1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is Advertising for a Christian Roommate a Civil Rights Violation?

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by NOG (No Other Gods), Oct 23, 2010.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I pretty much agree with Ragusa here. If you are a landlord and refuse to rent out space to someone based on some criteria like their religion, I can see that as discrimination. However, when you are looking for a roommate, that to me seems completely different. As Ragusa correctly points out, you're actually sharing living space in such an arrangement. To rent to someone you know you won't get along with would be idiocy.

To me specifying that you are looking for a Christian roommate (especially posting such at a church!) saves everyone who isn't a Christian the time to call. Then again, by posting such in a church (presumably a Christian one) is probably unnecessary, as I doubt there are many non-Christians attending a Christian church.

2. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

On the other hand, Aldeth, many churchgoers have friends who are not Christian, friends who they love. I can see them sending Ashok the Atheist to Connor the Christian's place to apply for a place to live. Therefore, in a church or not, if he has had bad experiences with non-Christian roommates in the past, Connor might feel it necessary to request that only fellow believers apply.

Connor might get a real awakening, though, when an ostensible Christian turns out to be a really lousy roommate in terms of hygiene, monetary punctuality, music choices, boundary etiquette . . . .

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.