1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Good and Evil

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Sir Dargorn, Aug 30, 2001.

1. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Yes, but they probably don't have as much fun as we do either :)

2. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

One small caveat, Arkados: relative morality does not preclude the existence of absolute morality.

To reuse a cosmic analogy, perceptions are relative to your viewpoint. However, some things in the universe are absolute (e.g., the speed of light), and it is these fundamental constants of nature that allow us to work and study science together, rather than being separated by our viewpoints. Similarly, although morality is relative to each conscience, there are overarching truths that form a basic moral foundation for society.

3. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

4. kevlar0101 Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Mollusken, you think? :p ;)

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    No, no, no, the "speed of light" has never been a constant; how do you think refraction works? The constant c is defined as the speed of light in a vacuum. And no I don't mean in a vacuum cleaner ;)

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited September 01, 2001).]

6. Will Gems: 13/31

Veteran

[​IMG] This, you realise, is one of the oldest debates ever, and one which will never be concluded. I spent two years doing a philosophy/ethics a-level and I think that I have only touched the tip of the proverbial iceberg.
    One question; why do many of you people seem to be so black and white about this topic? A lot of you seem to think that morality is completely either teleologically based (relative - things are right/wrong because of the consequences they have and not in themselves) or deontologically based (absolute - actions are either right or wrong in themselves, whether or not they have consequences which may be good/bad). I would tend towards a middle-road view; both are relevant. There are more ethical theories than most of us will have hot dinners, and most, if not all, have their advantages and their flaws. An act utilitarian, for example, believes that what is good is what gives the most happiness (in the eyes of the hedonist Bentham who initially set out this theory, happiness=pleasure) to the greatest number of people. This may seem a good default ethical theory, but it can lead to acts which most people would say were bad i.e. in a predominantly white racist town the lynching of a black man could provide the most happiness to the most people, but the majority of people would find the idea abhorrent. It also ignores motive, personal obligations and relies upon the difficult task of determining what the ultimate consequences of any one action may be.
    Immanuel Kant based his moral decision-making process (known as the test of the Categorical Imperative) upon reason, wheras Friedrich Nietzsche based his upon the advancement of the individual's power (to put it very loosely; I expect flames from rabid Nietzsche disciples for my overly-brief summary of his extremely complex theory).
    *Pant* and thats nowhere near all of it... Basically, the point I am making is that one cannot put forth a comprehensive general ethical argument in one post without herculean patience and some reason for not writing a thesis on it instead.

7. AvaLance204 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

It is my belief (and some others') that the world was built on a scale of balance to best suit the human race. Though we like to think that doing "good" things and eliminating "evil" will create a perfect world, I believe that it will merely destroy the balance, and with it will crumble the emotion of excitement. I agree with Extremist on this point, that the world is simply based on action and consequence. If a roller coaster brings pleasure, but has the potential to break, thus killing those on it, is it evil?

An overbalance of good will eliminate excitement, bringing a state of boredom to the world. Is this debate, since bringing us pleasure, good? Is it evil? It simply is. An overbalance of evil will destroy good, thus destroying the chance of the balance being restored, forcing us to live in a world of suffering and chaos. Is that good? Is it evil?

Since school/work can enlighten us, but can also be monotonous and displeasing, good or evil? Many things can be beneficial and yet displeasing, or pleasing and non-beneficial. How do you define these things in the terms of "good" and "evil"?

In a religious point of view, "good" is bringing happiness/pleasure to others, and "evil" is bringing suffering/pain to others. Thus, the balance will not/cannot be destroyed, for ultimately, someone will be pleased and someone will suffer. The balance can be tipped, perhaps lost sight of, but it will never be destroyed.

(Did anyone enjoy that rant?)

8. Capstone Gems: 16/31

I did mention that both relative and absolute morality exist.

Nobleman... I was aware of that study. I was gambling that no one else was. ;) That's what I get. Any rate, it has yet to be conclusively demonstrated that c is actually decaying.

9. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I'm a bit confused. That study doesn't seem to prove anything about c. As BTA says, any high-school physics student knows that light gets slower in dense media without affecting c, the speed of light in vacuum, (Schnell's law or something -talk about nominative determinism!) it's about 2* 10^8 in glass. There was an article in a New Scientist or something once, which said somehting about certain Big Bang theories needing c to have been faster back at the big bang - as always, it seems there's the possiblility that a new theory will be more accurate and do away with the need for that - or the possibliity that a new theory will eventually mean kids in school will no longer be taught that c is constant.
    To get back to the morality thing, point 3 is interesting. A general kneejerk reaction among "the moral majority" is to condemn something as evil because "It's unnatural", but it's interesting to think where we'd be if we didn't do anything unnatural - raw meat, anyone?

10. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

TO WILL;
    I love that sentence. :) I hardly think You would get any flames. both because of the rules on this board. http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/faq.html (yeeha; I got to post that link) and because this is a roleplaying board. You expect many of us to remember the laws of Nietzsche? I can't even spell his name without peeking in Your Quote.

TO AVALANCE Nice points. Have You thought of allowing a concept "NEUTRALITY" into Your theory.?

TO IRONBEARD This is Exactly Why the speed of light is such a good example. The majority of mankind thinks of light as an absolute constant because they are not AWARE... even Capstone made a gamble (thanks capstone) that we wouldn't notice.It Could be, that there are other things the majority of mankind is NOT AWARE of, even though its true. (hence God's ultimate influence in good Vs. Evil debate)

This debate is a deadbeat. in another 50 post we wont agree any more than now. Perhaps a few have swayed. But not the same way.

[This message has been edited by Nobleman (edited September 02, 2001).]

11. Will Gems: 13/31

Veteran

Exactly.

12. AvaLance204 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Good point about Neutrality there, but the whole rant was basically about it (thus I didn't feel the need or the want to say the word at all...it would have been a bit redundant in my opinion). It's good to see people debating on a subject such as this, though...

13. Capstone Gems: 16/31

Dern, I've confused the issue. Nobleman, I apologize for not reading your link the first time; I made an erroneous assumption as to which study that referred to. BTA, I'm well aware that the c is the speed of light in a vacuum. :) I thought everyone else was too...

The study I was referring to was one I just heard of on NPR a few days ago. Scientists have been studying the pulses from quasars and have found that the characteristic radiation from elements such as hydrogen and sulfur are slightly off -- all by the same amount. These are only preliminary results however; considerably more evidence must be produced to convince scientists that c has decayed over time.

Note that this does not fit perfectly with the Big Bang theory, as it predicts a much larger change in c. Scientists are still puzzled as to what might be causing this small change and what implications that has on Einsteinian physics.

As I mentioned before, the implications are rather large, but it is hardly conclusive yet.

14. Will Gems: 13/31

Veteran

[​IMG] Yowwwwwch; physics causes my head pain! Cheers for the mental workout folks :)

15. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

TO AVALANCE I try to be redundant in my posts. Just to make sure.

To Capstone Interesting. I am sometimes frustrated that I can't understand all interesting scientific news. Physics is a bit out of my reach. Does this mean that the big bang was different in any way? Perhaps God is teasing us.. :D Even God may pull some humor sometimes..

Anyway. So our conclusion on this thread is not to conclude anything? Very cool.

[This message has been edited by Nobleman (edited September 04, 2001).]

16. Capstone Gems: 16/31

Not the conclusion of this thread, exactly, since we're rather far off topic at this point. :) To be honest, I've always been a bit skeptical of the Big Bang theory. The question they haven't answered is what was going on before Planck time (when the Big Bang happened) and what caused the existence of the original supercritical point of mass-energy. Admittedly, however, it's been awhile for me on all these cosmological topics; I need to refresh. *sigh* I'm sure BTA could add some information on this. Maybe I'll get inspired enough to research it again. As I'm working two jobs now though, probably won't happen soon.

17. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

That is why I tought we hade concluded. Because we had drifted away. Anyway I know nothing out of the ordinary about the big bang so I hope BTA will pop by.

18. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Who me? I am certainly no expert on cosmology, but there are explanations for what happened before the Big Bang. AFAIK, there are no well accepted theories, and this is for the simple reason that we cannot yet probe such high energies in the laboratory, so there is no experimental validation of the theories' predictions. My favorite is that there was nothing in the "true" vacuum and that random quantum fluctuations created all this; I remember reading somewhere that nothingness is unstable :)

I read an interesting SF novel that Gregory Benford wrote shortly before RHIC (the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider) was completed called Cosm. In this novel, when they fired up RHIC for the first time, the scientists unexpectedly created their own universe that was the size of a small sphere. A very interesting read, especially since it was "hard" science fiction (meaning it is well grounded in scientific theory).

19. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Very interesting (about the SF novel Blackthorne mentioned). I never heard of it before, but I read Science of Discworld which is all about a very similar concept - only that it's wrapped in a fantasy background by Terry Pratchett. (The scientific bits weren't written by him, don't worry ;) ).

In this instance the Discworld's wizards create their own little world by magic, and surprise, surprise, it's globe-shaped, in contrast to Discworld which is flat. You can imagine the ensuing debates about the validity of such a silly world by the wizards of Discworld...

Anyway, the book is really all about Earth and how it came to be even if it doesn't seem so at the beginning (and is mostly cleverly masked by the background story) and I recommend it to everyone willing to expand their horizons.

20. Capstone Gems: 16/31

BTA, what would be randomly fluctuating in a vacuum?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.