1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

France in flames

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Pac man, Nov 5, 2005.

1. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    This thread has started to segue into a general discussion of the policies of immigration. Interesting stuff, but only one issue on the France is burning nature of the thread. Please restrict the immigration discussion to the actual thread. If you want to discuss immigration in general, please open a new thread. Thanks.

2. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

No problems eh ? No Chechnians attacking theaters and schools, no bombings in the heart of Moscow ?

3. LeFleur Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I really wonder what people would say if it were hooligans or neo-nazi's that were rioting for weeks, burning everything and shooting at the fire brigade.

I think both groups would have been clubbed near death by special police riot forces, or even by the army. still these ''north african'' guys can pull this off, and the only thing that happens is that they get filmed and a few get arrested.

So please explain to me, why are these guys positively discriminated? Are we scared for being called racists because we punish troublemakers? Or do we fear further escalation and that's why we do nothing?

I think the time has come to set the army on this, guys throwing molotovs at random should be treated for what they are, unpredictable, violent and armed terrorists. (that's right, they terrorise the country)

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    France should have sent troops on the streets as soon as it was obvious that the police alone can't handle the situation. The fact that they still haven't done that and that rioting has spread over 300 (!) towns by now is unbelievable... What are the moron politicians there waiting for, a miracle?

Here's the latest: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051107/ap_on_re_eu/france_rioting

5. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

LeFleur :thumb:

Great points. What if they were neonazis/hools indeed... Would we hear people arguing that they go mad because of poor accommodations, job prospectives and little social acceptance?
    A nice lesson in double standards.

6. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Does France have a law or two preventing the deployment/use of troops domestically?

That's the only explanation I can come up with, aside from utter incompetence on a scale that meets or exceeds that which we saw with FEMA's "handling" of Katrina.

And yes, LeFleur does make good points.

7. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

@LeFleur: most true! :D I support your point of view in 100%.

8. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

... but that's what I say, when they ask me about East-Germany and the racaille there. No jobs, no future, no upringing... no nothing except rampant xenophobia where the only non-German in the range of 50 km is a investor from a foreign land... desperately trying to escape the mob...

The worst thing to do know anyway is bring in the military. Of all bad options, the military option is the worst. If they bring in the military, fires will be all over and probably cross the borders. First rule: Never ever use the military against your own citizens, except you are ready to kill lots of them.

9. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Perhaps the human race has simply decided to let itself go, and this and Katrina are simply the outward symptoms of its euthanasia.
    Nah.

Just bring in the army, put the rioters down, and get on with the rebuilding. We've seen enough of this crap already in NO.

10. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I seek to escape the one year long civil-service that indiscriminates people by being twice as long as the conscript-service. Other than that; depressing winter, cold people, high taxes, inadequate chances of employment, and the curiosity towards foreign culture. All very good reasons to leave.

What do you mean? Even if the wave was IN and not OUT of them, they really would need to relax the legistlation in this area -especially Russia, that still seems to be almost paranoid. :hmm:

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

New Zealand is full of immigrants and we don't have any of this sort of violence going on. Plenty of our immigrants maintain strong links to their own culture and don't make any special effort to "integrate", but I don't see anything wrong with that. I prefer to deal with people as individuals rather than just labelling specific groups. All of my neighbours are "immigrants" and they're all very nice people. I don't go and hang around with them all the time, but they're still good people to have in the community. Why can't we all just learn to get along. :hippy:

12. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Second and last warning - general immigration/integration posts belong in the thread I am about to create, because none of you can be bothered to hit a button to create that thread.

:rolleyes:

13. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Perhaps you are just prone to ending up on the wrong side, Iago?

But I feel dmc's glowering stare. Lets cut it.

14. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

My last general post to immigration in general.

Yeah, I know. While I had one or two unpleasent encounters with turkish looking individuals (not violant ones, though), I'm not prone to damn all of them to hell.

And there is the issue of critical thinking. People never think about the motives of these guys.

Back to topic: I don't think that sending in "the troops" will accomplish anything. It could be getting worse.
    At least, with no political actions like setting the immigration problems on top of the agenda.

15. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You do not use the military on your own civilians, ever. That *is* a recipie for disaster and a horrible statement to make.

16. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

Ah, but are they considered "their own civilians"?

17. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    They got the birth and paperwork to show for it, no matter the colour of their skin.

These kind of things are as much if not more a social and economical problem than a cultural or racial.

18. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31

@ Chev: Thanks for the info - as I said, I'm lamentably ignorant about the particulars of this, being many thousand kilometres away. :thumb:

@ HB: Too right. Thankfully, it seems that while NZ and Australia have occasional minor race-motivated problems, it's never as bad as what's going on in France. It could be due to a lack of concentrated marginalised non-Anglo communities (with a few obvious exceptions - Redfern in NSW, for example), but that's just a guess. In fact, the most recent rioting in Redfern was sparked by a remarkably similar event - a young Aboriginal male was killed while fleeing police (IIRC, he was impaled on a fence, but I don't know what the coronial investigation found).

--------------------------

Apparently, the first fatality in the rioting has been recorded. On top of that, rioters are actively ambushing law enforcement personnel.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/french-riots-claim-first-life/2005/11/08/1131212012103.html

http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/french-police-injured-as-rioters-open-fire/2005/11/07/1131212007307.html

I agree that it's a bad idea to turn your military on your own people. However, there's a difference between deployment and engagement, and it's becoming painfully clear that the police and other order mechanisms are failing (a curfew has now been imposed in Paris).

Police and law enforcement are actively being targeted and seriously injured by rioters; I don't think it's an overreaction to put the army on the streets to help restore order when everything else has failed. Of course, if the military starts opening fire on its own citizens... well, then you'll have a minor civil war on your hands.

What interests me more is the nature and organisation of these riots. They're too precise and directed (for want of a better word) to be the work of a spontaneous uprising. Obviously something is very wrong in France for this kind of rioting to occur, and from what I can ascertain, it has a strong obvious socio-cultural/economic element to it. I don't know enough about domestic politics in France to make an informed comment, though.

While it's easy to point blame everywhere, re-establishing order should be the first priority - and since current methods aren't enough, something more needs to be done. It is a dangerous path to bring in the military, but I don't see too many other options at the moment, and this violence and destruction has to be brought under control and/or stopped. Once that's been achieved, they can worry about finding the people responsible, the reasons why, and then figuring out how to prevent it from re-occurring.

19. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

I didn't mean officially. The problem could be that this border in french society affects politicians and policemen in their actions. I am afraid that they will use more force against rioters with maghrebian or african background as if the rioters were caucasians.

You can break that down to the individual. Will the average policeman hesitate to shoot at an non-white person?

20. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I think you mean the average WHITE policeman ? And that makes it sound as if every white cop is a racist, which is simply not true.

Also, France has a large contingency of non-whites on the policeforce.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.