1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Here's something I don't like Bush for...

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Hacken Slash, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Err, what? :confused:

The only way Bush got involved was to say that he would veto legislation thwarting a deal that went through the process that Congress legislated.

And what convoluted explanations? CFIUS followed the process as legislated, so there really was no reason to deny the transaction.

2. Cernak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Yes, quite correct BTA. Bush was not involved as five of our major ports were leased to a foreign power. Didn't know a thing about it until the deal was done. Then supported it completely and without reservations. And without pause for thought, either. Correct too that all the "i's" were dotted and all the "t's" were crossed. Nothing illegal here. But I still think there's room for a minor quibble.

First, let me say that I haven't bothered to read any of the explanations/justifications for this deal because I think they ignore the basic point and are therefore just so much crap.

Secondly, like most Americans, I was not aware that a British company had been running these ports until this current deal was struck. Had I known, I would not have approved of it. But it's more than a little naive--to put the kindest face on it--to argue that "Dubai is just another foreign company.", as I'm sure is being done. The same can be said about the easy, sunny optimism about security concerns.

Great Britain has been our ally for about a century now, and our relationship has always been close, in one way or another. And while I don't like it that they've been operating major U.S. ports, they are more or less family. Common background, culture, and so forth. They even speak the same language.

The same cannot be said for Dubai. Different culture, different background, different language, located in a part of the world where our popularity varies from uncertain to verminous. Where radical sects hating us abound and have wide influence. It has been reported, with what truth I don't know, that members of the Dubai royal family have met recently with the leaders of Al Quida. If so, these people should have nothing to do with the operation of our ports. (I hope there will be no silly posts that members of the Dubai royal family could hardly influence the operations of a completely separate Dubai company.) The fact that Dubai is vulnerable to terrorist infiltration is really sufficient here.

Security. It is naive to believe that people on the inside, as Dubai would be, could not breach security if they desired to do so. Not that security is all that great to start with. Only 5% of the cargo containers arriving in this country are currently inspected. How hard would it be, if you were unfriendly, and running the port, to arrange that your particular container(s) was not inspected?

If a nation wishes to be secure, it should run its ports itself, and conduct proper inspection of what comes in. To argue that this agreement is "legal" is to miss the point. Yes, it's "legal"; and the Titanic was "unsinkable". Give me a break. This goes beyond mere negligence.

Question: Who lives in a fool's paradise?

[ March 02, 2006, 07:11: Message edited by: Cernak ]

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm not sure why I'm bothering since you've made up your mind without knowing a single thing either about this transaction or foreign investment in the US, but for the benefit of others I'll respond.

You would be wrong here. The US encourages foreign investment. That is a fact and if you don't understand that, you are ignoring the basic point.

Once again you're wrong. Nobody is arguing that Dubai is just another foreign company. Congress has passed legislation that governs how transactions with foreign companies are to be handled with respect to national security, and the Committee on Foreign Investments in the United States (CFIUS) was created to deal with that legislation. CFIUS includes the following membership: Secretary of the Treasury, Secretary of State, Secretary of Defense, Secretary of Commerce, the Attorney General, Director of the Office of Management and Budget, the U.S. Trade Representative, the Chairman of the Council of Economic Advisers, the Director of the Office of Science and Technology Policy, the Assistant to the President for National Security Affairs, the Assistant to the President for Economic Policy and the Department of Homeland Security. I think it is a little naive to think that you know more about national security and how it pertains to this transaction than this committee.

Once again, you are incorrect here. Regardless of whether the DPW transaction is approved, we will be getting commerce from DPW into our country. What is important is the security of this commerce prior to it reaching our shores.

I have already explained above that this number is misleading because 100% of containers are screened for risk (the process of which is classified for obvious reasons) , and only the high risk containers are physically inspected either through imaging or actually opened. Again, I think it is naive to think that you know more about national security and the implication of this transaction than the members of CFIUS. As I have also explained, Dubai has voluntarily joined an initiative against terrorism whereby US Customs people are in-country doing inspections on high-risk containers.

And once again you are incorrect. Since the transaction is legal, and CFIUS has done its job according to the law, there are no grounds for denying the transaction of DPW buying the assets of P&O.

4. Cernak Gems: 12/31

With all respect, Blackthorne, I completely disagree with you, nor do I believe you've refuted any of my arguments. Your refutation is essentially legalistic. The deal being, apparently, legal--as I conceded--your arguments are unanswerable, on that basis. My argument was on quite a different basis, as a reading of it would show.

You do say, at one point, "Again, I think it is naive to think that you know more about national security...than the members of CFIUS." It's true that I'm no expert on national security. On the other hand, we're speaking here of the people who failed to prevent 9/11, despite numerous warnings; the people who did such a marvelous job with Hurricane Katrina, despite numerous and timely warnings; the people who had no viable plan for postwar Iraq. Against this appalling record you offer their meticulous plans for port security, as written on sheets of paper. They say actions speak louder than words. Personally, I wouldn't trust them to babysit my daughter. She's too old for it anyway.

Ships that pass in the night. C'est la vie.

[ March 05, 2006, 05:01: Message edited by: Cernak ]

5. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    The point is, unless there is a legal basis for denying the transaction it cannot be denied. Now Congress may provide such legal basis... we'll have to see.

Seriously though, if we can't trust any one of those members of CFIUS to do the job correctly, which is specifically to look at these transactions from the point of view of national security (and it only takes one), then we have much MUCH more serious problems than allowing DPW to buy assets from P&O.

The idea is to make sure the containers are safe BEFORE they reach the US. How is preventing DPW from taking on operations IN the US going to help that?

6. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I believe that was Cernak's point, actually. I further believe I can sum up the problem with three words: the Bush Administration.

7. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    *shrug* If that's what you believe, then there's nothing I can say to change your mind.

Yet, I still haven't seen anything to indicate how this transaction makes things any worse than they are.

8. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

P & O had an American partner, a company named Eller and Co. based in Miami. Eller was and is attempting to purchase the operational rights for the 6 ports that would be turned over to DPW...unfortunately they were blocked from further action in the US due to the speedy decision by CFIUS and left with no other option but to challenge it in a UK court, were they have no viable legal grounds according to the presiding magistrate.

That's why the deal sucks. I understand it's probably completely legal, but it still sucks.

Maybe Eller should have been an ally in the War on Terror...

9. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Eh? Can you point me to where you got this information regarding Eller & Company? My understanding about Eller is that they simply don't want to become a partner of DPW through the takeover of P&O.

Regardless, the US was not involved in the deal between P&O and anyone else as far as who would buy them; DPW won the bidding war. The only way in which the US is involved is in being able to scuttle the deal if there are any national security concerns. That is what CFIUS does; it is not involved with the individual companies' decisions about acquisitions.

Also, there was no "speedy decision by CFIUS"; it was the required 30 day review.

10. Cernak Gems: 12/31

This is not another answer to Blackthorne, it's more of a musing on this whole situation, which seems to me to be very strange.

We have here a President who has in earlier times always known how to take the common pulse and not so much respond to it as play on it. Yet now, in the case of this port deal, he deliberately takes an intransigent stand on a deal that is wildly unpopular, at a moment when his own popularity is practically in freefall, when the issue is risks to our national security, when his own talisman for four years has been national security at any and every cost. When, by his own admission, he was not told of the deal until it was done, and he could easily have repudiated it with no cost to himself; indeed, with popularity, at a time when he could use some. So why this relentless forging ahead, as though only Dubai, and no one else in the whole wide world, could possibly run our ports? Why this implacable insistence in pursuing a dubious and unpopular course?

11. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Interesting question. IMO, I don't think the Bush administration has been very good at "playing on the common pulse" as you put it. They've been very good at playing on US citizen's fears.

Unfortunately, in this situation that is a bad thing. The fears have been played on so much that a straightforward business deal that has been vetted by the administration with respect to national security is causing an uproar and people are questioning the administration's commitment to national security.

It is interesting that you said in the above post:
    yet you do not trust that the Bush administration has competently looked at the national security implications and resolved any issues.

I chalk it up to the dismal credibility the administration currently has. As I heard Adam Corolla say recently: It's not a 30 something percent approval rating, it's a 60 something percent disapproval rating :)

The only way NOT to do that would be to call into question his own administration's competency vs. national security issues. Even if he believed that (which I doubt) it would be disastrous to admit such a thing. Did you see how many departments etc. are on CFIUS? And not one of them is competent to decide national security issues in regard to this business transaction? Disastrous.

Besides, supporting the transaction is not saying that Dubai is the only one able to run terminals in those various ports, it is saying there are no national security reasons that they should not be allowed to. Remember, this is a business deal where DPW is buying P&O; there must be a reason for the US to be able to prevent the deal. The US did not go out and solicit DPW to run the port terminals.

12. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

@BTA
    It's been hard to find any concrete and succinct information on Eller's involvement in this entire deal. My tenuous understanding of the situation has come from piecing together bits from literally dozens of news stories. For some reason the "Eller" factor has been incredibly under-reported.

I do know that now the number of ports affected has jumped from 6 to 21 and it has something to do with the partnership agreements that existed between P&O and Eller...I'm trying to find out if this is effectively going to squeeze US based Eller out of the port management part of their business...which is why they were fighting it in the first place.

I still think the deal stinks...but I guess one man's steaming heap of poop is another man's rose ;) .

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.