1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Internet debates, what's the point?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Morgoroth, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    @DR: I also see a difference in the scale of debates and arguments. To my mind, a debate is more comprehensive, about a larger issue or group of issues, while an argument is likely to be over details. A debate can be structured of a - hopefully logical! - series of arguments.

A good debate presents me with the opportunity to learn things that I didn't know before, or clarify misconceptions, or hone my ability to argue (!) my own positions. All three of those are enjoyable.

And, as HB pointed out, some of the WTF!-moments that crop up are damned funny. :roll:

2. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Amen to that, BOM in general helps in giving me a better and broader understandment of the english language.

Now back to the subject shall we? To me the internet is merely the means, the tool which the debate goes through. It does not matter if it is in real life or on the internet, when someone is clearly shut to other's opinion it will always lead to bashing. Also I think that internet debates provide an advantage over real life debates, that is being annonymous. Most of us will never see X or Y in real life, and even if X's opinion is clearly contradictory according to Y the thing ends here. While in real life knowing the person or even seeing it it can be harder to keep one's head cool. Well IMO anyway.

3. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

It's sometimes rather frustrating to talk to people, but that's life. Everyone is entitled to their opinions as long as they don't become a law. ;)

So the main point, IMO, isn't about winning, but having fun while writing. Personally I have noticed that there is a fine line between becoming too "invested" to the topic and just typing in a reply for the fun of it. The difference is that the first one can get ugly.

4. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    :lol:

5. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

In principle, I agree that debates, even over the internet, can be fruitful in the sense that they can broaden your horizon, give you new ideas to chew on. But usually it's just :bang: :deadhorse: .

Personally, I can't be arsed to participate in internet debates much these days. I got sick of the fortresses of self deception some people have erected that can never, ever be brought down. Plus, the "Here's what I claim, now why don't YOU find something to back it up, and then we'll talk" -attitude started to grate my nerves somewhat. It's just not worth the time and effort.

Nevertheless, I still enjoy following the Alley debates. It's due to the sensible, intelligent, knowledgable and apparently tireless individuals whose posts I often learn new things from (and who actually back their stuff up with something).

6. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Ahhh, a thread about debating over whether or not to debate. How intriguing....

7. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I'm not much of a "debater". But enjoys reading them. I believe that debating is not necessarily an argument... that is if you consider "argument" as a form of conflict rather than a certain view to a certain topic. An argument (conflict) will most of the time have it's participant wanting to attack each other. A debate, can make each participants respect each other, despite their different points of view.

I also believe that debating, internet or not, have their use. For one, reading them can either close or open your mind to certain issues. Another, it tells me what kind of people these debaters are. And lastly, depending on the topic or flow, they can be informative, destructive, or simply downright entertaining.

8. Ofelix

Media:
    Well, acording to www.dictionary.reference.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/argument)

Argument, /ˈɑrgyəmənt/

–noun
    1. an oral disagreement; verbal opposition; contention; altercation: a violent argument.
    2. a discussion involving differing points of view; debate: They were deeply involved in an argument about inflation.
    3. a process of reasoning; series of reasons: I couldn't follow his argument.
    4. a statement, reason, or fact for or against a point: This is a strong argument in favor of her theory.
    5. an address or composition intended to convince or persuade; persuasive discourse.
    6. subject matter; theme: The central argument of his paper was presented clearly.

I think it's a least a good way to express one's point of view and sometimes even defend it. I don't think it's useless per se, only when both side haven't an open mind to try to understand the other's view.

And Barmy; what's so funny about my statement?

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    It's funny because you said you like to talk to others on SP to keep up on your English skills, and then you used the word "understandment" which isn't a word in the English vocabulary. Most natvie Enlish speakers knew you meant to use the word "understanding" instead, but it was humorous because you said you actually use the site to improve your English, and while doing so provided a case in point of why that may be needed.

10. Ofelix

Media:
    Ah well yes, but I never claimed to be perfectly fluent in english either now did I ? I stand by my point nonetheless, my English *has* improved over the years because of SP.

11. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ofelix, we weren't laughing at you per se, but it was funny. Please don't take it as a knock on you, as I'm sure Barmy didn't intend it that way. And yes, I agree your English has greatly improved over the years, I've definitely noticed. :)

Now if I can just find a German Sorcerer's Place I can brush up myself... ;)

12. Ofelix

Media:
    Oh I didn't thought you were, I simply wished to know why.
    Sie sprechen deutsches Todeskaninchen? ( :p ) Meins ist auch recht schlecht.

Anyway back to topic or lack of; Errr... I already stated my opinion, so carry on people!

13. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I couldn't help noting the irony in the praise for 'How to Win Friends and Influence People' by the reigning IotW.

Also, I shall hurry and post a new thread for Flix and DR.

14. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

I enjoy debating on SP (most other sites are filled with people screaming back and forth and not actually making points (besides: I'm an idiot...)) because I like seeing well thought out arguments on sides of issues I either haven't thought about, I don't agree with, or was unaware of. Many times the members of SP have changed my mind because they make plausible and meaningful arguments.

15. nior Gems: 24/31

@Ofelix, I didn't understand your response to my post. I think it is clear that I did not have a problem with the term "argument". And it seems like you think I thought a debate is useless. Also, it's just not about the people who debate, there are spectators or audience who might or might not be affected by the debate, whether for good or for bad.

16. Ofelix

Media:
    @nior: I simply gave a dictionary's definition of the word "argument" to see what it's really about. I didn't do it as a shortcomming on your understanding or anything. Ah yes now I understand, it seems I unfortunately didn't writte what was intented to your quote, something like " yeah sometimes they just tell what kind of person he really is for exemple just read the "Homosexuality and religion debate " The text following was simply my own opinion on the matter. My bad :p

[ August 30, 2007, 22:47: Message edited by: Ofelix ]

17. nior Gems: 24/31

No harm done. ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.