1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

GOP heckles Obama as a "Liar" before congress

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Death Rabbit, Sep 10, 2009.

1. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Either that, or he just has no real sense of beautiful women. I mean, he married Hillary in the first place, right? Hillary, then Monica, may point to a pattern of taste...

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    This is correct - most people incorrectly believe that getting impeached means your removed from office - it does not. Impeachment means there is enough evidence for the elected official to be tried by Congress. If believe a 2/3 majority vote in the Senate is required for you to be found guilty and then you get booted out of office.

Well, Monica was like 23 or something at the time, and Bill was about 50. If you are getting head from someone young enough to be your daughter, you're willing to lower your standards perhaps.

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You are in more dire need of a blowjob than any white man in history.

-- Adrian Cronauer (Robin Williams), Good Morning Vietnam

4. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    At least they are women, which is more than can be said for a few other politicians.

5. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    OK already with the off-topic critique of Clinton's taste in women . . . .

6. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    In one of the greatest feats of necromancy in board history I bring you this. I know we all had to criticize Wilson at the time for what he did was in bad taste, although seriously, I think we all knew that he was correct.

“You lie!” Republican Rep. Joe Wilson famously shouted at President Obama during a 2009 televised presidential address to a joint session of Congress.

The outburst, prompted by Obama pledging his health care reform bill would not benefit illegal immigrants, provoked outrage from liberals, not to mention a steely death-glare from then-House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

But now Wilson says time has proved him right.

In an appearance on Fox News’ America Live on Wednesday, Wilson said a recent award of $28 million to community health care centers around the country will no doubt benefit illegal immigrants, despite Obama’s pledge.

Department of Health and Human Services spokesmen have confirmed $8.5 million of the grant will go to centers serving migrant and seasonal farm workers, saying patients will not be asked about immigration status. The centers will offer primary care to all residents who come in.

“It is clearly providing money that should be going to American citizens to illegal immigrants,” Wilson said. “It’s even worse than I thought. They won’t even ask for status.”

On his campaign website, Wilson wrote: “It is inevitable that they will serve illegal aliens. The president specifically promised the American people that ‘Obamacare’ would not cover those who are here illegally. He misled all of us.”

The Department of Health and Human Services shot back, saying the patients still must pay for care.

“By statute, health centers are required to provide primary health care to all residents of the health center’s service area without regard for ability to pay,” spokesman Chris Stenrud wrote in an email to Fox. “However, health centers do not provide free care. All health center patients are expected to contribute to the cost of their care.”

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2011/08/17/joe-wilson-says-you-lie-has-been-justified/#ixzz1VOLXTgvm

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Help me out here. What does the Department of Health donating money to primary care centers have to do with Obamacare? I thought the Obamacare bill focused on healthcare insurance reform. Are you saying another purpose of the bill was to set up primary care centers across the country?

8. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    No idea. I'm guessing this falls under Nancy Pelosi's quote of "We have to pass the bill to find out what is in it". Way to go Nancy.

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    The reason I ask is that the Department of Health and Human Services was in existence long before Obama became president, and it would not be surprising if such a Department regularly gave out grants to set up primary care centers. So I seriously doubt this is the first time the DHHS shelled out $8.5 million to fund something like this. My question is how does it tie back to the healthcare reform law (refered to as Obamacare) that was passed last year?

10. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The implication is the "recent award of $28 million to community health care centers around the country" came from that law. No idea if that's true or not.

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    It does, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's anything new. The DHHS may do that every year, and their funding for this year came from that law. I also think that it's splitting hairs a bit. In a program with a price tag in the many billions, we're arguing about where $28 million is going? Really?

12. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I don't think we're arguing. Obama said in his speech that the law would not benefit illegals. Wilson said that was a lie. Seems Wison was right. *shrug* I doubt anyone is surprised.

13. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I think the issue was not if Wilson was right or not I think the issue was his general conduct in congress while the president gave a speech. If his statement was true or not bears little significance. I also give Obama the benefit of doubt that he did not calculate that in such a huge bill there were money that more or less indirectly went to illegal immigrants. If it was a lie it most certainly was less significant than the ones about WMD:s in Iraq.

14. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Context is everything. Obama was clearly stating that the Health Care Reform Bill was not going to insure illegal immigrants. Unless someone changed the meaning of "Healthcare Center" when I wasn't looking, it would appear that Obama was not lying at all -- and that some conservatives that still have sour grapes about that little fracas are now attempting to revise history. :rolleyes:

Come on guys, the debate was only a few years ago -- it wasn't so long ago that you shouldn't be able remember what it was actually about. We weren't arguing about whether or not a few health clinics would ask for their patients' immigration status before treating them -- we were arguing about "death panels," whether or not federally subsidized insurance would be sold to illegal immigrants, whether federal funds would be used to fund abortion, and a whole bunch of other inane nonsense that was never going to happen anyway.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  15. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    No really. But if you want to convince yourself of that, go right ahead. I thought Wilson was a complete ass for what he did. He didn't know what he was talking about back then and he still doesn't.

16. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Did we, on both counts? The claim that Obama wanted to counter is that illegal immigrants would be insured - you can check the clips - and as far as I am aware he was right on that. What seems to be the problem is that he continued that the reforms he is proposing would not apply to those in the US illegally, which is when Mr. Wilson shouted. Mr. Wilson claims that since illegal immigrants could benefit from a program mentioned in the bill, that proves him right. I think it stretches things more than a bit, but technically, it is possible. Then again, speaking of technicalities and gotchas, Mr. Obama can definitely claim he was speaking of issues he personally proposed, and he personally had no participation in the writing of the matter of health center safeguards, and I imagine he'd be right. Overall, the matter is a molehill people are trying to make a mountain of, for partisan purposes.

So, is it possible that money from projects under the health bill could benefit illegal migrants - I assume so. Heck, in a big enough system, it is practically guaranteed that some funds do not end where planned or oversights are made and have to be corrected. As far as I could understand, there is a pilot program to test or widen the application of such centers, and there is no particular mention about the legal status of people who may use their services. I suppose that in such cases, this would leave the issue to lower-ranking administrators in the NHS to clarify or for the centers in question.

Now, I'm not sure if such community health centers existed before 2009, but if they did, they probably got federal funding. Mr. Wilson could just point where the bill details these centers and confirms who they should or shouldn't treat. Sorry, the "They passed it before we could read it" statement was probably not truthful to begin with(for the people who actually tried to get the drafts) but it certainly isn't valid now. The bill's been public for what, a year?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.