1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Hmm... still no link between games and behaviour?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by chevalier, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Well...I believe that violent games have a tendency to indulge the darker aspects of an individual if and ONLY if they have a predisposition towards these things...

For instance, I hate blood and gore and I definitely can't stand all those gory movies like Saw and war movies where guys have their intestines spilling out...

My room-mate however, had a collection of internet clips like the one where the russian soldier was having his throat cut, an Arab guy was getting publicly castrated, animals being slaughtered etc etc...and he thought it was funny... :eek:

I prefer RPGs and strategy games...my roomie loves stuff like Painkiller, Postal 2, F.E.A.R etc...so I think this is a perfect example of what I believe with regard to violence in games...

2. The Magister Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Ever played Black and White (1 or 2)?
    You could eather be a god of peace and love, or war and death.
    The point I'm trying to make is that the lives of hundreds of others depend on your choices, and my concious won't let me be evil (sad but true). On the other hand I have no trouble finding inventive and amusing ways of killing people in RST's and FPS's. The effect on the person can depend on the game type, the realism of the game, and the level of involvment the player experiences.

3. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Only kids going bananas after playing a comp game that I have heard of are american kids. And one swedish guy who had played r\l roleplaying stuff. Chopped a friends head of with an axe. aparantly he was a vampire lord.....so I guess he was in-character.

4. Abomination Gems: 26/31

If I remember correctly America has some of the highest gun-related crime in the world so it's no real surprise that the kids there would be into gun-related crimes also. America also seems to be the country with a reputation for people who try to shy away from personal responsibility so parents would rather blame computer games for their childrens' erratic behaviour than their own lack of sound parenting.

As for the Sweedish guy, he's obviously a horrible role player as a Vampire Lord wouldn't be so vulgar to use a battle axe, he'd paralyse his foe with his dominating will and then drain his victims blood via the fangs in his mouth. Using a battle axe is just some derranged kid seeking attention.

5. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I have to disagree. By taking this tack, it sounds like you're on the nature side of the nature vs. nurture debate? As I stated in my previous point I'm on the nurture side. If games like that are all you play, movies like that are all you watch and you have a crap home life where you're abused, then of course you will have a predisposition to violence and all that, because for you it would be "normal".

6. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    people seem to be looking at games as black and white lately, some university in indianna recently claimed that they had proof that violent video games had short term effects such as loss of self control, they carried out this study by watching the behaviour of kids after playing games. but i feel that the results were unfair, they failed to mention what games were played, games are not black and white there are alot of grey areas. i can play a violent game such as FEAR, and ill be fine, why? because i kick arse. but then i can play mortal combat, and itll drive me nuts, because ill reach opponents who i cannot defeat, and ill play it over and over to try and beat them and get more and more worked up and frustrated - because i cannot win. the same can be said for nonviolent games such as gran trismo and fifa, if you cannot win you get frustrated and wound up, then you lose a degree of self control.

in the case of the study, they probably had the kide play an annoying violent game so they left the room frustrated and then a non violent game that any 5 year old can beat leaving them leave the room pacified.

7. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I do not think violence in games causes violent behavior. Prehaps the desire for violence draws some people to violent games.

USA Football is a violent game. Martial Arts is violent; some very violent.

Driving brings out violent feelings in many people. I admit that it does in me but so far I have managed to control myself.

Lots of things can cause rage. My computer is one good example.

What I see as an attitude of "Let's wrap everyone up in a cacoon and take responsibility for what they do away from them." certainly annoys me at best and sometimes makes me very angry.

I am responsible for my behavior, the captain of my soul and I do not want anyone taking that away from me. Give me liberty or shoot me!

:smash: :hippy:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.