaments, usually for bass, where fishermen compete with other fishermen to catch the most number of fish and the largest fish. Seems to me that this kind of fishing would even fall into the first definition.

Now fishing would never be considered a "spectator sport", which may lead to some of the discrepancy in how various members here view it...although some of the larger tournaments will draw crowds to watch.

15. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I would certainly call fishing tournaments and such for sports and if you take it seriously enough to compete then it's most cerainly sport, but I think most people fish just as a passtime are not exactly competing in it, so I would not call that kind of fishing a sport.

16. Saber

And some fishing is certainly althetic. Try reeling in a 900 pound tuna. Usually takes 4 or 5 people taking 5 minute shifts for a few hours to reel one of those puppies in. And even a large sea bass is physically exerting. Fighting one of those for 10 minutes strains your body.

17. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I prefer George Carlin's definition of a sport myself: If it doesn't have a ball it's not a sport.

Along those lines....

If you can drink beer while participating it's not a sport -- it's recreation.

If it involves killing another creature it's not a sport -- it's survival.

18. Harbourboy

T2Bruno - I like your definition better than the dictionary.com one. The dictionary one would include my jokey examples like Counter-Strike or even driving a taxi (you compete against other tax-drivers to get the most fares). Just because you compete against someone, and there are rules doesn't make something a sport, in my opinion.

19. Saber

Well, you can't drink beer and drive a cab legally, so... it's a sport!

20. T2Bruno

Media:
    I just posted the relevant portions to this post.

If some external force is required to participate, it is not a sport. Watching cars go around and around is not a sport -- NASCAR and Formula 1 are events, not sports (driving a cab is called a JOB).

I love to watch horses race, but it's not a sport. If the creature doing the primary athletic function of the event is not able to understand the benefits of winning, it is not a sport -- horse racing and dog racing are gambling venues, not sports.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.