1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is atheism a religion?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by LKD, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Yes, the pagans had a system of virtue that crafts excellence of character. Aristotle, Plato, Socrates and others indentified a system of virtues: The Golden Mean, a concept of justice, and Socrates' pursuit of self-knowledge. Socrates believed that self-knowledge would lead to knowing what is right, (ignorance leads to evil) and only then could one be truly happy. Plato indentified the notion of the archetypes, although he never used the term. And Aristolte relied on the Golden Mean, or a balance or "moderation" in everything.

Every religion has its own system of virtue: Islamic, Hebrew, Christian, Hindu, etc. There are places where they overlap and yet, still place greater emphasis on certain virtues. For instance, Christ placed emphasis on Mercy, Generosity, and Forgiveness. Thomas Jefferson constructed his own Bible out of the Four Gospels, disregarding what he thought irrelevant (that would really drive Joac crazy), and fashioned what is known as the "Jefferson Bible." TJ believed that Christian virtue was of the highest order:

I'm not sure that I agree with everything that TJ comments on, but there are some things in that comment I agree with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_Bible

2. nunsbane

nunsbane

Chandos,
    An athiest who sees the merit of and follows the righteous path that Christ laid out and holds mercy, generosity, and forgiveness in the highest regard does TJ one better. The athiest disregards the entire idea of a higher power and doesn't have to dig through a dung pile to find the diamonds.

3. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Nunsbane - TJ was a deist, and did not believe in a personal god, certainly not a "Christian god." So I guess he chose the Christian virtues without being a Christian. And as I've commented before on this thread, I really don't care if atheists believe in God or not. It's really not my problem, so I don't feel the need to convince anyone of anything in that regard.

I think the points you mention are interesting though. I guess the only point I'm not clear on is what you mean by "one better" within the context of who believes which system of virtues.

4. nunsbane

nunsbane

By one better I meant that an athiest can pare down the code of conduct even further than 46 pages....thinking of it now, that makes less sense than I thought it did when I wrote it.

I also couldn't care less who believes in a god or not. I wouldn't try to sway an individual to believe one way or another. I was just curious as to why you choose to believe in God when you could just simply live the Word instead.

5. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Because I do both. :)

6. nunsbane

nunsbane

Well, there I have it! :)

7. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    The answer to this that Christianity (and Judaism, btw, and I think Islam) teaches is simple. Living a good life, though good, isn't enough. For Christians, redemption from sin cannot be earned, it can only be accepted. Living a good and moral life should be the result of redemption, not the cause of it. The only source of redemption is from God.

After all, if you follow His laws, as laid down by His religion, and you recognize that, in the past, you've broken those laws, it is to Him you must turn to seek reconciliation.

On the other hand, if all you seek is to feel good about yourself, then go ahead.

Chandos:
    I have many problems with the Jefferson Bible. First and foremost is the intentional redaction of all mentioning of the supernatural. Jefferson took the ideal of extracting Christ's teachings from the influences of outsiders, and undid it by doing so with his own influences. Far from creating a 'pure' Christ, he created a Jeffersonian christ. Not only that, but this is a hopeless christ, for there is no ressurection. The dead stay dead according to Jefferson, and the only application of his Bible is to this life. Furthermore, in redacting the supposed outside influences on the Bible, Jefferson also redacted all sense of context or setting. It's like only having the spoken lines from Oliver Twist, with no sense of who does what where inbetween them.

8. Chandos the Red

Media:
    I agree. I think Jefferson was trying to distill what he thought was important in the Gospels, and not achieve a general reading of the scriptures.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.