1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I need a HUGE favor.

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by _Irenicus_, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Would you even need the Miscast Magic with Teleport Field active? I'd think that alone would disrupt casting.

2. Pseudospawn Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

You think teleporting every round would be that much of a hit? With Improved Alacrity, Robe of Vecna & Amulet of Power spells fire off almost instantly.

Perhaps it should be every two rounds like the other boots of phasing.

3. Sikret Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I don't like the 'miscast magic' idea. If the item is going to boost the mage's spellcasting and mental abilities, let it be so and let it do what it aims for.

Disadvantages are best be placed on other fields. Immunity to healing spells and the penalties to attributes were suggested with this point in mind. A mage still takes damage even if he isn't engaged in hand-to hand combat. In the long term, immunity to healing spells will show its effects. The penalties to dexterity and constitution result in no bonus for AC and HP.

Making it a robe is an indirect disadvantage to prevent using Robe of Vecna together with this item.

All new suggestions are welcome, but it's better that disadvantages are not going to corrupt spellcasting ability. More penalties on AC or saving throws come to mind. Immunity to more beneficial clerical spells is not a bad idea either.

4. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    While you may not want to implement disadvantages that hinder spellcasting, I quite like the idea of a small miscast penalty. It would be easily explained- as the mage is throwing spells out faster they are more likely to make a mistake. A similar idea would be a chance of a wild surge occuring after each spell due to the rapid build-up of magical energy. Overall, I think the second idea is better.

If there is a way to do so, perhaps you could mask the wearer's hitpoints while they wear it. Yet another idea is a -4 penalty to Saves vs Spells due to the wearer being so attuned to the flow of magic that they have trouble resisting its effects.

Keeping it as a robe is probably a good idea to prevent its use with the Robe of Vecna- but on the other hand, some people would want to use it just to powergame so perhaps an amulet is a compromise (so cannot be used with Amulet of Power)?

Hope my rambling has somehow helped.

5. Sikret Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Since this project started with a request in this forum, I will make it as the majority of players (in this forum) want the item. It will be my gift to SP members. :)

I will devise a poll for it in the near future.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.