1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Help! I'm stuck in the Twisted Rune room...

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by spoogemonkey, May 27, 2003.

1. Bassilus Banned

Or CLUAconsole. Or cheating. Or any of the other cheap tactics suggested in this topic. :D

Seriously, no wonder nobody can believe I've taken him down at my level without cheesy tactics, when everything around here revolves around gorging over that Jaheira skank and using cheap tactics...

2. spoogemonkey Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] Look, guys - I've been beaten 12 times and I have yet to even be competitive.

I have 3 dozen magic items easy... maybe more...

I have beaten the Red Dragon and Kangaxx...

I have Minsc with Lilacor
    Keldorn with the +5 sword
    Nalia w/Daystar
    Aerie
    Mazzy Giant str, Flail of Ages+3
    Me - Cleric - Mace of Disruption +2(AC-11)

but no scrolls.... as I was not prepared... my Cleric CAN cast Neg plane Prot x2...

The party is certainly capable... but this bunch is too many and too much... for now... but I will come back and get them later...

Now, if the Brain Trust here can devise a scheme (without cheats, loaded-in weapons, etc.) I'm listening...

3. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Seems to me that if you can get through Shangalar, the rest is a matter of mopping up. (It would, of course, help if you have that shield that reflects beholder rays.)

Towards that end, I'd have you up front in the entry chamber with Keldorn and Minsc both negative plane protected. The key is to send someone else in to trigger Shangalar's appearance, as that person can then turn around and run back in while the well-prepared trio stands to whack Shangalar as soon as he teleports in. (It would help if you gave that person a potion of invisibility to quaff immediately upon the lights starting.) So long as you get in a shot with the mace before he raises his defenses, you've got a chance for instant "lights out" and a leisurely mop up. The more that I think of it, why don't you give the mace of disruption to Minsc, as he is specialized in maces and, I'm sure, has a better THAC0 than your cleric?

You can also have Nalia up close with Daystar, ready to trigger its Sunray, which may help, although my recollection is that your only real hope is the Mace of Disruption, because the defenses are scripted and cannot be interrupted, only beaten to the punch.

For the balance of the fight, I'd recommend anti-fear spells, protection from evil 10', etc.

Again, once Shangalar's gone, the rest is (relatively) easy. You can do it with this party.

4. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I agree with dmc.

You can trigger the fight and take out the lich first and only the lich. Then, if need be, you can later rest and take on the rest; unrealistic and cheesy maybe but it beats the hell out of a killsword imo.

The nice thing is, you have Keldorn. With his dispel magics, truesight, and Carsomyr he can beat Shangalar by himself if necessary. Every time Shangalar throws up spell protections like Stoneskin and P. from M. Weapons use Keldorn's Dispel Magic (it isn't supposed to work on these spells but it will take out stoneskins and it takes out P from Magic Weapons in my game at least.) You may want a breach magic on your other characters too just in case to take out the protections. Combine Keldorn with mace of disruption on Minsc and things like haste, death ward, P. from evil etc they can take out the lich.

Before triggering the fight though, I would move your cleric up to the front without triggering Shangalar. You can cast a grouping of glyph of wardings to where the Beholder will appear 11d4 damage per ward right? Does Aerie have skull traps? Toss them in there with the Glyphs and the Beholder may well die upon appearing. Then, when they're set, move the rest of your characters back toward the door area and send out one guy to trigger Shangalar. You can deal with him while the Beholder dies (hopefully) and the other monsters sit around.

Once Shangalar is gone - buff up again with things like Aid, Chant, P from Evil, haste, Imp. Invis, Defensive Harmony, etc. Since your cleric has the lowest armor class I'd use chaotic commands and Neg. Plane Prot on him and send him right to tank the vampire and keep it occupied while Keldorn and Minsc charge in to take out the Beholder ASAP if it isn't already gone. You may want to cast things like Animate Dead (even though you're not level 15 yet) or other summons and try to get the Beholder to focus on them first since it won't use its gaze attack on them.

If the Beholder is gone, I'd send Keldorn straight for the mage casting dispel magic first while you're far enough away to dispel her protections but not your own. After her protections are dispelled he can charge in and take her out. She'll cast meteor swarm and Gate so another way to approach it is to just move in, she'll Gate in a demon, and then you can retreat a bit and the demon will kill her.

Either way, you can then focus on the vampire the cleric has been tying up. Aerie, Mazzy, and Nalia of course are hanging out at the entrance to the large room during this casting damage spells like flame arrow, Melfs Minute meteors etc. Greater Malison would be wonderful if you have it -- cast some of those with an undead spell like Sol's Orb or Sunray and you're in good shape. Lower Resistance would be nice too.

Your cleric at 11 can cast one level 6 spell and I'd think either fire elemental AFTER shangalar is taken care of or blade barrier while you're dealing with the vampire (or right before you charge actually) would be good moves.
    I really think that you can win this fight. I'm not trying to be arrogant or bossy - but you can win this fight. Just need to try some different tactics -- it'll beat the hell out of cheating or starting over when you do it. Let us know when you beat them, you will, or if any of the ideas don't help.

5. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

@TH1wl the mage that summons the Fiend also carries staff of the magi (permenent prot. from evil)
    I was sure that there was an Auto save before entering the twisted Rune. Or was that a quick save?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.