1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

GOP heckles Obama as a "Liar" before congress

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Death Rabbit, Sep 10, 2009.

1. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    People who answer polls are either bored, can't find an excuse to get out of it, or don't understand they can tell the pollster "no, thank-you." These are the same people who listen to the entire telemarketers rehearsed speech and may even buy something. Not the cream of the crop.

Yeah, Drew -- their on both sides of the spectrum and they vote. I've often felt there should be some kind of "I have a f***in' clue about the issues" test before allowing voter registration.

2. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Actually, the more I think about it, the less certain I am it was Discovery that aired it. I may have been thinking of Discovery because of their airing of Popular Mechanics 'debunking' (of which only the burning temperature was even halfway good) of Truther claims. They seem to air it at least anually. I haven't seen this other one since I first saw it years ago. It was basically "Here's every claim the critics and doubters of 9/11 have made, with no critical analysis at all".

As for CNN, that's when I stopped watching. I went back to reading a year ago here and there, but still not much.

DR, I did a quick google search and came up with everything from only 22% believe the Birther claims (still too many), to only 28% believe Obama was born in the US, and one even saying more independants are birthers than Republicans.

LMAO! You do not want me trying that. Were you in the gun violence debate Chandos and I had, where I asked for statistics? The graph I provided (simple graph) as an example took me over an hour to find. I have terrible search skills. Still, I'll make an effort.

3. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

That's still a massive number, NOG. Assuming about 40% of registered voters are Republicans, and we take the most conservative poll there of 22%, that's still 50,000,000ish people who believe that Obama was not born in the states. A scary number - and a number I very much doubt those who follow the idea that Bush caused 9/11 came anywhere near at their peak.

This is an amusing line. "I'm going to ask you for proof, but don't expect the same levels back from me." Doesn't that strike you as one sided?

4. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

:confused:
    .4 x .22 = .088
    .088 x 300,000,000 (approximate population of US, not just voters) = 26,400,000, not 50,000,000.

According to Wikipedia's estimates (which I will assume are quite approximate), the total number of 215,000,000 people of voting age (during the 2008 presidential election), we get .088 x 215,000,000 to be 18,920,000.

Those aren't even close to 50 million. That being said, 26 or 19 million people is still quite a few people believing crazy things.

5. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Yeah, my maths sucks. Still a huge number - that's like 5 times the size of new zealand.

6. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    Actually, I've heard roughly 1/3 of Americans believe Bush/his officials either directly caused or allowed 9/11 to happen. That's even more.

And yes, I do believe roughtly 1/3 of Americans are retarted in one fashion or another.

7. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    1/3 of Americans believe Bush planned and carried out 9/11.
    1/3 of Americans believe Bush knew about the attacks in advance but didn't do anything
    1/3 of Americans believe Bush knew nothing about the attacks in advance.
    1/3 of Americans have no opinion on the matter.

100% percent of Americans do not believe pollsters have ever taken a math class.

Blades of Vanatar likes this.
  8. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    Hey, I said I believed 1/3 of Americans were retarded in one way or another. Guess which third the pollsters belong to. :D

9. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
    The Great Snook likes this.
  10. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    BTA, that was awesome. Mucho rep.

11. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    :D I guess Obama doesn't like Beyonce... ;)

I thought it was a pretty hilarious combination of the two rude interruptions recently.

12. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Sorry, I don't know who any of these people are (but then, I don't know who the other idiot was either until he made a fool of himself at Obama's speech). Should I care about them? :)

13. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The other night at the MTV Video Music Awards (curious they still have them at all, since, of course, MTV no longer plays music) Kanye West got up onstage during Taylor Swift's acceptance speech for Best Female Video, took the microphone and declared that Beyonce should have won, to which he received a round of boos. BTA's clip dubs the audio from that over the Wilson footage.

14. Chandos the Red

Media:
    OK, I get it now. Thanks. I didn't know MTV still had the awards either. You never hear much about them any longer.

15. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Yeah, I had seen footage of Kanye's rude interruption of Taylor Swift, then yesterday morning I heard on the radio about this Youtube video combining it with Joe's rude interruption of Obama. Thought it'd give people a chuckle. It sure did for me :)

16. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Chandos, Mr. West strolled down the red carpet upon his arrival, drinking from a bottle of Cognac. Drunken idiot! Personally, since West did Leno's show the next night, giving his lame-a$$ excuse for his actions, I think it was staged, just for publicity for the MTV awards, as they are sinking. He must of got a check for that one. The "Any publicity is good publicity" motto in Hollywood is getting a little ridiculous.

17. Chandos the Red

Media:
    I've still never heard of Mr West. Is he a singer/producer? or a rapper?

Ain't that the truth...and not just in Hollywood. Look what it's done for Wilson.

18. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    As I understand it Kanye's all of the above, and an arrogant bastard too :) I recall a few years ago he got up on stage in a similar way to say he should have won some award... it might have been some MTV thing too. So, I wouldn't be surprised if it was staged...

19. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I think he is a singer/producer. Knucklehead would be the best description though.:D

20. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    For the pop-culture challenged among us: Kanye West is the second most popular hip-hop artist in pop music right now (Jay-Z is number one). I have several of his records, and they're actually pretty good (if you like non-gangsta, non-"b*tches and hos" hip-hop). He is very inventive and talented, but his reputation for being a comically-arrogant horse's ass is quickly eclipsing his music. Aside from making an ass of himself at awards shows (this is the third, I believe) he's also notorious for declaring, on live TV, during a celebrity-studded "pitch in" effort for Hurricane Katrina, that "George Bush does not care about black people." Surprised you don't know who he is from that alone, Chandos. And Blades, I don't think this was a pre-determined stunt. He's really that big of an ass.

This lesson in pop culture is dreadfully off-topic, however.

On topic: there's an ad in the lower right corner of this page (on my screen, anyway) that states: "JOE WILSON IS UNDER ATTACK. CLICK HERE. YOU CAN HELP. Paid for by Joe Wilson for Congress." *sigh* What have I done? ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.