1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I need your advice, my fellow Sorcerers...

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Arctic Daishi, Apr 5, 2013.

?

What would you do in my situation?

1. I'd tell her the next time you see her.

30.8%
  2. I'd wait a while before telling her.

7.7%
  3. I'd not mention it, let bygones be bygones.

46.2%
  4. I'd do something else (please state in reply).

15.4%
  1. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

That could almost be taken as not a compliment...:p.. almost a "Gee thanks? I guess..." type of moment.

You're right Gaear. Lot's of varying opinions. Probably the same variance he got from his friends. I am guessing he is now shaking his head thinking "...why did I even bother asking a bunch of gamers...". :D

2. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Either that or he's creating a spread sheet. ;)

"FWIW" was a nod to how I was about to contradict myself and add to the piles of advice I just spurned, not an "I'm only agreeing with Blades here, so take this with a grain of salt" moment. Sorry. :D

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    That is correct; there was no mocking intent on my part.

I also did not think AD just wanted to get laid; I was expressing my thoughts that "truths" someone with more experience would find trivial may not be seen as trivial by someone with less experience. Which could end the relationship before it could really begin. That was in response to your "why not be truthful; what can you lose?" question.

4. Arctic Daishi Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Media:
    Thanks everyone for the advice! I accidentally ran into her while reading outside in this beautiful weather. I ended up telling her about what happened with her cousin and, oddly enough, she didn't seem the least bit bothered by it. She actually thought it was (her words) "awesome" and she told me about how her cousin talked about me in the past. A few hours later I received a perfectly normal message from her on Facebook, carrying on a previous conversation we had; completely unrelated to her cousin.

I guess things worked out. Thanks again everyone!

5. Arkite

Arkite Crash or crash through Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

glad it worked out!

6. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Cool. Which means my "be casual and don't oversell" advice was actually the right one in this case. Will wonders never cease. :D

Arctic Daishi likes this.
  7. Vorona

Vorona Shadow-Whisperer

I'm glad it worked out, too!

Silvery: Oh, shoot. I thought I'd edited out all the "datings" and changed them to "crushes" because the first time I read it, I thought he said he had dated her, but then after writing my post, I reread it and saw that it was just a crush. I did suspect (rightly, it seems) that there was some pestering going on that would have led her to think he was stalking her, which is why it was more than just nothing.

8. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

Others have already hinted at it, but let me reiterate: There are things that might cause a hiccup in a relationship if you keep them a secret, and then there are things that most certainly will.

Having a crush and an incident with someone's cousin rests squarely in the former. Even more so since all of that happened well before you've met. It's not something you should actively try to hide, but you don't have any real obligations to inform about it either. I can relate to WANTING to be open and up-front about it, but going into such details very early on kinda pulls the plug on the big "so, I'm assuming we're dating now" issue prematurely. Can be cute if she's on the same page with you to begin with, but could get really awkward if she has no real romantic interest for you.

There's nothing wrong with honesty, even brutal honesty, but timing is also a big part of getting the message across in a sensible manner. For example, I don't see much point in boasting having a daughter, a messy divorce and lingering debts caused by it in my closet of skeletons as a part of my initial pick-up line. Rather, I'd rather see some signs of a potential mutual interest developing first before dropping the bomb.

9. Vorona

Vorona Shadow-Whisperer

This is slightly off-topic, but I'd prefer not creating a whole new post about it. I agree with Sir Rechet for the most part, but it also depends on who you are and what your personal style is. There are some things that I used to bring up fairly early on because while I like dating, I also tend to be picky and cautious at first (now, my very conservative school plays a factor, so I might not be as forthcoming due to job worries). If you've read my friendzone post, you know that I don't generally actually feel attracted to the guys I'm dating, unless we've already been friends for awhile. I just don't *get* attracted until we've had some major conversations, and if I'm worried about physical contact, I don't relax enough to have those. So, when I DO go on a date that's clearly a date with someone I don't know well, I'm usually the one less invested in it, and more curious. Because again (for those of you wondering why I'd date someone I wasn't attracted to): just because I'm not yet attracted to the guy, it doesn't mean I won't be later.

So, while I don't bring up past history about past boyfriends, etc., I'm pretty up front about other potentially controversial topics: my religion, the fact that I don't want to have kids, my love of languages and grammar. When I've talked to my mom about my past first dates, her response is always "What? You told him that? On the first date? Nooo . . . ! You wait until later." But my thinking is: why wait until I'm invested and really care about him? Then if I tell him and he can't accept it, I'll be heartbroken. If it happens now, no big deal. I've considered that once I actually have time in my life and am not struggling just to make a normal life that I might start an internet dating profile. I'm planning on putting it all out there, even including my need to be friends for a long time first. But that's quite a ways in the future. My life is not settled enough for me to actively pursue romance. If one pops up, well, I won't ignore it, but I'm not going to go out TRYING to complicate my life that much.

In Arctic's case, I could see that he was really worried about it, so I figured him mentioning it would make sense, just to clear the air. If he's sitting there worrying about it, he won't have fun :). And dating should be fun!

10. Gaear

Media:
    Maybe so. Accusations of stalking and being creepy and clingy and weird rest squarely in the latter. A 'hiccup' would be putting it mildly. Genuine stalking often results in restraining orders after all, and it's generally considered part and parcel with serious potential criminal behavior. Would restraining orders be worth mentioning? Or only later, if she happens to bring it up? :p

She: "Ummm, Johnny? My cousin said something about, um, having a restraining order against you?"

He: "Ah. Oh yes that. Well yes, but I didn't really think it was worth mentioning. Until now. Don't worry, it expires in 37 weeks. I should be good for Christmas at your mom's. So ... wanna make out?"

11. Vorona

Vorona Shadow-Whisperer

True, but I'm not sure it would be something you'd talk about at the VERY beginning of a relationship. My guess would be around the time when you realize you're not just having random dates, but are actually "seeing" each other. But yeah, the person who had the restraining order should bring it up, particularly before any major events like going to the parents' house for Christmas. I think if it came out too early, it might sound like bragging or like he's still not over the cousin, both of which would also be bad.

12. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm getting the feeling I'm missing something, Vorona. :confused: It might be my non-native English, but those 2 quotes seem to contradict.

13. Vorona

Vorona Shadow-Whisperer

Ha! I can see that. No, what I do for myself is not what I'd suggest to others. Most people, on a first date, are already more invested than I am, so it makes sense for them to wait. But I don't usually care that much, so I tend to blurt it all out. If you're already invested and want to make a good impression, then by all means don't follow what I do. I really usually don't care about making a good impression because I'd rather make a bad impression and have them still like me than make a good impression and worry that I wouldn't end up living up to that good impression. But I'm neurotic like that. I wouldn't suggest others be neurotic, though.

That said, there are still some things I don't go into, that could potentially cause a lot of awkwardness. I haven't had a restraining order, but that's probably something I wouldn't blurt out at a first date. I also don't talk about past relationships. Or sexual preferences.

Anyway, I didn't mean to sound contradictory.

Master of Nuhn likes this.
  14. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Vorona - I checked your profile and you're 36. Your dating criteria and what you are looking for in a relationship are substantially different than what I suspect apply to AD. For example, I absolutely agree with you about raising the idea of no kids early in the game. You are at an age where, if your relationship actually leads to marriage, the kids concept is going to be rather immediate. Not so with someone who is 20.

Same probably applies to the relative importance (or lack thereof) of religion, although that particular topic would also have a wider age range application.

As for a love of grammar, well, you will recall (possibly) that I mentioned you are all a bunch of weirdos in that other thread . . . This would be an example of that. :p

15. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Well, I took it to be both "wanting a relationship" and "wanting to get laid". AD is, afterall, about 20 years younger than you and I. When I was his age, sure, I wanted a relationship, but I also wanted to get laid. Getting laid was certainly higher on my list of priorities than getting married. I'm NOT saying that all my relationships in that time frame were superficial, nor am I suggesting anything about AD's motives. I'm just saying that you're presenting it as a false choice - that he must decide whether he wants a relationship OR to get laid, when chances are, AD is shooting for both.

16. Vorona

Vorona Shadow-Whisperer

Yep. That's why I said that part about me was a bit off topic, and why Master of Nuhn got confused. It was off-topic, since I know that what I want/where I am is very different from where Arctic Daishi is. The reason I suggested he say something was mainly because he sounded so worried about it. But we had started talking at least a little about relationships in general and when to bring up information in general, which is what led to that post.

Well, yes, that's just one of my areas of weirdness :)

17. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Saying anything would just come across real awkward. The more you talk about how it doesn't matter to you, the more you are hammering home the opposite message.

Nothing good can come from discussing it. It it is later 'discovered', and you are accused of manipulating her to get close to her cousin, just deal with the fallout. At worst, you will lose a friend in the distant future. Or maybe by then, she will know you well enough not to believe you were trying to get to her cousin.

Silence is golden.

Edit: woops, didn't read all replies...

18. Gaear

Media:
    ^ You have to admit that was kind of funny. ;)

19. Arctic Daishi Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Media:
    Our social link is much stronger now and there haven't been any problems since then. We've been hanging out a lot on campus and chatting online. Monday we hung out for a few hours and I am beginning to suspect (based on how she was acting), that she may be starting to like me.

Bladezuez likes this.
  20. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    :D I'm truly glad you found it amusing!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.