1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Guess what, another school shooting

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Iku-Turso, Sep 23, 2008.

1. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Usually when thinking of europe over here we think of UK,Germany, Spain, Italy, Ireland, Portugal, Switzerland, Netherlands, Belgium, Finland, Norway, Denmark & Austria.

As for Eastern Europe, the countries of Belarus, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Hungary, Moldova, Poland, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, Ukraine, Croatia & Georgia come to mind.

Hope that clears things up

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  2. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I know what force of habit means, but considering the Cold War came to an end about two decades ago and there is no more Eastern Block and Western Block in the world, I suggest to update those definitions. :) I mean, it isn't really correct towards the nations of those many Europeans countries that are simply missing from your "Europe" list. Not because of political correctness or definitions, rather because of simple common sense: a few countries your list simply excludes from Europe have more than 1000 year-long European history (e.g. Hungary), they were estabilished European kingdoms hundreds of years before countries such as Switzerland existed at all. These countries played an important role in the history of the Christian Europe for hundreds of years, so in no way I can imagine how they can't be considered "Europe". But enough of my post, it's off-topic. Was just merely a suggestion (I don't mind if I'm not considered to be an European, if Tal also doesn't mind you don't consider him an European :p).

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  4. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Just where did you think i got the lists from tal? The Wikipedia

It has the UN listing them as :

Eastern Europe, Northern and Central Asia Division: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bulgaria, Russian Federation, Ukraine and three countries of Central Asia.

East Central and South-East Europe Division: Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Greece, Hungary, Poland, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Republic of Macedonia, Turkey, Ukraine.

Romano-Hellenic Division: Fourteen countries including Belgium, Cyprus, France, Greece, Holy See, Italy, Luxembourg, Monaco, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland,Romania, Moldova and Turkey.

Baltic Division: Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania

The CIA World Factbook describes the following countries as located in:

Central Europe: Austria, Czech Republic, Germany, Hungary, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia

Eastern Europe: Belarus, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Moldova and Ukraine

Southeastern Europe: Albania, Bulgaria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Kosovo, Republic of Macedonia, Romania, Montenegro, Serbia and part of Turkey

Russia is defined as a transcontinental country.

Is there any wonder that those from other parts of the world arent quiet sure what country is considered what.

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Which is exactly why I wrote to use the EU list instead...

6. Baronius

I agree that the EU list is a good base for that. About the regions:

The Western Europe / Eastern Europe classification can still be seen often (even though it's incorrect), but what I actually found strange is the "Europe" vs. "Eastern Europe" in martaug's post... simply incorrect in every possible sense.

On a side note, the CIA factbook is good in this respect (i.e. regions of Europe) as far as I can see. Because if you ask any Hungarian, Slovak, Czech or Austrian about where their country is, they will usually answer "Central Europe" and not "Eastern Europe".

To remain on-topic:

The suicide rate is quite high in Eastern Europe (and in some Central European countries too); no school schootings, only the end of it (suicide) :(

7. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Cyprus isn't even in Europe, it's is part of Asia :p the contry just happends to be part of EU -

8. Baronius

And Switzerland isn't in European Union, but still that EU list is more closer to the reality than martaug's weird classification :)

9. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Yes, well, the US isn't in the EU, and truth be told, the formation of the EU hasn't really been felt here much. I mean, sure we recognize it and all, but the Eastern Europe vs Western Europe mentality was grilled into an entire generation with the tip of an ICBM. It'll take a while to die, and until the EU does something equally drastic (and I pray to God that never happens), don't expect anything to change too quickly.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.