1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

how to upgrade the message boards(if possible)

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by herf, Nov 29, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Run a search for signatures on the BG2 forums and ye shall be enlightened.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited December 31, 2000).]

2. herf Guest

[​IMG] septic-cookies are already used to remember your username and password, go to your preferences and select "remember my username and password for one year"
    tal-no i dont mean actual pics i mean drawings using lines, you know, kind of like this- @--->--- (its a rose!)

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Oh, ASCII art. Heh, well I'm not sure why'd you need to have that here.

4. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I know that, what I meant was you could use cookies to automatically log you into the system when you came to the Sorcerers UBB, so it tells you who is online/who is a guest etc...

5. herf Guest

sory, i misunderstood

6. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

first off, this is teh best board, nay the whole site is the best on the net. after thinking over many suggestions, i deem thsi board nearly perfect, i for one would like a spell checker.

7. herf Guest

[​IMG] i agree egg, but i still would like the margins widened or shortened or watever needs doing, would it really be such a problem to do it tal?

8. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Hmm...interesting...

I would like a spell check as i cant spell signitures to save my life!

9. herf Guest

[​IMG] oh, i've got another idea, there should be an option so that we know when someone has posted a reply in a topic that we have posted in, like the option you have when you make a new topic only you get emailed when someone posts a reply in a topic that you like! what do you think?

10. Taluntain

Media:
    I don't know what you mean by those margins herf...
    As for the spell checker... I'll try to come up with something.

11. herf Guest

[​IMG] what i mean is, you know the place whee you type in your message? well could you please re-size the margins so that they are the same width as where the message appears, can anyone else explain this beter?

12. Taluntain

Media:
    Ah, I understand what you want to say now. And well I suppose it COULD be done, but I'd have to edit some core features of UBB for that. Don't know why either...
    And besides, it could never be as wide as that because you have all that extra text on the left side.

13. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I'd like a plug-in to see who's on the message boards when I am.

I'd like to see how many registered users the message boards have and a user list too!

I'd like to see a graph for the week and time of day when the most messages are posted and when the boards are the most active.

I'd like that banner removed.

I'd like my user name in colours.

Syl...

14. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] Haha! Don't just talk Syl, DO IT!

If you pull all of it off, I will SALUTE you!

15. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

It's not in my power.

Syl...

16. Taluntain

Media:
    Ah geez. Not again. Some people just don't get it... :rolleyes:

1.) There is no such plugin for UBB. And even if there was, what on Earth would the information who is on at that time do for you? Use IRC or ICQ if you're after instant messaging.

2.) You can already see how many registered users there are. Doh. Check the front page. User list? It's accessible to admins (read, me). Don't know what you'd do with it. Everyone who posts here is registered anyway.

3.) Oh come on. Not feasible.

4.) Sure, pay me for it and I'll remove it. Easy. ;)

5.) You're colorful enough as it is. Wouldn't want to outdo it.

17. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

1) It would help me and the other posters know who's online when they are. No instant messages or that kind of silly stuff. More or less to know who we're walking with inside of Sorcerer's Place!

2) Front page I shall check right after this post! Could you make that user list a public html file we can view?

3) Sure it is. Just that no one has thought of it yet to make such a cool graph. I would love to know the high traffic days and hours of this message board.

4) You added that banner yourself did you not? You couldn't remove it yourself?

5) I already know that. But I want my registered name in UBB colours. Can you do this?

Make the S - White
    Make the y - Yellow
    Make the l - Bright Red
    Make the v - Dark Red
    Make the u - Dark Purple
    Make the s - Bright Purple

The Moonbow can stay the same. It would be very nice to have, after all, being over 1,000 posts should be rewarding!

Syl...

18. Taluntain

Media:
    1.) Check the time when the message was posted and you'll know who's online then. As if that made any difference. I still don't know WHY would this information be of any use...

2.) Nope... And even if I did make a html listing, new people register every day so it'd be a bit pointless.

3.) No it's not. Prove me wrong.

4.) I added it for a reason. Or do you think it's there just so that you can bitch about it? It doesn't bother anyone else.

5.) In not so many words... No.

Bleh. It already is rewarding. If it wasn't for my boards here you'd actually have to do some REAL work at your company. This way, you can keep yourself entertained throughout the whole day. ;)
    And besides, the fact that you've got almost 1100 posts only proves that you've got waaay more time on your hands than everybody else. (Me included).

Wish I had a job like yours where I could hang around my favorite web community all day long. :D

19. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

1) I know you're online right now, but that's it. By going to one CGI script page, I could easily see everyone online. There are those who idle and make a home in Sorcerer's Place even when they're not posting.

2) Not really. You have a CGI script that runs everytime someone applies, which updates the .htm file by adding their name to the bottom of the list. This way the full user list is always updated. The list could even have user statistics on it.

Sylvus Moonbow From Sorcerer's Place 1,100 posts Last post on 01-03-01

All the users could have that! Too cool and informative!

3) Get a graph and that will prove you wrong because everyone would love the idea of being able to look at the statistics of the forums.

4) Actually, I'm not the only one it bothers. On the Anti Sorcerer's Place Forum boards that only a select few are invited to, we all complain about it. Seriously, it would be nice to be somewhere on this site without any bloody adverts. They're so annoying!

5) Why not? Do you know how COOL it would look having Sylvus in colour?

Actually, there's not much I can really do when I'm parcing data because it bogs down my system. I can't even have SETI running at work when I'm doing so. Posting or doing text work doesn't lag so that's why I post a lot during the day. Sometimes the data takes a good 10-20 minutes to parce and if it has errors, fixing it and then parcing it again. It adds up on bad days but that only means so do my posts to help everyone here!

6) There isn't a six, but how about a TOP 10 POSTER OF THE WEEK RATING? How awesome would that be! Or statistics showing your posting percentage vs how many times you visit the board? TOP 10 ANTI SOCIAL POSTERS!

I think you need to embrace the new age of message forums and add a little more community to the already existing one.

Syl...

20. Taluntain

Media:
    Yawn. Sure, sure.
    When I'll have nothing better to do your list will certainly be something I'll consider. Until then, I have a few months worth of stuff that I want to do before that.

Anyway, if everyone got what they wanted I'd be driving a BMW and living in a mansion and have someone else run the site for me.

But damn, life's not fair eh?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.