1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Germany: Parents Cannot Get Boys Circumcised

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Blackthorne TA, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    If we accept the theory of evolution, then why should nature spend 3 million years giving man a foreskin if it is a liability? I mean, evolution would see to it that men without foreskin were removed from the gene pool and men without would prevail. But the opposite seems to have happened.

If on the other hand we accept the theory of creationism, then why would an omniscient and omnipotent God give men a foreskin if keeping it were a sin? Doesn't make sense to me either.

Way I see it, it's Heads, foreskin wins; Tails, circumcision loses!

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Monty - not so sure that evolution is all that simple. If the thing is not statistically significant to the propogation of the species, it shouldn't matter.

Given that most of the things that are being argued as being reduced or prevented by circumcision are things that are either of recent origin (HIV and many STD's) or occur later in life (penile cancer), evolution hasn't gotten around to this and might never do so. Plus, things that are relatively rare are not going to cause something to be weeded out as a liability. If your penis exploded within your first 10 years if you had a foreskin, then I'd agree it would have been weeded out. :p

On another note, it seems to me that the only people capable of discussing the sensation issue are men who were circumcised after they became sexually active. Probably not a large statistical universe . . .

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    T2 the nerve endings are the same but you don't think they get numbed by years of underwear chafing? If you have a wound it hurts like hell the first time you touch, the more you touch it the less it hurts because the nerves get de-sensitized. The same is true for the penis.

I refer back to my previous point though, men who are circumcised are not likely to decide that they have been wronged or that there is something wrong with them. If people like T2 who are otherwise reasonably reasonable scoff at Silvery's article like he did I doubt it is possible to reach them. What I can hope is that they like Aldeth can agree that it would be a good idea to let the owner of the penis decide themselves whether to cut off part of it or not even if they themselves didn't get that choice.

Small note, I had never even heard about penile cancer before this thread so I doubt it is a big problem circumcised or not. The only way I in my rather limited knowledge can imagine circumcision lowering the risk of it would be that there are fewer cells in a circumcised penis and thus less body mass in which a cancer can grow. With that reasoning we should, as was mentioned in the article, cut out the breasts of small girls before they develop to stop breast cancer.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Actually, penis cancer is very rare everywhere. I find it much more fascinating to what lengths some authors (and circumcised men) go to try to justify circumcision when even the entire American medical community (the most hard-core defenders of circumcision for decades) have realized and publicly announced quite some time ago that the supposed benefits in no shape or form justify pre-emptive circumcision. It's... unnerving. But then, it's really well covered in the articles linked throughout the thread. It's all in the head... no, the other head. :lol:

Excellent analogy. Just because something seems to make sense on some level does not mean it actually does in reality.

5. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Really? You've got to be kidding me on that one. The whole argument of 'you cut off part of your wanker you must have less feeling' is what I disagree with. That is closely followed by 'My gawd man, doesn't that thing swinging down there chaf?'

That's the majority of arguments I hear against circumcision - just a bunch of wives tales and urban myths. The doctors in Silv's article only mentioned one side -- they didn't even address the other side's arguments or go to the length of the posters here to at least agree there are some (albeit minor) benefits for circumcision. I find that disturbing in what is supposed to be a respected magazine. In a reputable article I generally expect to see the pros and cons laid out -- even if the two sides are extremely lopsided. That wasn't done at all, the article was just one sided.

Other than the ridiculous argument, I don't really care if a person is circumcised. I will say that had I not been circumcised I would have had to endure a lot of bullying in school ... well a lot more. Everyone in PE class was circumcised and to not be would have targeted the boy as a freak.

But that's not the case anymore.

I personally left the decision up to Mrs Bruno, who researched the issue and then decided on circumcision. I'm not sure her reasoning and I didn't ask.

... and I suppose the risk of cancer in midgets is far less than that for the obese. That's really a stretch.

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    T2, I'm sure the American medical community has researched every infinitesimally small benefit for circumcision that they could find and put it on a list, and STILL they've decided to STOP recommending the practice after decades of being one of very, very few civilized countries where circumcision was pretty much mandatory on (at least on paper) non-religious reasons.

Don't you think that if the supposed benefits were really there, or actually worth it, that the official stance wouldn't have changed? I'm sure it took a heck of a lot of effort to change the stance on a position that got so deeply rooted in the American culture that boys whose genitals were left unmutilated were (are) viewed as "freaks"?

Sorry, but if you're going as far as saying that the doctors in both Europe and America (most of whom were probably circumcised themselves and shared your POV) don't know what they're talking about, then who exactly is qualified to advocate one position or the other? Only your Average Joe American who comes from a family with a tradition of boys getting circumcised for at least the last 70 years and who views anyone who isn't as an abomination and an affront to God?

7. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Tal, you're making assumptions. I never said all doctors were wrong, only that the article linked was extremely biased (perhaps justifiably but I'm not really concerned about it). I also said the arguments by some members of the boards about circumcision were wive's tales and urban myths.

There are some nut cases who want to equate circumcision with ritualistic genitilia mutilation -- what a bunch of BS. Such statements really diminish the absolute horror the women in such situations go through. Taking a little excess flesh off the penis (which was probably first started by some moron trying to get his 12 year old son to stop whacking off) is nothing comparied to the removal of the clitoris. They're not even in the same league. There are also some who put circumcision and castration on the same level in arguments. Ridiculous. When idiots start making such extreme statements it weakens the argument. It may be a form of mutilation, but more like piercing and tattoos -- so make those illegal too.

I think these types of laws are a waste of time and taxpayer money.

8. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    From the American cancer society [Linky]:
    T2,
    the problem is that when adults make the decision over whether to get their foreskin cut off or to get a tattoo or a boob job that's ok because it is adults making the decision for themselves. Naturally, when children are being circumcised, it's adults making the decision also, but the procedure is irreversible and they don't have to carry the consequences themselves. As indicated by the statement of the cancer society, it is largely an unnecessary medical procedure.

Circumcision is used for cultural reasons and that it prevents penile cancer is just a rationalisation.

9. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It is worse to cut off an arm than a finger but you are still cutting things off.

10. T2Bruno

Media:
    Ragusa, you're confusing my ranting against rather silly arguments with agreement of the procedure.

I've seen small children with piercings and there was even a push to tattoo children with identification in case of stranger abduction a while back in the US -- I view these things similar to circumcision. There are also a lot of unnecessary medical procedures a parent can force onto their children (tonsillectomy comes to mind and is not necessary in most cases). A country can outlaw them all if they want but it's still a waste of government time and money IMO.

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    dmc is completely correct here. The only way evolution works is by removing genes from the population that diminish one's chances of reproducing. The top three causes of death in the US are heart disease, cancer, and diabetes. What they all have in common is that they typically only manifest themselves after the age when one would be reproducing. Evolution can't act to remove any genetic predispositions towards these diseases from the species, because by the time that you see the negative affects of these conditions, your genes have already been passed on.

By Monty's reasoning, no one should have an appendix, and men definitely shouldn't have nipples. Evolution doesn't work that way. The only way evolution works are removing conditions that hinder or prevent one from reproducing. Those genes then aren't passed on to future generations, eventually eliminating them from the gene pool.

If something neither helps nor hurts one's chances of reproducing, there's nothing for evolution to work on. Those genes will likely stay in the species. As an example, look at things like hair color and eye color. Evidently, there's no universally ideal hair color or eye color, as we still see all the different types today. (Granted in people of African and Asian descent, black hair and brown eyes is practically all you ever see, but the larger point is that if having blonde hair or blue eyes was an impediment to reproducing, we wouldn't see any people with blonde hair or blue eyes. It isn't, so the phenotype persists.)

12. Montresor

Media:
    I'd say that something which is not beneficial would be removed by evolution, especially from the reproductive organs. So a foreskin must be, if not beneficial, then definitely not a drawback!

If a foreskin is neither an advantage nor a disadvantage, I'd expect to see boys born both with and without foreskins. If foreskins were a disadvantage, I'd expect evolution to eliminate them. Since all boychildren are born with foreskins, I have to assume that they serve some kind of purpose.

13. T2Bruno

Media:
    dmc's comment still applies, you haven't changed the precepts of the argument. Having neither an advantage nor disadvantage is no reason for evolutionary change -- there needs to be a fairly significant advantage or no change at all will occur. There is no reasonable expectation of seeing boys born with and without foreskins even if the foreskin is unnecessary. By the reasoning you used having an appendix or tonsils or nipples in men would simply be a random occurance -- obviously not the case.

14. Montresor

Media:
    At the very least a foreskin cannot be a disadvantage. If it were, evolution would eliminate it - after all, we are talking about the male reproductive organ so any disadvantage would affect the ability to procreate. Evolution has had three million years or so to improve on the design of the male reproductive organ in Homo Sapiens and has not done so.

In fact, those three million years of evolution have produced a species where 100% of all boys are born with foreskins and 0% are born without. I consider those statistics significant enough that I personally believe that, in the general case men are better off with their foreskins than without them.

And I certainly don't believe that circumcision is in any way advantageous to a newborn baby.

15. T2Bruno

Media:
    You're using a circular argument and not really considering how evolution works. Also, homo sapiens have only been around for ~200,000 years and we have no evidence I know of which can accurately describe the male reproductive organ of early homo sapiens let alone that of australopithecus africanus (which did live three million years ago). Is what we have an improvement from back then? I don't know. Is what we have now the ideal? Again, don't know.

Evolution does not always take the best long term path or the path to make the best end product. It simply takes the path that is best at that moment in time -- for whatever reason. Evolutionary arguments are rather silly when discussing such things.

16. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    That much I'd agree with - if it were a major impediment to reproducing, then surely it would have been eliminated.

Evolution doesn't have a design in mind - it's not working towards anything. Changes occur by random chance, and most of those changes are deleterious. Evolution is not working towards "building a better penis". Or anything else like that. Just because you've gone through countless generations doesn't mean that evolution has optimized something. It doesn't guarantee that you get something that is the ideal solution. All it gives you is something that works - at that particular moment in time.

It probably isn't. There's no reason to suspect that evolution has designed the perfect penis. We can be pretty confident in saying that it has designed one that does a pretty good job of getting genes to the next generation, but there's nothing to suggest it couldn't get better. Just look at me (and I suspect T2). We can throw ours over our shoulder, so obviously we represent an advanced subset - but most guys aren't so lucky.

T2Bruno likes this.
  17. Montresor

Media:
    I have to go by the observable data. After 3 million years, or maybe only a mere 200,000 years, the statistics are:

100% of all boy children are born WITH a foreskin.
    0% of all boy children are born WITHOUT.

Based on that observation, I can draw one of 3 possible conclusions:

1) A foreskin is an advantage in some way.
    2) A foreskin doesn't matter one way or another; we just happen to be born with one.
    3) Nature has committed an error, and we'd all be better off without foreskins.

I find 1) to be the most probable.

Until and unless somebody can prove scientifically that I'd be better off without a foreskin, I prefer not to have the doctors cut off any part of that most important part of me. ;)

18. T2Bruno

Media:
    That you would prefer to have your foreskin is a valid argument ... dragging evolution into this with false precepts is not. Such arguments, along with the 'reduced pleasure due to missing flabby skin' and 'reduced pleasure due to callous build up' are just ridiculous and weaken the overall argument.

19. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I will concede that there probably was some evolutionary advantage to having a foreskin. It provided a protective layer of skin over some pretty sensitive material. Of course, at the time that evolved, our hominid ancestors were likely walking around without any clothing. So I'm not sure the same advantage that the foreskin gave is still present now, because most people were underwear/pants/shorts/something to cover up.

It should also be pointed out that circumcision will never cause people to be born without a foreskin. If, for the next million years, every male was circumcised, a million years from now, 100% of boys will still be born with foreskins. It's coded in the DNA, and since there doesn't seem to be any great advantage of having versus not having a foreskin in terms of reproductive success, they're not just going to go away.

We can go back to a prior example to explain why. Evolution also has gone to great lengths to ensure everyone has an appendix - even though it serves absolutely no purpose to us. But the thing is it doesn't hurt our reproductive success either (well if it ruptures at an early age it does, but very few people die from appendicitis). So things that don't hurt or help your reproductive success can and do stay present for millions and millions of years.

20. joacqin

Media:
    How could you argue: "'reduced pleasure due to missing flabby skin' and 'reduced pleasure due to callous build up' are just ridiculous and weaken the overall argument." T2? Those are very sound arguments. Not only common sense supports them but there are robust science and lots of people who can witness about it. I have a mate who got circumcised due to having a too tight foreskin and he has real problems with actually climaxing when he has sex. When I was in the army there were some dudes who went around with their foreskin pulled back for an entire week so they would be able to last longer when they got home to their girlfriends. What is your argument that those arguments are stupid? They are one of the solid facts of this discussion and a thing that has often been lifted up as a pro of circumcision.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.