1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Gemification of the Mundane Avatars

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Taluntain, May 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheBlackRose Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

3D avatars were better-looking, but this will certainly put more money into SP, and thus make SP better. :)

Oh well, I'm a big bad custom user anyways. ;)

2. DragonRider SkyWard Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Hmmm...I wonder how I'm going to break it to the parents that I'm sending $10 over sea's, on the net none the less! My parents dont like the inter net very much. They think that every thing that they type can be seen. And that includes credit card stuff. I dont know what I'm going to say...

Anyways I havn't said that I'm going to be doing it but I havn't said that I'm not.

3. Quit the complaining people, the gems are 3d, look closely, they have three dementions. They arent Avatars, ohwell, we the people of SP are still individual in respect to the other webpages that call themselves message boards.

4. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    People these days!!! Tal wanted to change HIS site, and you all come whining. He changes it again to better suit you all, and you still come whining! If you really don't like it, go to another forum. I personally like it. I'd rather be a gem than a stupid monster!!! :rolling:

5. Invoker Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

The way I take it, you are not a gem :) There's only the amount of gems collected and the most valuable gem you've earned due to your postings :p

If it were stars instead of gems, it wouldn't cause this much confusion methinks :p Yet, the gems are very original I have to admit.

6. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] DRSW, do what I'm doing, and send an International Money Order!

Um, DeBhaal, try "dimensions." Sorry to nitpick, but heck, dementia is something else entirely!

[This message has been edited by SlimShogun (edited May 30, 2002).]

7. Tal, it's A-Ok. Keep breathing and repeat "I will not punch the monitor no matter what everyone says about the avatars". I like whatever you have in stock, Taluntain. ;)

8. sorvo Guest

I go off on a 5 day bender and come back to a whole new system! I like it, especially if it brings in some more cash;)

9. total Guest

This is not a complainment but every first time in a day i open SP boards i get 2 popups from >NetFlip<, its only when i open SP so i thought ok Tal is putting pup ups, its least i can do to help but then he says he doesnt have them (ok he says he doesnt make money on them, but its silly to put pop up just for looks).

Btw, what is the best way to send 10$ of support for SP from Croatia (I'm still without card), and do you prefer bucks or tollars? And how much is 10$ in tollars!

10. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

I liked the avatars more.... :)

test....

Well, avatar or gem... I will spam anywayz :)

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I never said pop-ups were there just for the looks. What I said is that I don't make even half the money with them that I need every month to cover the hosting expenses. That still means I make at least some money with them, or better, the only money I make from advertising is from the pop-ups, and even this is not nearly enough.

As for sending money from Croatia... Just pack it into an envelope and send it to my address. It's just accross the border, I trust it won't get lost. Just put the money in it so that you can't see it from the outside. And $10 is 2410 SIT. Whatever you send is fine with me (USD or SIT).

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited May 30, 2002).]

12. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] :( Those gems they they just suck!

Why replace nice creatures with stupid gems? I hated the gems in the game, and now the are here...

What is next? We get an amount of many accordinf to or posts?????

Please change it back... I want to level up a few times and become an Orc, not just another useless gem....

13. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31

Removing two of the gems was good, looks much better now.

Maybe they should be more like the old avatars, i.e. cut down the text above the pic and replace it with the gemname. Example:

John Smith
    Sunstone Gem
    <Picture>

I think it'd look much better, and slightly more like the custom ones.

14. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] As I said before, whining about it won't achieve anything. And you can cry your eyes out telling me to change back, but it's not going to happen.

Volar Blackmane, the point is not to make people see themselves as gems (or things, as someone pointed out), but to give you the idea that you're collecting better gems as you go along, as opposed to custom portraits & avatars which actually do become representations of that specific user.

This new system makes the contributing members more special by giving them a bit more individuality than everyone else on the boards, but also gives all others something to play with. The other alternative would be to only keep avatars & portraits for those who contribute and drop everyone else down to just usernames. And I'm sure you'd all hate that even more.

Now it all boils down to whether you want to actually do something for SP to get that avatar or portrait you so badly want. I can tell you one thing up front - whining won't get you one. If you want one, you can get it the same way as everyone else. The details are in the FAQ.

If you feel that running SP is simply my problem and that your presence here is more than enough of a contribution, that's fine. Even if the reality of the monthly bill for SP says otherwise, you're free to carry on with that line of thought. But at least don't make presumptions & demands based on some wild idea that I owe you something. (Avatars, in this case.)

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited May 30, 2002).]

15. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    I think the gem thing is ok. I guess people always complain if something changes, but everyone will eventually get used to the new system.

[This message has been edited by Uytuun (edited May 30, 2002).]

16. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] I'd just like to say thank you to tal for putting all this effort into creating and maintaining SP which is the best Infinity Engine games site on the net IMHO. And you’re all whinging like a load of spoilt brats. You ought to be grateful not just whining that you don't like it. If you don't like it then just ignore it, donate, or just don't come to the boards.
    Sorry if i offended any of you but i just had to say this because your ungrateful comments were really starting to piss me off.

17. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    I totally agree with you Lazy Bonzo, the boards are a great place to hang out,with our without the old avatars. After all, isn't what we actually post more important than how we look like on the forums?!

18. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31

It's actually a lot better now Tal. I guess the 3 gems thing was what bothered me, they were hard on my eyes. The single gem with its name beside it will have to do until I decide to donate. :p
    Thanks for the little speech Lazy Bonzo, you made a damn good point, you too Uytuun. The gems aren't so bad, and I wasn't looking forward to becoming some of those avatars...orc for example (dirty swiner :p) With gems, there's no way I can dread becoming one of them, since there aren't many nasty evil gems out there. ;)

19. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] Well Tal let me say one more thing: You are wrong again. If I must choose between no Avatar Or A Gem, then I go for just my name and posts, so no picture at all...

Cause I really hate Gems!

20. Damona Silvercloud Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Damn I hate it when noobs whine. If all you plan on doing, SleepleSS, is pissing and moaning then do it on a board without gems. You're not doing anyone a favor by complaining.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.