1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Greed

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Felinoid, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Human beings are communal creatures. We gather in tribes, raise families, and largely have monogamous relationships. If there is a biological basis for greed (to oversimplify, a "greed gene"), then I think the miser would have poor relations with the rest of the community (perhaps being an outcast) and be largley unable to pass on his genes.

So I pretty say that sharing has been essential to the survival of the species. Remember in nature, survival of the fittest is not "looking out for yourself, screw everyone else," it is more like "look out for yourself and people genetically similar to you (i.e. your family and tribe)."

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hey, I figured if the spelling was good enough for Norton....

You're using slightly flawed arguments. Describe the taste of salt without using the term salt. Can't be done. I can come up with useless items to throw in an argument, too. Your examples of love and hate are quite ridiculous (especially since they are defined by six to eight words). Simple concepts don't really take that many words to define. Excessive desire fits greed perfectly. Face it, you just didn't think about all the ramifications of your statement and when you used a personal, vice well accepted, definition of greed.

3. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

@T2B:
    :lol: Well, I was 14 at the time. And for the record, my teacher bought it hook, line, and sinker. :happy:

Some of you people just don't understand the value of a good line of bull****. :shake:

4. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I guess WE were chasing OUR tails this time.

5. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Re: greed - I'm young, but I remember the 1980s and the entrepreneurs who lived by the maxim "Greed is good" well enough. I also remember how many people's lives were ruined by it and them. A desire to succeed is probably a good thing. A desire to succeed at all costs is not.

Rally's comment about the Seven Deadly Sins is spot on - they all have an element of virtue in them, which is what makes them so dangerous.

Again, I'd dispute that. Ambition is about a desire for something - there is no inherent moral element to it as a concept, only in its application and the methods used to achieve it. However, this is well-trodden ground and both of us are agreed that ambition is necessary for humankind (although I think it's seldom as altruistic as you seem to be suggesting).

6. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Did the cave man freezing in the ice age need fire? Bet that you and I wouldn't be here today if someone hadn't taken some back to cave with him. If that is greed I'm all in favor of it but I don't think it is. Just common sense.

7. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Wonderfully said. If common sense (and perhaps a little intelligence (heat=good)) is greed, then by all means, greed is good. But it is not. It is, as the dictionary definiton says: excessive desire (and usually in regards to wealth).

8. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Holy ****! Although, if I keep running my mouth, everyone will find something to agree with...

That sounds more like what I was trying to say...

Nakia: I believe Greed begins where need ends. The Caveman needed fire, and he needed some meat to eat. Greed looks to excess of what you need. It goes back to what Rally said about the seven deadly sins. They are taking a need to the excess. You need money to get what you need to live, but greed is wanting too much money. You need to eat, but eating too much is gluttony. The same with rest and Sloth, or natural sex drive and lust.

9. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Saber put it well. Greed is disgusting. Capitalism is based on greed and hence the problems we are facing (not like we wouldn't face different kinds of problems in a different configuration). I don't believe the society has any duty to uphold the greedy people's desires, which equally includes corporate sharks and repartitioners of worldly goods. It's a normal thing that people want comfort, even luxury. Want a secure future and something to leave to children. It's normal that they want their businesses to prosper. But it's not a healthy desire to have more than your neighbour or to prevent people from rising to your financial level or repeating your success.

10. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Going along with what was said before about people being communal creatures, my definition of greed includes at its base the garnering resources that you do not really need at the expense of the needs of others in the group. Looking at it that way, greed would never be good for humanity as a whole because at its heart it involves damaging other humans.

11. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Gnarf:
    I must disagree, but only with the last part of your post. There is a space between need and greed where the fulfilment of desire causes no detrimental consequences. The cavemen dind't need fire, they had lived without it before, but using it didn't hurt anyone, so go ahead.

12. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

NOG: So you suggest that there is a gap between need, and greed? That gap would likely be rightful desire. You do have a point.

Chev: You are right. I had labeled it as Pride. Pride involves being better than someone else. I guess that Greed is the emotional demand to have more than someone else.

LKD: I guess that's also part of it. Wanting more than you need or can enjoy, while not necessarily good, is not as bad as wanting it at the expense of those that need it or could enjoy it more than you...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.