1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How's Your Stimulus?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    But martaug, at the time Obama took office, the national debt was ALREADY almost $11 trillion. I don't even agree with the starting figure that article is using (which is $7 trillion). Doubling $7 trillion is obviously different than doubling $11 trillion. I also don't recall you being so vehement again Bush running up the deficit all these years - but that's a point for another thread.

Here's what I don't get about the source: The President's Budget does not dictate funding out to 10 years. There is no guarantee that Obama will be President 5 years from now, and it is certain he won't still be president 10 years from now. So it appears that what the CBO is stating is that the debt will about triple in 10 years regardless of who the president is, and what party that president is from. In other words, there are sunk costs in the budget that exist independent of who the president is.

This seems absurd to me. That tripling of the debt is the same, regardless of whether or not Obama wins re-election, or whether there is democrat or repbublican administration in 2012 and 2016? It would certainly appear that the presidential administrations of 2012 and 2016 would have some impact on the deficit in 2019? Apparantly, if the CBO is to be believed, the impact is a lot less than one would believe? (In fact, if it is to be believed, the impact is negligible?)

3. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Aldeth, as I understand it, the President's Budget does not dictate spending period. Congress determines spending, not the president, right? That being said, though, the President has a lot of sway, and long-term plans generally seem to be stuck to, even when there's a change mid-way. On those notes, I believe it's about as reasonable to saddle Obama with the next 10 years of budget as it is to saddle him with any budget at all (as opposed to saddling Congress, which definitely still bears a large portion of the burden).

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Technically, the President's Budget (PB) doesn't dictate anything until it is approved by Congress. But it does cover a specific period - 5 years. I work with this stuff all the time, and most funding projections cover 5 years. This year's PB will cover fiscal years 2010-2014. (And Congress is only approving the money for this fiscal year - the other years are estimates and are not approved this far in advance.) Then, this summer, there is a process where all major government programs make budget requests for upcoming fiscal years. The document is called the Budget Estimate Submission. I work on that document too. Since the budget is typically approved for the following fiscal year by the time the BES is released, the BES is making a request for the next PB, and thus the one we produce this summer will be for fiscal years 2011-2015.

Long term plans are generally not stuck to - especially when you change parties as well as administrations. Look at what is happening right now, and what happened in 2001 and 1993 as other examples. That's why the PB and BES are submitted annually.

I understand that the government has to plan ahead, and most money is obligated to different programs early in the fiscal year. Because of this, when you get a new administration, there is some lag time for the incoming administration to get their funding priorities in order. Obama is currently working on the FY2010 budget. Since most of the FY2009 money has already been obligated to different programs (even though most of it hasn't been spent yet), there is little point in Obama trying to adjust the FY2009 Bush budget. Similarly, when Obama leaves office (regardless of whether it is January of 2013 or 2017) his budget for that FY will stay in effect. No president ever controls the budget for 10 years as you suggest. It's the same number of years he's on office: typically either 4 or 8. All presidents have little control over the budget the year they take office, but have significant control the year after they leave.

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Actually, I just did some research, and I discovered that a typical PB only delineates money for 2 years, although it will detail out projected estimates for 5 years.

However, there is an exception. When a new administration comes in, the PB is only for one fiscal year. So Obama's budget, expected to be released in early May, will only be for FY2010. (I should have remembered this from when Bush took office in 2001.)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.