1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Gemification of the Mundane Avatars

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Taluntain, May 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] One it is then... I don't get the complaint about being "branded" though. It's not like I debased non-contributing members to a profile without any pictures whatsoever. You now get a new system which is just an unique as avatars or portraits.

I value all members equally, the gems should be subliminal message enough to tell you that. Even the lowest of newbies starts as a gem here.

2. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Don't assume that those without a custom haven't contributed. I like leveling up.
    And Tal, it's all good. Your seemingly endless work at SP is greatly appreciated.

3. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

[​IMG] Hmmm... I definitely prefer gems to stars (at least we're keeping to the BG spirit) however one gem instead of three would be a big improvement - much easier on the eyes.

Edit: Aaah - much better. Didn't even know there's 30 gems in BG?

[This message has been edited by Vukodlak (edited May 29, 2002).]

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Well, here you go then. One gem it is. ;)

It'll still show three in some places that haven't been updated yet.

5. DragonRider SkyWard Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I highly dislike the whole gem thing. It's a long way down from what was once. But I guess I dont have a say in it....

6. Llandon Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

I don't mean to be negative...I LOVE this site! But I don't like the gems. Actually, I really don't even like the portraits. I thought the the avatars was one element of this board (and granted a minor element) that made it different from the other boards I have visited.

7. C'Jakob Guest

I kinda dislike the gem thing as well; the avatars thing was a bit better. IMHO, the new system increases conformity and uniformity for those without custom avatars. Still I don't want to be negative, the new gem system is very cool, still better than that of other forums. Props to Taluntain for originality.

[This message has been edited by C'Jakob (edited May 29, 2002).]

8. Thorin Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Like the gem theme, but my question is why on the FAQ page do you have the BG2 value of the first and last gem?

9. DragonRider SkyWard Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

One more thing!

You cant tell the difference in the gems unless you read what number it is. Kinda stupid. Every one seems the same unless you have a custom avatar/portait.

10. ArchAngel Guest

[​IMG] Haha! I think this looks freaking hilarious. Talking gems. Once I saw Headbanger talking as three gems in the creative surge, I hurried for the whatnots forum for an explanation.

I can understand and follow your pun; "you are all my gems here on the SP." But there is no way I'll be able to seperate all gems. I also think that half the people will dislike the idea, that they are infact things now rather than creatures. Those signs are already showing.

In addition I think gems will be more frustrating to look at next to portraits. More frustrating than 3D avatars are next to portraits. But that is a much more insignificant problem. And one that is pure opinion against opinion.

Couldn't we hire someone professional to design female avatars? Or design Avatar monsters for all? Since that is the problem. I would gladly donate a little extra for that and so would others I hope. With a good 50 active members we should be able to get at least a few handfulls of portraits? I have no idea about that fact though. Just making conversation.

Anyway if gems have come to stay I am cracking up watching them talk. Like some whacky storyline from Monty Python. :1eye: But very very original! You are a pearl Tal. *g* *snicker*

[This message has been edited by ArchAngel (edited May 29, 2002).]

11. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] Great job, Tal! BTW, check your email...

12. total Guest

What about gems from icewind and planescape torment(is there any beside that portal gem?, maybe "blooddrops" and teardrops? :) ) I can see only gems from BG1.

And why dont you put name of the gem instead of words: "latest gem"?

But nice idea!

13. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31

Veteran

[​IMG] Yup, names of gems would be nice coz that would finally help me to remember what gems are worth (once I tracked back to Maevar's guild just to pick up a useless - 1gp gem, thinking it was valuable :mad:)

14. the god Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] no like gem thing. especially no like "latest gem:"...

15. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Everyone's a critic. :rolleyes:

And I don't suppose anyone's read the updated FAQ. I obviously type that thing just for my own benefit. In there it says that "if you hold your mouse cursor over the gem it will display its name".

And gems aren't supposed to "be" people like ArchAngel there suggested. They're supposed to act like stars, like ranks. You collect better gems as you go along, not "become" better gems.

And I'm getting a bit tired of the "ugh, I don't like gems, and I don't like portraits either while we're at it". I explained well enough that there aren't any more female avatars and that many females who donate don't have anything to pick from. I didn't change the whole system because I thought it'd be funny to piss you all off but because it was imperative.

And anyway, while we're at it, although this was not the idea behind the change, I'm sure all people who have contributed in some way do appreciate being a bit more special than everyone else on these boards. After all, people who either donate or buy things from SP are the minority that allows me to keep this server running and pay the monthly costs of $140. Yes, this minority pays (or contributes things you read/download) for the fun you all have! I don't make enough money from pop-ups (and no money at all from banners) to be able to pay even half the monthly costs of running this site. And I'm talking purely about money it costs to pay for hosting such a big site, money that stands between this site being here or being shut down. The value of my work and everything else is excluded from the equation by default. I'm just happy if I can scrape together enough money every month to pay for the site to be here for another month. And if it wasn't for the generous donations of a handful of people here, there would be no SP here any more.

So I would appreciate it if everyone toned down the comments that sound like jealous whining aimed at those who have avatars & portraits now. If you want an avatar or portrait so badly, you're very welcome to contribue something to SP and get your own.

There's also DragonRider SkyWard's comment that you can't see the difference between the gems. Well, for those with working eyesight I'd think that different colours and shapes would do the trick.

The gems are all from BG2 and go in value from lowest to highest. We want some uniformity here, obviously, that's why I didn't throw in gems from other games.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited May 29, 2002).]

16. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Change it back! Change it back!

I prefer the old Avatars they were so much better these look *sad*

Now I am DEFINATLY getting a custom avatar, or was it your intent to get people buying stuff and donating money to get rid of them?

17. DinoTiggy1 Guest

[​IMG] Ahh, well, I suppose that I'm going to have to get used to it, can we at least have the names of the gems though, i can't remember how expensive any of the gems are???

I'm going to take your advise, 8people, Now, wheres my dads wallet...?

18. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I like the gems, they are part of BG-1/2 and IWD-1 and probably IWD-2. The air of the infinity engine games is one of the things that, except the good niveau of info on site and on boards, make this site unique. Additionally, there is only a limited number of avatars available - considering that fortunately more and more people contribute work or money to SP they are getting rarer. The change to gems will make more avatars available for these purposes.

The change to gems is an appropiate solution for the problem. However, I think adding the name of the gem instead of "latest gem:" or 15/30 would IMO be a good idea.

19. Magnus Magicus Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Hehe...I'm glad I'm now a beautiful gem intead of an ugly goblin or whatever I was ;).

I think it's original and looks cool. Also people with custom avatars are now more clear. Think that's a good point as well.

But I do agree it would be nice to have the name of the gem above it. Holding your mousebutton above it isn't something a lot of people will think of. It might be more...intuitive or something...

Anyway, in one word: I LIKE IT! ;)

20. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31

Veteran

Second that: it'd be nice to see gem names on the page itself - me being a lazy git and all that...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.