1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Help: The best there is right now=?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Bahir the Red, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Considering he's in Sweden, forget any American online stores.

2. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

@ Rastor

That is better only because the prices in US are generally cheaper than in Europe (drastically, in some cases). The prices I displayed are from www.mbnet.fi and Finland having similar taxes with Sweden, I bet that is the machine he would get with that amount of money. ;)

I still say Mandrake is better, if only because it's based on that (full-fledged) comparison and not some single user-experience. As to the Windows, I agree that Win2k is the best of them, but having 64-processor also requires 64-bit OS to take full advantage of it. Sadly, this means WinXP 64-bit edition.

TFT vs. LCD, and again all reviews point towards TFTs. Besides, who would want to have a ugly, bulky monitor when he could have a sleek, modern one that also saves your eyes? :D

3. BigStick Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Considering that you are not computer savy, I'd choose the easiest way to purchase your next system. Go to several local retail stores and find out what is available. Then buy one.

You will have to get some education about the current technology to determine what you need from the PC, depending on what you're planning to do with it. It sounds like it's a family PC that you use for gaming some too.

Talk to the salespeople, odds are that you may find one who not only knows what (s)he's talking about, but is willing to be honest and helpful. Ask questions of all of them about what they recommend. You'll get a lot of the same answers that you see here, but the more input you get, the better informed you'll be.

4. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    This is a pretty good list of parts, but there are a few things I would change:

Right now AMD, with the 64, holds the cards, and best technology. I would not change that. Intel has to play catch up.

I would scrap the 9600XT since it is already aging technology, soon to be replaced by ATI. Look for something newer. The nVidia 6600GT blows the doors off the 9600. Besides, why put a second rate 3D card on an Athlon 64 anyway?

Also, as Rastor says Western Digital makes pretty good drives, but for a few bucks more, go with at least 120GB. You can never have too much HD space. Remember you kept your last computer for 8 years. With your new computer you may want to install a lot of MP3s and do some video editing. Also, scrap Win 2000. I have to work on that worthless piece of OS everyday at work and hate it, hate it, hate it. Go for XP Pro instead - it's the future...not your father's Windows...

5. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

XFX GeForce 6800 Ultra 256MB
    GeIL 1GB
    AMD Athlon FX53

Them 3 ownage parts alone will cost you around 18000 SEK. Probably more in Sweden because of your 25% vat. It would be a very good PC! :wave:

6. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

There's 7.38 Korona per USD, so I'll convert at the end of this and add a bit for market seperation.

Full tower case $55
    3 80mm case fans $12
    60gig Hitachi harddisk $60
    Liteon 16x DVD reader $35
    Liteon 8x DVD writer $65
    512MB of Samsung PC3200 $75
    Athlon XP 2600 $68
    Biostar M7NCD Nforce2 mainboard $46
    IDE cables $8
    Heatsink $15
    Onboard sound $0
    Onboard ethernet $0
    Plastic spacers and screws $5
    400w ATX powersupply $35
    Viewsonic 17" 70khz monitor $108
    Radeon 9600pro $110
    -------------------------------------
    $697 USD
    $5143 SEK

Those numbers don't include shipping and handling (or tax!), but are slightly liberal; I didn't pick the lowest prices I found.

Add 10% for the market, and you pull $5660. Try to put together a mid-level system like this for around $5700, in your part of the World. Technically, you can do without the DVD writer; but you'd absolutely want something to "write on". A cd burner or a USB NVRAM "keychain" would do. You can resort to a floppy disk, but the drives cost $20 USD over here and a cd burner can be found for $25 USD (including shipping and handling). A system comparable to this will play Unreal Tournament 2004 and Doom 3, as well as Temple of Elemental Evil and Dragon Age (when it comes out). The Hitachi drives made these days are just fine, but if you're still scarred by the 75gxp/deathstar thing, get whatever you want; you won't find a drive comparable in both price and performance, but if it helps you play the game, play the game. Same thing with the Radeon, but you'll have to move up to a Geforce 5700 (which costs more) to match that 9600pro. And with the monitor, get whatever you want; 70khz will let you do 1024x768@75hz, which should keep you headache free.

[edit: Oh. Thermal paste. Usually there's a tube of silicon that comes with the heatsink, but if not just add $30 SEK and buy some generic "Arctic Silver".]

7. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Gah, I looked closer at the special offers Dell has. One of them costed about 7000-8000 SEK, and it had a picture of a compter with a flatscreen next to it. I pressed "configurate" and found that the flat screen wasnt in the offer. Furthermore, I found that a number of other vital components werent either in the offer. The price actualy more than doubled after I marked the components I needed. Bastards...

8. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

That's a fair decent computer I built, above. I didn't include a mouse or keyboard, but I figured you can cannibalize those from your old computer. You can get new ones, if that's what you want. Surely you can piece together something close to it, even in Sweden.

Order a "barebones" system, if you can.

9. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

This is one offer (customized by me) from Dell:

Service
    =======
    3 years on the spot-service,

Processor
    =========
    Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 520 med HT teknologi (2.80GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB cache)

Memory
    ============================
    Special offer(otherwise half) : 1024MB Dual Channel DDR2 400MHz [2x512]

Harddrive
    ========
    160GB Hårddisk SATA (7200RPM) m. 8MB DataBurst™

Graphiccard
    ==========
    New: 256MB PCI Express™ nVidia Geforce 6800 GTO med DVI (+ SEK 3 000 kr)

2. Monitor (this offer might actualy include 2 monitors)
    ============
    Dell M993 19" (18.0 VIS) UltraScan™ CRT-monitor (+ SEK 2 613 kr)

Optical unit
    ============
    48x/32x/48x/16x CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo-enhet

Speekers
    =========
    Dell Stereo högtalare (+ SEK 425 kr)

Soundcard
    ========
    Integreted soundcard

Dell Picture Studio
    ===================
    Dell Picture Studio Standard Edition

Keyboard
    ===========
    Dell QuietKey tangentbord, standard PS/2

Mouse
    ===
    Dell USB mus med scroll wheel, optisk (+ SEK 163 kr)

Software
    ========
    Microsoft® Works 7.0

Språk på operativsystem och mjukvara
    ====================================
    Svenska

Installationstjänster
    =====================
    Privat installation av din nya Dell dator + Internetuppkoppling (+ SEK 1 999 kr)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

System
    ======
    Pris exkl.moms : 14 066 kr
    momssats : 25%
    Pris inkl.moms : 17 583 kr

Frakt
    =====
    Pris exkl.moms : 675 kr
    momssats : 25%
    Pris inkl.moms : 844 kr

===============================================================

Summa exkl.moms : 14 741 kr
    Summa inkl.moms : 18 426 kr

Expensive: YES! Good: I have no idea :confused:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.