1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How should the U.S. respond?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by The Great Snook, May 11, 2004.

1. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Well, I didn't watch it and don't think I ever could bring myself to... for a couple of reasons. One, I don't think my breakfast would stay down....and...Two, for some reason I can't shake a deep rooted feeling that my viewing it validates the reason that it was made and gives these creatures the effect they're looking for -- to mock this man's death, in a sense. It's a violation of everything decent and I won't be a party to it -- even in the viewing of it.

2. Tarrasque

Tarrasque Whoever said Paladins had to be charismatic? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Unfortunately I doubt that they would have even given him that concession.

Fanatics like that do not care about such things as compassion, sympathy or kindness. All they care about is gaining as much twisted pleasure out of other people's suffering as they can.

3. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Then again, it's also possible that it's not really that big of a crisis. In other words, nasty stuff happens in war and occupation, and that doesn't necessarily mean that the US is failing in Iraq. Militaries expect to work in crisis situations, hence popular use of US military slang like SNAFU and FUBAR, slang that I think was widely used even before WW2.

So, as much as I think that Bush should be sent back to Texas or Connecticut or wherever he came from in November, and as much as I think that this war was waged on false pretenses, I'm still not at all convinced that the world won't end up a better place down the line because of the Iraq adventure.

4. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Spellbound, I took no pleasure in seeing a human die. No at all. But maybe there is a lesson here? That there is a price to be paid when we mess with other cultures? Or perhaps that war does not bring peace and overall betterment of humanity?
    I dont know. Those murderers must be brought to justice. But watching this helps me realize that we are dealing with an alien people, it makes me understand what our (your) actions have created, that they utterly reject us and that we should act accordingly.
    Of course we can ignore what they want us to see, but we might fail to understand what they are prepared to do and that the western nations are in grave danger. In the long run. To hear about something isnt the same as seeing it with your own eyes.

5. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Dendri -- I understand your viewpoint, but to me -- I don't need to view horror to know that it's horror. There is no good that could come from me seeing it. They WANT it to be sensationalized... that's their goal.... for all Americans to see what an eye for an eye means. Well, I refuse. In my book, they're animals -- I don't need to see the proof.

6. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Spelly, You just sumed up why I dont want to watch it. I've seen some unpleasent things, in medical programs and the like. But watching a person die, that's not something I want to view. More so, because it was made to make a point. My viewing it is what these people want. They want me to be revolted, and for their actions to be witnessed. I'm aware of how he died and I find it terribly sad. I dont need to see it with my own eyes to feel a sense of loss or horror.

7. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Shock...

[snip]

I say no more...

[Link removed because it contained a malicious installer in a pop-up.] -Tal

[ May 16, 2004, 00:14: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

8. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Well the picture with the British soldier doing the thumbs up next to two Iraqi kids, holding up that brown piece of cardboard is actually a fake. What the cardboard really says is what the soldier predicts the scores for the football clubs Gloucester and Cirencester to actually be. How do I know this? Well, that soldier is actually from Gloucester (I think) and that picture was in the local newspapers a day or so ago being used to talk about what the soldier predicted the football scores to be.

Saying that, the other pictures aren't too pleasant reguardless of their validity

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.